[REMOVE ADS]

What do you know about James Crawford?

...who was part of the James Brown Review in the mid-60s.

Did he have any of his own fame away from James B?

I don’t know anything about him outside of his appearances on several of the James Brown compilations. But he had a great gravelly voice, kind of in the vein of maybe a rougher sounding Otis Redding? I like a lot of the things he did with James Brown especially “I’ll work it out”.

Thank you for pointing me in the direction of “I’ll work it out” Kenneth. Great bluesy song.

"I'll Work It Out" was also recorded twice by Vicki Anderson. "You Don't Work, You Can't Eat" was recorded in about '68'69 by James Brown & Marva Whitney as "If You Don't Work, You Can't Eat". I have a late 60's 45 by James Crawford on the Omega label "Honest I Do" Parts one & Two, a JB Production. James Crawford was one of the Famous Flames with Bobby Byrd & Bobby Bennett. Sometimes with Baby Lloyd too. I don't know what happened to him after the 60's.

Thank you for this information about J.C. motony. Much appreciated. I wonder what happened to him.

It seems there was a "funky" version of Work/Eat. I don't like it personally, at all.

- "You Don't Work, You Can't Eat" was recorded in about '68'69 by James Brown & Marva Whitney as "If You Don't Work, You Can't Eat".

Seems that was also done by them funky style. The difference between '69 and '65.

wow, I forgot about Byrd having a 45 on it, early 70's. My fave version is the LIVE one by Marva & James, where James keeps hollering for Marva to call Maceo. There will never be nothing like being at a LIVE James Brown Show esp in early 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    "I'll Work It Out" was also recorded twice by Vicki Anderson. "You Don't Work, You Can't Eat" was recorded in about '68'69 by James Brown & Marva Whitney as "If You Don't Work, You Can't Eat". I have a late 60's 45 by James Crawford on the Omega label "Honest I Do" Parts one & Two, a JB Production. James Crawford was one of the Famous Flames with Bobby Byrd & Bobby Bennett. Sometimes with Baby Lloyd too. I don't know what happened to him after the 60's.
    James Brown must have really liked the song "I'll Work it Out," because he recorded it on Marva Whitney as well. It is a great song, unusual structure, takes a really good singer to put it over I think because of the odd phrasing.

My fave recording of "I'll Work It Out" is the 1969 version by Vicki Anderson issued on the flip side of The Answer To Mother Popcorn[[I Got a Mother For You).on King. Then Vicki re did it with a spoken intro issued on Brownstone '71 or '72 [[I think). I love Marvas' version also. I think Bobby Byrd also did it, I'll have to look though my record boxes.