[REMOVE ADS]

Glamorous Mary Plugs New Book In UK Interview

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I read this in one of the Mail On Sunday supplement magazines this morning. There were some nice pics of the original line up, and a few of the subsequent line ups. It sounds like this book will be largely devoid of the trashy elements of her first book which can only be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I read this in one of the Mail On Sunday supplement magazines this morning. There were some nice pics of the original line up, and a few of the subsequent line ups. It sounds like this book will be largely devoid of the trashy elements of her first book which can only be a good thing.
    Haven't you noticed that the cover photo does not show Diana Ross' face? That can only be a good thing in my opinion.........hehehehehehehe!

I see we still can’t get barely into a thread without someone throwing shade. If you can’t say anything nice than leave it alone.

I wish it were totally devoid instead of largely as including inaccurate comments like “taking “People” away from Flo and giving it to Diana,” or “Flo died of cardiac arrest because she couldn’t take it anymore” are both simply not true and she knows this as she was singing Diana‘s portion of people for almost 2 years with Florence, and flow died of a blood clot which caused her heart attack…… Blood clots are not caused because people “can’t take it anymore.” Personally, I’m disappointed. I hope there’s no other bullshit in this book as there really didn’t need to be any at all.

Like I said it never stops

Mark Bego involved so it won’t be devoid of all sensationalism nor will it be totally accurate. It’s not like this will attract massive interest

Randy rewrote his book and took out most of the sensationalism and Gossip

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Haven't you noticed that the cover photo does not show Diana Ross' face? That can only be a good thing in my opinion.........hehehehehehehe!
    No i haven't noticed that. I hadn't really taken any notice of this impending book until i saw the article yesterday. I shall wait a few months until it is in the bargain bin before deciding if it is worth purchasing. The photos look nice, but as for the actual content we shall have to wait and see.
    And of course without Diana Ross to focus upon this book would never have got past the planning stages......hehehehehehehe!

I wish it were totally devoid instead of largely as including inaccurate comments like “taking “People” away from Flo and giving it to Diana,” or “Flo died of cardiac arrest because she couldn’t take it anymore” are both simply not true and she knows this as she was singing Diana‘s portion of people for almost 2 years with Florence, and flow died of a blood clot which caused her heart attack…… Blood clots are not caused because people “can’t take it anymore.” Personally, I’m disappointed. I hope there’s no other bullshit in this book as there really didn’t need to be any at all.
    Yes, i am not too optimistic myself, but i shall reserve judgement until someone i can trust has read the book. Here's hoping.......

No i haven't noticed that. I hadn't really taken any notice of this impending book until i saw the article yesterday. I shall wait a few months until it is in the bargain bin before deciding if it is worth purchasing. The photos look nice, but as for the actual content we shall have to wait and see.
    And of course without Diana Ross to focus upon this book would never have got past the planning stages......hehehehehehehe!
    "My life became consumed by trying to keep the peace and watching over Flo." Now THAT'S a HEHEHEHEHE! I'll certainly pass over this most recent grave-dig by Wilson after reading this excerpt. I had hoped it would be an elegant picture book about the Supremes' costumes; instead it's more of Wilson's 'it's all about me' usual thing. It's unfortunate that she can never seem to, as Michelle Obama says 'go high' and instead chooses to yet again get publicity by dragging up one member's rape, which that member wanted kept secret. And, sorry to say, girl looks one hot mess in the recent promo pic. The 'Roseann' reboot was cancelled; did she get that afghan from the set's sofa?
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 07-29-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    "And, sorry to say, girl looks one hot mess in the recent promo pic.
    I don't think I've seen this promo pic? Which one is it?

