[REMOVE ADS]

Hear the Diana Ross Central Park Concert, Press Conference & Interview

Thanks for this. They have an audio track for her performance of "Pieces of Ice". I don't remember seeing Pieces of Ice in the new DVD/doc release or on my bootleg recording from years ago?? Based on the audio, it was a lip-synced performance for this particular number, which is why it was probably excluded from the latest releases. Edit: I now see that this clip is on Youtube. I guess I forgot about it!! :O

Yes, a wonderful find and will be a nice follow-up to to my viewing of the concert in a movie theater back in March. Carlo, I don't recall if POI is or is not included on any reissues but I do remember it from my being at the concert[[s). As I recall POI was a totally 'mimed' performance, probably due to the various electronics used for the record. An interesting single that I still love hearing when it 'pops up' on the lp! Best to you and J-Rob.

There were a lot of songs cut from the Central Park concert after its initial showing. When it aired later in syndication, and even on Showtime, there were songs missing.

PIECES OF ICE was basically a dance number recreating the record's video, with dancers dressed in animal costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    There were a lot of songs cut from the Central Park concert after its initial showing. When it aired later in syndication, and even on Showtime, there were songs missing.

PIECES OF ICE was basically a dance number recreating the record's video, with dancers dressed in animal costumes.
    Yes, Pieces Of Ice, Lady Sings The Blues, T’Ain’t Nobody’s Business and I Cried For You, along with the final closing footage were all deleted after the first few airings in July of 1983. Future airings included highlights from Day 1 and news footage...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    Yes, Pieces Of Ice, Lady Sings The Blues, T’Ain’t Nobody’s Business and I Cried For You, along with the final closing footage were all deleted after the first few airings in July of 1983. Future airings included highlights from Day 1 and news footage...
    The "Prophet" [Kahlil Gibran] segment was excised as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    The "Prophet" [Kahlil Gibran] segment was excised as well.
    Yup - I recall, now that you have mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Yup - I recall, now that you have mentioned.
    I’d forgotten The Prophet as well...

Im sorry I missed Central Park in the theaters but Im real happy I have the DVD. She looked so gorgeous singing Endless Love and All for One at the end of the 2nd day in that silver gown with the fur sleeves. A real pretty and lovely lady and a heckova show woman.

It was fun seeing Diana back on the big screen after so many years. The cinema i attended was not incredibly full, but there was a lot of comradery and chatter amongst those who were there before the film began.
    In truth i have never been terribly fond of CP. A little to much posturing and with the exception of "GBTC" and "Family" not enough commitment to the songs she was performing. Having said that the big screen experience made it that much more and gave you a better understanding as to what the huge crowds who attended those two historic concerts might have experienced. The highlight for me is "God Bless The Child", being a special, beautiful moment that should never have been omitted from the dvd release.
    The entire "Prophet" segment of course was entirely and most gratefully dumped lol.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 08-05-2019 at 04:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    It was fun seeing Diana back on the big screen after so many years. The cinema i attended was not incredibly full, but there was a lot of comradery and chatter amongst those who were there before the film began.
    In truth i have never been terribly fond of CP. A little to much posturing and with the exception of "GBTC" and "Family" not enough commitment to the songs she was performing. Having said that the big screen experience made it that much more and gave you a better understanding as to what the huge crowds who attended those two historic concerts might have experienced. The highlight for me is "God Bless The Child", being a special, beautiful moment that should never have been omitted from the dvd release.
    The entire "Prophet" segment of course was entirely and most gratefully dumped lol.
    There were only five people at the showing I attended. But it was nice to see it on the big screen and afterwards, I ended up chatting with a fan who before then I only knew from Facebook.

Re the concert itself, when it first aired, one of my local radio stations did a FM simulcast. I taped it on 8-track and played that show every day. That's how much I loved it. Over time, I became less enamored with the show and parts of it certainly drag, but I still think it was a great event. It is obviously a special show to Diana as she refers to it often. I just wish some of that love could spread to her other tv specials so that they could be released on DVD as well.

Was a dynamite show! I remember watching it live on TV. What stood out was her "the show must go on" moment; singing in a torrential rainstorm! And the lighting flickering on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    There were only five people at the showing I attended. But it was nice to see it on the big screen and afterwards, I ended up chatting with a fan who before then I only knew from Facebook.

Re the concert itself, when it first aired, one of my local radio stations did a FM simulcast. I taped it on 8-track and played that show every day. That's how much I loved it. Over time, I became less enamored with the show and parts of it certainly drag, but I still think it was a great event. It is obviously a special show to Diana as she refers to it often. I just wish some of that love could spread to her other tv specials so that they could be released on DVD as well.
    There were seven at the screening i attended reese which was a huge shame. Overall i think C.P quite a weak concert. Forgetting the lyrics to songs she was singing, continually holding the mike out to the audience, preening and posing a plenty. Had this concert taken place in 80/81 or even the 90's i think it would have been a whole lot better.
    I sure wish that love would extend to the 81 Forum concert. For me it represents Diana at her best. It would be wonderful to have the entire concert on dvd.