[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wells Sings My Guy

Supposedly this album was reissued in 1966 in stereo. Has anyone ever seen one? I’ve only ever seen this album in mono from 1964. Just wondering as a collector. Thanks

A stereo version is not listed in Discogs

https://www.discogs.com/Mary-Wells-M.../master/210720

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    A stereo version is not listed in Discogs

https://www.discogs.com/Mary-Wells-M.../master/210720
    I cannot see any mention anywhere so far of a stereo release BUT it was prepared and mixed for release in stereo so maybe it has appeared somewhere or maybe the powers that be decided against it after the mix was done.

According to DFTMC a stereo version of the album was released in Feb 66.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    According to DFTMC a stereo version of the album was released in Feb 66.
    Shouldave looked there first none of the discographies I looked at list it

The 2013 Japanese CD edition is stereo also.
    Name:  R-11026481-1508502449-4485.jpeg.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  44.4 KB

Thank you to everyone for responding. The closest I can get on vinyl is a Street Corner Records reissue in stereo which is fantastic by the way. However, I prefer the originals when I can get them.

Quote Originally Posted by justanothermotownfan View Post
    Supposedly this album was reissued in 1966 in stereo. Has anyone ever seen one? I’ve only ever seen this album in mono from 1964. Just wondering as a collector. Thanks
    I have the LP reissue of My Guy [[from the early '80s) and it's in stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by justanothermotownfan View Post
    It was released in stereo on MS617 but it's very hard to find. It doesn't have 'Stereo' emblazoned on the cover so it's easy to miss. The Motown reissue on M5-167V1 is in stereo.
    Last edited by shoo-be-doo; 07-31-2019 at 07:33 AM.

Are there notable differences between the stereo and the mono? I don't think the mono album is available on CD.

The main difference I detect from the stereo and mono mixes is on He's The One I Love where the violins are brought forward. Clearly this was being considered for single release.

In 1965 the album was re-issued in the UK on Tamla Motown re-titled as "My Baby Just Cares For Me". This was still in mono.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    The main difference I detect from the stereo and mono mixes is on He's The One I Love where the violins are brought forward. Clearly this was being considered for single release.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  21.1 KB
    I remember having seen that song being listed on a Motown in-house list of slated 45 releases with numbers assigned [[while flipping through some administrative papers at Motown during the mid 1970s). I can't remember it's projected catalogue number, but I guess it was slated to be the release after "Whisper You Love Me Boy, slated for Motown 1065, in September 1964. So, it would likely have been released in November or early December of that same year. So, it would have come out around the time of Tony Martin's Motown 1071 release, or Choker Campbell's 1072 [["Come See About Me" [[big band instrumental). Both of those were "throwaways), and so, one of them must have been tossed into that slot after Mary's projected releases were cancelled.