[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Maxine Brown's version of The Beatles song "We Can Work It Out" 1966

    As someone who is both a fan of The Beatles and '60s soul I think she really hits the mark with this one. Shame it wasn't a hit.

    What do YOU think?





  2. #2
    Thanks for posting this Shilpot. I’ve always loved Maxine’s version. Fabulous! Yes a shame it wasn’t a hit. It didn’t get into any of the US Top 100 charts or the Billboard soul chart. I think it was initially a B side, but it seems that We Can Work It Out got slightly more attention than the A. Despite it not being a ‘hit’ it did just ‘bubble under’ the Cash Box and Record World 100 charts.

    I remember hearing it on a show presented by DJ Gary Stevens on Swinging Radio England here in the UK and have loved it since. Gary worked for WMCA in New York and recorded daily shows for Swinging Radio England from the WMCA studios, so presumably WMCA played it for while, although I can’t see it on their weekly charts either.

    Anyhow, I love it. A sublime interpretation and version. Thanks again for reminding us (or introducing it to us).
    Last edited by alanh; 07-28-2019 at 07:12 PM.

  3. #3
    That's so interesting alan - re Gary Stevens. I'm actually a big fan of his SRE shows...some of which can be found on Mixcloud.
    https://www.mixcloud.com/peterfreema...-england-1966/

  4. #4
    I met Maxine Brown once. Great lady.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Shilpot View Post
    As someone who is both a fan of The Beatles and '60s soul I think she really hits the mark with this one. Shame it wasn't a hit.

    What do YOU think?




    I think it's FANTASTIC!!
    (If I were to find anything to critique it would be its seemingly unresolved fade out ending.... otherwise superb)

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I think it's FANTASTIC!!
    (If I were to find anything to critique it would be its seemingly unresolved fade out ending.... otherwise superb)
    Hey Boogie! When I first saw this, I wasn't expecting much. But then, I figured, our tastes are nearly identical. If Boogie likes it, I'd better listen. And, boy, am I glad I did! That is beautiful! Once the strings and the back-up singers come in, it hooked me and wouldn't let go. Only problem is, it's too short and fades out way too soon. But, other than that, it's a keeper! Thanks for sharing, Shilpot. That's really, really pretty!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Shilpot View Post
    That's so interesting alan - re Gary Stevens. I'm actually a big fan of his SRE shows...some of which can be found on Mixcloud.
    https://www.mixcloud.com/peterfreema...-england-1966/
    Yes, his show was a daily 'must listen' so that I could keep up with all the latest American releases, as was the Jack Spector Show on Radio Caroline. As you probably know Jack also worked at WMCA and produced a similar daily show (which ended before Gary started his on SRE.) Personally I far preferred Jack Spector, a far more entertaining and creative presenter; Gary was a bit harsh/brash for me - but it was the music that mattered of course and they both introduced me to loads of great new singles, including a lot of soul like the Maxine Brown track.

  8. #8
    I could sit and listen to you talk all day, alan and no, I have not even heard of Jack Spector on Radio Caroline. I must seek out his shows - see if anyone recorded them.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Hey Boogie! When I first saw this, I wasn't expecting much. But then, I figured, our tastes are nearly identical. If Boogie likes it, I'd better listen. And, boy, am I glad I did! That is beautiful! Once the strings and the back-up singers come in, it hooked me and wouldn't let go. Only problem is, it's too short and fades out way too soon. But, other than that, it's a keeper! Thanks for sharing, Shilpot. That's really, really pretty!
    listening to it again , good stuff ! Yes too short ! Song reaches a middle and then just stays there.
    Shall we listen to Maxine have a go at some Motown ?


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.