[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 49 of 49
  1. #1

    Mary Wilson The Way We Were (My Tribute to The Supremes)

    Here is a nice tribute done by Torreano Lamont:


  2. #2
    This is just lovely. Fantastic performance by Mary. Never seen that clip where Flo is signing autograph. Thanks Marv.

  3. #3
    Lolololololololololololol

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    This is just lovely. Fantastic performance by Mary. Never seen that clip where Flo is signing autograph. Thanks Marv.
    I am not sure if that was in Vietnam or at a VA here in the States.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I am not sure if that was in Vietnam or at a VA here in the States.
    I don't remember Mary or any of the Supremes were in Viet Nam

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I don't remember Mary or any of the Supremes were in Viet Nam
    Those shots were from the Orient video.

  7. #7
    Very well done tribute and the performance from Mary is my favorite rendition of "The Way We Were".

  8. #8
    I like this tribute. Mary's rendition of "The Way We Were" is beautiful and touching.

  9. #9
    Here is her original performance done on television in the U.K. in late 1979:


  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Here is her original performance done on television in the U.K. in late 1979:

    Sorryy. thats a real forced and very mediocre performance.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Sorryy. thats a real forced and very mediocre performance.
    To each his own, I reckon. But for me this is as good as this song gets. The only other versions of this song that I like is Donna Summer and a performance Gladys Knight did where she sang "Evergreen" which segued into "The Way We Were". These three are the only ones I can stomach. As for Mary's, she delivers. Her voice is beautiful here and the arrangement really plays to her strengths as a vocalist.

    I'm surprised Diana Ross never performed this song, with it being so popular. I wonder if I would've liked her version or not.

  12. #12
    I really don't like this arrangement of the song at all. To twee for my taste. Mary's vocal here is ok, but nothing special.
    As great as Gladys Knight's version is, for me the song will always belong to Babs. Her version of this song on the film soundtrack as opposed to the single is stunning.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I really don't like this arrangement of the song at all. To twee for my taste. Mary's vocal here is ok, but nothing special.
    As great as Gladys Knight's version is, for me the song will always belong to Babs. Her version of this song on the film soundtrack as opposed to the single is stunning.
    Totally agree. Babs does the ultimate version
    No-one else comes close, not even Gladys. Mary was brave to attempt it but ultimately foolish. Her vocal limitations are badly exposed. She should leave iconic songs like this to the professionals. I don't think this would have given Babs or Gladys any sleepless nights.

  14. #14
    I agree. some songs are so iconic that no matter how hard a worthy artist attempts to reinterpret or perform a song, they'll always be compared to the original.

    Like today, it would be a challenge to pull of a successful stage version of Sound Of Music or Grease because the movie and soundtracks are SO ingrained in the general public conscience. Yes of course there have been revivals and they certainly have merit. But everyone still compares them.

    And this is probably unjust. but it's a reality. Diana owns Mountain. The supremes own Baby Love. Barbra owns The Way.

    Mary probably would have been better served to have sung either one of her OWN songs from the Sups catalog or choose a cover that isn't so immediately identifiable with another artist. i would have LOVED to have heard Mary sing I Keep It Hid or A Love Like Mine in their live performances. And during the Scherrie years, she did do more of the album tracks with her lead.

    Did they ever add You Are The Heart Of Me to their stage shows? lots of versions of her lip syncing it on tv. but did they do it on stage live?

    on FB someone just mentioned that he was at a show way back in the day and Mary did Don't Let My Teardrops in the show. wow!! it wasn't just done on Mike Douglas