I'm kinda disappointed by these excerpts and that the Supremes' story is being laid out like this, once again. It's really just giving more ammunition to the media to focus on the controversy, which in my opinion detracts from what I think this book is supposed to be, which is a classy definitive book on The Supremes' glamorous and cultural influence. Daily Mail has always been skewed in their reporting, so I'm hoping the rest of the book will outweigh these negative bits that the Daily Mail has chosen to focus on. Hopefully the focus will be more on the gowns, achievements and photos, rather than the same old. Mark Bego's books have always sacrificed factual accuracy for tabloid appeal and controversy. Perhaps she should have taken on a different writer. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong...
    Last edited by carlo; 07-29-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Like I said it never stops
    what I posted was not shade. I was calling attention to inaccurate editorial concerning the subject of this forum. I said nothing insulting, opinionated or rude and was not stirring any pot. I’m the one who began this thread with every good intention. I admit I didn’t read the editorial closely as I know the story well enough. However, once my attention was called to it, I read it and really was surprised that in 2019 this type of whatever you want to call it is still being handed out to the masses by someone who knows better and chooses to engage this way.

Its not me who who needs a doctor, Blanche!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I don't think I've seen this promo pic? Which one is it?

I'm kinda disappointed by these excerpts and that the Supremes' story is being laid out like this, once again. It's really just giving more ammunition to the media to focus on the controversy, which in my opinion detracts from what I think this book is supposed to be, which is a classy definitive book on The Supremes' glamorous and cultural influence. Daily Mail has always been skewed in their reporting, so I'm hoping the rest of the book will outweigh these negative bits that the Daily Mail has chosen to focus on. Hopefully the focus will be more on the gowns, achievements and photos, rather than the same old. Mark Bego's books have always sacrificed factual accuracy for tabloid appeal and controversy. Perhaps she should have taken on a different writer. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong...
    Hi Carlo - I'll capture the pic later and post it. It really is a shame because a real art book of the Supremes costumes, with pictures, names of and 'reflections' by the designers, specifics about the fabrics, dates/places where worn, etc would be a wonderful addition to Supremes lore and Wilson is well within her rights to produce such a book. For her to bring up the exhausted [[and contested ...) same-ole same-ole is a tremendous disappointment. It COULD be that the published excerpt is the entirety of that sort of retread and the Mail just chose that part for its sensationalism. We'll see! I, too, hope to be proven wrong.

It really is a shame because a real art book of the Supremes costumes, with pictures, names of and 'reflections' by the designers, specifics about the fabrics, dates/places where worn, etc would be a wonderful addition to Supremes lore and Wilson is well within her rights to produce such a book.
    That was what I envisioned and hoped for the book. Some of it is in the gown section and the photographs of the detailed beading/sequins is stunning. It's beautiful to see them in stage lights, but I will add this book is not solely about the gowns. I wish it was. There is a lot of great stuff that didn't make the cut and it's a shame because the fans would have ate it up.

I skimmed through this article. It seems like some of these quotes are from her Dreamgirl book.

Actually I was referring to Bluerock and Marv.
    what I posted was not shade. I was calling attention to inaccurate editorial concerning the subject of this forum. I said nothing insulting, opinionated or rude and was not stirring any pot. I’m the one who began this thread with every good intention. I admit I didn’t read the editorial closely as I know the story well enough. However, once my attention was called to it, I read it and really was surprised that in 2019 this type of whatever you want to call it is still being handed out to the masses by someone who knows better and chooses to engage this way.

Its not me who who needs a doctor, Blanche!

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    I skimmed through this article. It seems like some of these quotes are from her Dreamgirl book.
    I'm hoping that the quotes posted in the article are from the writer taking liberties by putting his own twist to what's printed

More than likely I think that’s what happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    I'm hoping that the quotes posted in the article are from the writer taking liberties by putting his own twist to what's printed

On the old live albums, I never heard Diane introduce herself as "the intelligent one" as it says in the article. I thought it was always as "the skinny one." Claiming the "intelligent" moniker takes the humor out of the intros. Does anyone know if she actually ever introduced herself that way?

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    On the old live albums, I never heard Diane introduce herself as "the intelligent one" as it says in the article. I thought it was always as "the skinny one." Claiming the "intelligent" moniker takes the humor out of the intros. Does anyone know if she actually ever introduced herself that way?
    She introduces herself that way on the 1965 Copa album.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    She introduces herself that way on the 1965 Copa album.
    Oh, okay thanks Reese!