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Totally agree. Babs does the ultimate version
    No-one else comes close, not even Gladys. Mary was brave to attempt it but ultimately foolish. Her vocal limitations are badly exposed. She should leave iconic songs like this to the professionals. I don't think this would have given Babs or Gladys any sleepless nights.
    I'd love to know what vocal limitations you are speaking of. She sings the song in a very modulated way, and even flies into her head voice without any trouble. So what is "badly exposed"? Her singing of this song is excellent, and far from foolish. Many people sang this song after it became a hit. Mary's version is a full throated, very well sung version of this song.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I'd love to know what vocal limitations you are speaking of. She sings the song in a very modulated way, and even flies into her head voice without any trouble. So what is "badly exposed"? Her singing of this song is excellent, and far from foolish. Many people sang this song after it became a hit. Mary's version is a full throated, very well sung version of this song.
    I agree. She sounds great. Of course everyone has their likes and dislikes, for whatever reason, but for my tastes Mary does this song very well. Personally I've never understood the Streisand hype. She is certainly a great singer, but she does absolutely nothing for me. I'd rather hear Mary Wilson on any day. She doesn't try to do too much here and her reading of it is very sentimental, if that makes any sense. I ripped the audio from this performance years ago and it was in constant rotation on my ipod for a very long time.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Totally agree. Babs does the ultimate version
    No-one else comes close, not even Gladys. Mary was brave to attempt it but ultimately foolish. Her vocal limitations are badly exposed. She should leave iconic songs like this to the professionals. I don't think this would have given Babs or Gladys any sleepless nights.
    You sound crazy! Mary did an excellent job with this song.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Totally agree. Babs does the ultimate version
    No-one else comes close, not even Gladys. Mary was brave to attempt it but ultimately foolish. Her vocal limitations are badly exposed. She should leave iconic songs like this to the professionals. I don't think this would have given Babs or Gladys any sleepless nights.
    The truth and nothing but the truth Bluebrock.
    It's interesting that Streisand covered "Memory" from Cats and "I know Him So Well from Chess, two songs associated with singer Elaine Paige. As in Streisand owning the "The Way We Were", i believe Paige has the definitive version on both of those songs.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I agree. She sounds great. Of course everyone has their likes and dislikes, for whatever reason, but for my tastes Mary does this song very well. Personally I've never understood the Streisand hype. She is certainly a great singer, but she does absolutely nothing for me. I'd rather hear Mary Wilson on any day. She doesn't try to do too much here and her reading of it is very sentimental, if that makes any sense. I ripped the audio from this performance years ago and it was in constant rotation on my ipod for a very long time.
    Have you seen Streisand live? It is the ultimate concert experience. She is out there in a class of her own. I have seen all the greats live (well most of them) and no-one comes close. You will disagree and i respect your right to do so, but listening to an average singer like Mary Wilson attempting to sing this most iconic of songs makes my ears bleed. Gladys did a fine fine version, and added her own unique qualities to the song, but even she pales in comparison.
    Babs will ALWAYS own this song, but i am glad you have somehow derived some pleasure out of this particular take on it. I shall leave it at that.

  20. #20
    I don't have any major issue with the quality of Mary's performance. however i most certainly would never label it the most powerful or emotional of all the versions out there. no way. Mary just doesn't compete vocally with a singer like Barbra, and i'm not particularly a B fan. i think i have one or two albums of hers. but her vocal technique, her range, her lyrical interpretation is far beyond Mary's. And i'm not saying Mary is a poor singer. but Barbra is exceptional

    In some ways, Barbra has superior vocal techniques to Diana even. I think Diana is a strong overall live performer.

    my understanding is that as the 70s progressed (and certainly once J and L left), Mary was viewing the Sups as a platform for her raise to a solo career. If that was truly her goal, she would have been far better off to try and establish her own songs in the eyes of producers, label chiefs and the public rather than doing covers.

  21. #21
    I love the Gladys Knight version. She made it her own. However the ultimate version is Barbra Streisand’s. Barbra Streisand’s version is a classic.

  22. #22
    while Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You isn't quite the iconic song of Way We Were, it was again a cover and in the show for far too long. Sure mary did a great job with it and especially the ending in her head voice

    but she did an glorious ending on I Keep it Hid using her head voice. And what if she'd taken Heart Like Mine and worked with the arrangers to build it up into a bigger song? Now we have some tracks that are really hers and could start to help create a more defined vocal identity.

    In Diana's 70s shows, she did a great job of combining the Lady material with other jazz and r&b greats. Why didn't Mary work to establish something of more impact in their live shows for her spotlight? Eyes and the little line about men being fav things was cute, but why wasn't the show structured so that it wasn't a random one-off solo for her but something to really dig into and display her talents?

    That would have helped to give her more identity with the general public, with motown management and with other labels.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I don't have any major issue with the quality of Mary's performance. however i most certainly would never label it the most powerful or emotional of all the versions out there. no way. Mary just doesn't compete vocally with a singer like Barbra, and i'm not particularly a B fan. i think i have one or two albums of hers. but her vocal technique, her range, her lyrical interpretation is far beyond Mary's. And i'm not saying Mary is a poor singer. but Barbra is exceptional

    In some ways, Barbra has superior vocal techniques to Diana even. I think Diana is a strong overall live performer.

    my understanding is that as the 70s progressed (and certainly once J and L left), Mary was viewing the Sups as a platform for her raise to a solo career. If that was truly her goal, she would have been far better off to try and establish her own songs in the eyes of producers, label chiefs and the public rather than doing covers.
    I like Mary's voice and singing better than Barbara Streisand. Here is a Streisand song Mary covered, in her own way.....to perfection in my opinion:

    Last edited by marv2; 08-07-2019 at 06:37 PM.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I like Mary's voice and singing better than Barbara Streisand. Here is a Streisand song Mary covered, in her own way.....to perfection in my opinion:

    Hey Marv, in the comments section of this video, you say that you contributed to Mary's DREAMGIRL, MY LIFE AS A SUPREME. Did you contribute pictures, or something more?

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I like Mary's voice and singing better than Barbara Streisand. Here is a Streisand song Mary covered, in her own way.....to perfection in my opinion:

    Great video and educating comments. You sure know your showtunes marv2. Thanks for sharing.

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Hey Marv, in the comments section of this video, you say that you contributed to Mary's DREAMGIRL, MY LIFE AS A SUPREME. Did you contribute pictures, or something more?
    Ghost writer or Diane expert advisor?

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I like Mary's voice and singing better than Barbara Streisand. Here is a Streisand song Mary covered, in her own way.....to perfection in my opinion:

    Sometimes there are just no words........

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Sometimes there are just no words........
    ... except ... hee hee hee hee!!

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Have you seen Streisand live? It is the ultimate concert experience. She is out there in a class of her own. I have seen all the greats live (well most of them) and no-one comes close. You will disagree and i respect your right to do so, but listening to an average singer like Mary Wilson attempting to sing this most iconic of songs makes my ears bleed. Gladys did a fine fine version, and added her own unique qualities to the song, but even she pales in comparison.
    Babs will ALWAYS own this song, but i am glad you have somehow derived some pleasure out of this particular take on it. I shall leave it at that.
    Barbra Streisands version of Somewhere is the best version Ive EVER heard. Brings me to tears.

    Fondly,

    Roberta

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Barbra Streisands version of Somewhere is the best version Ive EVER heard. Brings me to tears.

    Fondly,

    Roberta
    Totally agree Ms Roberta.
    I was totally honoured to be asked to look after Ms Streisand on her recent visit to the UK. I had never met her previously, and i do not mind admitting that i was nervous as hell at the prospect of meeting her, but she was everything i could have wished for and more. It was one of the highlights of my life.
    The concert was also spectacular. It was an unforgettable few days in which i also got to meet Celine Dion and Lionel Richie. My only disappointment was not meeting Stevie Wonder who was strictly off limits.
    Ms Streisands voice is the greatest voice i have ever heard. No-one comes close.
    God Bless you Roberta xx

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Totally agree Ms Roberta.
    I was totally honoured to be asked to look after Ms Streisand on her recent visit to the UK. I had never met her previously, and i do not mind admitting that i was nervous as hell at the prospect of meeting her, but she was everything i could have wished for and more. It was one of the highlights of my life.
    The concert was also spectacular. It was an unforgettable few days in which i also got to meet Celine Dion and Lionel Richie. My only disappointment was not meeting Stevie Wonder who was strictly off limits.
    Ms Streisands voice is the greatest voice i have ever heard. No-one comes close.
    God Bless you Roberta xx
    I am PLOTZING with jealousy! Streisand is a once-in-a-lifetime talent and I've been lucky to attend 4 of her shows here in the NYC hometown area. Her voice is superb in it's own self and beyond that, like Aretha she knows how to use her voice to superb advantage. Did you get full body goosebumps upon first hearing her voice live?

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I am PLOTZING with jealousy! Streisand is a once-in-a-lifetime talent and I've been lucky to attend 4 of her shows here in the NYC hometown area. Her voice is superb in it's own self and beyond that, like Aretha she knows how to use her voice to superb advantage. Did you get full body goosebumps upon first hearing her voice live?
    I had actually seen her live twice previously, and yes i did get the full body goosebumps each and every time, but this was the first and probably last time that i was actually hands on and personally involved. I am not allowed to say much about it , but the experience will stay with me for the rest of my life.

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Totally agree Ms Roberta.
    I was totally honoured to be asked to look after Ms Streisand on her recent visit to the UK. I had never met her previously, and i do not mind admitting that i was nervous as hell at the prospect of meeting her, but she was everything i could have wished for and more. It was one of the highlights of my life.
    The concert was also spectacular. It was an unforgettable few days in which i also got to meet Celine Dion and Lionel Richie. My only disappointment was not meeting Stevie Wonder who was strictly off limits.
    Ms Streisands voice is the greatest voice i have ever heard. No-one comes close.
    God Bless you Roberta xx
    Im real proud of you my dear Bluebrock. What a privilege to look after a legend like Ms Streisand. Shes an amazing vocalist a great humanatarian and a lifelong Democrat and activist so shes ticked all boxes for me. God bless you my friend and remember the cream always rises to the top and you are the cream my dear. Ross and Streisand!!!! You couldnt work for two greater legends.

    TYours, with every good wish always.

    Roberta

  34. #34
    I found Mary's version in Post 1 quite impressive and I just don't see the point in comparing it with anyone else's version.

    (If I must mention anyone else's version, I must say that I've seen Gladys Knight perform this live, and Gladys's live version is better than her recorded one.)

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I just don't see the point in comparing it with anyone else's version.
    I agree with this. Mary's version is a nice surprise.

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Im real proud of you my dear Bluebrock. What a privilege to look after a legend like Ms Streisand. Shes an amazing vocalist a great humanatarian and a lifelong Democrat and activist so shes ticked all boxes for me. God bless you my friend and remember the cream always rises to the top and you are the cream my dear. Ross and Streisand!!!! You couldnt work for two greater legends.

    TYours, with every good wish always.

    Roberta
    Thank you for your kind words Ms Roberta.
    Ms Streisand was an amazing lady. She is involved in so many worthy activities, and unlike many artists i have met she seemed genuinely happy and contented. That is quite rare. It was probably the professional highlight of my career. Best wishes to you.

  37. #37
    [QUOTE=Bluebrock;530698]
    I was totally honoured to be asked to look after Ms Streisand on her recent visit to the UK. I had never met her previously, and i do not mind admitting that i was nervous as hell at the prospect of meeting her, but she was everything i could have wished for and more. It was one of the highlights of my life.

    I recently saw Barbara at Hyde Park and she was terrific. "The Man That Got Away" really got to me. I met her very briefly in 82 when a close friend of my ex was the costume designer on Yentl.
    As far as motown songs are concerned, Babs sings a rousing version of motown classic "Shake Me Wake Me" and a nice version of "You And I". So wish Diana had recorded that song...

  38. #38
    [QUOTE=Ollie9;531020]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I was totally honoured to be asked to look after Ms Streisand on her recent visit to the UK. I had never met her previously, and i do not mind admitting that i was nervous as hell at the prospect of meeting her, but she was everything i could have wished for and more. It was one of the highlights of my life.

    I recently saw Barbara at Hyde Park and she was terrific. "The Man That Got Away" really got to me. I met her very briefly in 82 when a close friend of my ex was the costume designer on Yentl.
    As far as motown songs are concerned, Babs sings a rousing version of motown classic "Shake Me Wake Me" and a nice version of "You And I". So wish Diana had recorded that song...
    Yes, I love Barbra's WMSM from the 'Lazy Afternoon' lp (a favorite) as well as YAI Great interpretations.

  39. #39
    [QUOTE=PeaceNHarmony;531035]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Yes, I love Barbra's WMSM from the 'Lazy Afternoon' lp (a favorite) as well as YAI Great interpretations.
    I don't thnk she has covered as many Motown tunes as perhaps she should have done. Her first love is for Broadway Tunes, but i love her more on the more pop orientated material. A matter of personal taste i guess.

  40. #40
    [QUOTE=Ollie9;531020]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I was totally honoured to be asked to look after Ms Streisand on her recent visit to the UK. I had never met her previously, and i do not mind admitting that i was nervous as hell at the prospect of meeting her, but she was everything i could have wished for and more. It was one of the highlights of my life.

    I recently saw Barbara at Hyde Park and she was terrific. "The Man That Got Away" really got to me. I met her very briefly in 82 when a close friend of my ex was the costume designer on Yentl.
    As far as motown songs are concerned, Babs sings a rousing version of motown classic "Shake Me Wake Me" and a nice version of "You And I". So wish Diana had recorded that song...
    That was the same show that i was involved with Ollie. Glad you enjoyed it Ms Streisand was on vintage form both on and off the stage.

  41. #41
    Anyone on this forum who doesn't normally like Barbra Streisand should take a listen to "Love Breakdown".

  42. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Anyone on this forum who doesn't normally like Barbra Streisand should take a listen to "Love Breakdown".
    I liked some songs by her in the late 70s, early 80s.

  43. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Anyone on this forum who doesn't normally like Barbra Streisand should take a listen to "Love Breakdown".
    I love this song and the entire “Songbird” album. Love her 70s and 80s material.

  44. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I love this song and the entire “Songbird” album. Love her 70s and 80s material.
    I as well. The first Barbra lp I purchased new was 'What About Today' and then every one thereafter and I have to say I've loved every one since. 'Songbird' and 'Superman' bring fond memories. The lady's got it, that's for sure.

  45. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Have you seen Streisand live? It is the ultimate concert experience. She is out there in a class of her own. I have seen all the greats live (well most of them) and no-one comes close. You will disagree and i respect your right to do so, but listening to an average singer like Mary Wilson attempting to sing this most iconic of songs makes my ears bleed. Gladys did a fine fine version, and added her own unique qualities to the song, but even she pales in comparison.
    Babs will ALWAYS own this song, but i am glad you have somehow derived some pleasure out of this particular take on it. I shall leave it at that.
    No I have not seen Streisand live and I don't care to. She's not my cup of tea. Mary Wilson is not one of my favorite Supreme voices, but her voice moves me in a way that Barbra doesn't. No right or wrongs here. People like what they like and don't what they don't.

  46. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I found Mary's version in Post 1 quite impressive and I just don't see the point in comparing it with anyone else's version.

    (If I must mention anyone else's version, I must say that I've seen Gladys Knight perform this live, and Gladys's live version is better than her recorded one.)
    The point was to take the opportunity to bash Mary Wilson, as always. It's natural to form an opinion one way or the other, but even a casual reader of this forum comes to quickly realize the point of certain posts written under specific screen names.

  47. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Anyone on this forum who doesn't normally like Barbra Streisand should take a listen to "Love Breakdown".
    I did as asked 144man and only made it to the 1:31 mark before cutting it off. It started off pretty good but I don't like the chorus. An unlikable chorus will kill an otherwise good song for me. I do have a copy of Barbra's Guilty album which I do enjoy, although mostly for the production. I also have "No More Tears" with Donna Summer and while it took many years to grow on me (because of Barbra I wasn't fond of the song), I love it now and actually view Barbra's contribution as pivotal as Donna's. But all in all the lady does nothing for me.

  48. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I did as asked 144man and only made it to the 1:31 mark before cutting it off. It started off pretty good but I don't like the chorus. An unlikable chorus will kill an otherwise good song for me. I do have a copy of Barbra's Guilty album which I do enjoy, although mostly for the production. I also have "No More Tears" with Donna Summer and while it took many years to grow on me (because of Barbra I wasn't fond of the song), I love it now and actually view Barbra's contribution as pivotal as Donna's. But all in all the lady does nothing for me.
    Oh well, I tried...

  49. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Oh well, I tried...
    Yes you did. Different strokes for different folks i guess. I love it, and that is all that matters to me.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.