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    That was what I envisioned and hoped for the book. Some of it is in the gown section and the photographs of the detailed beading/sequins is stunning. It's beautiful to see them in stage lights, but I will add this book is not solely about the gowns. I wish it was. There is a lot of great stuff that didn't make the cut and it's a shame because the fans would have ate it up.
    Absolutely, and could / could have introduced young fashionistas to our girls. I worked in NYC's garment center for decades and developed a keen interest in 'historic' clothing. Types of beading & sequins, choice in fabrics, inspiration of design, etc. Let's hope that this book has at least a bit of that!

Based on the fact that Begos involve and this newspaper article im not going to spend money on this book. Sounds like a real rehash of Marys other books which Ive already gotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Based on the fact that Begos involve and this newspaper article im not going to spend money on this book. Sounds like a real rehash of Marys other books which Ive already gotten.
    I agree Roberta. I would not support anything that has Bego involved.

[QUOTE=blackguy69;529049]Actually I was referring to Bluerock and Marv.[/QUOTATION
    Actually i go by the name of Bluebrock, and all i said was that it looked liked this book was going to avoid the trashier elements of Mary Wilson's first book. I still hope that is true because the last thing we need is another cheap and taudry Tabloid rehash of an old story. Having read it more closely it looks like my hopes have already been dashed.
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 07-30-2019 at 02:23 AM.

Just a funny side story. I guess it could’ve been almost 20 years ago now when I first learned there was a live Supremes LP with the Jean Terrell group. I think I may have learned of it when reading "Supreme Faith" by Mary Wilson which included a reference to it. I searched for it on eBay and found a copy to buy. Anyway it turned out the seller was Mark Begos. When we were exchanging payment, I recognized his name and told him that I had seen him mentioned in one of the Mary Wilson books. I think he said at the time he was working with Mary, doing some of her merchandising or things like that through her website I guess. So just an odd coincidence.
    Last edited by kenneth; 07-30-2019 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Actually I was referring to Bluerock and Marv.
    im sorry, Blackguy - I guess my ex was right: everything ISN'T about me!��
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 07-30-2019 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    she did refer to herself as the intelligent one. I think it is on the Cpoa album.

Not sure why the 'intelligent-one' would have left Motown in1980/81 for an amateurish production such as 'Why Do Fools Fall in Love' and the next few albums. Hindsight is a wonderful thing I guess, but - even back then - these were pretty dumb moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    Not sure why the 'intelligent-one' would have left Motown in1980/81 for an amateurish production such as 'Why Do Fools Fall in Love' and the next few albums. Hindsight is a wonderful thing I guess, but - even back then - these were pretty dumb moves.
    Well, I can't get into her head, but by then, it was common knowledge that Motown was not paying their artists what they were worth.

Perhaps the twenty million that RCA gave her had something to do with it.

In any case, she is still here, still selling out large venues, still getting some great awards and is an icon.

As for the "intelligent" vs "thin" statement, I like the thin statement better, especially with the reply "thin may be in, but fat is where it's at".

Just guessing but perhaps the "intelligent" line was later replaced with the more humorous "thin-fat" lines. It works much better than the "intelligent " line

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Just guessing but perhaps the "intelligent" line was later replaced with the more humorous "thin-fat" lines. It works much better than the "intelligent " line
    I suspect, perhaps, that the other gals might have taken exception to it as well. "Skinny" does work better, and allowed Flo to add her sassy little quips.

I agree that the first couple of rca albums were mediocre with the odd notable exception. It comes across as a dumb move from a creative point of view, but a very smart and astute move from a financial point of view. It really does depend upon which angle you approach it from. If making a shed load of money is regarded as a dumb move then so be it. On the other hand you could argue she could have had it both ways had she been more selective of the material recorded for those projects.

When you get offered $20 million and only get $200000 from all the number one’s at your old job, you’d like find the $20 million appealing. Probably $50 million in today’s money

Yeah, only a dunb person takes a$20 million dollar contract invest that money into real estate and has now a fortune worth $250 million dollars. Yeah only dumb people making dumb moves bring that amount of wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    When you get offered $20 million and only get $200000 from all the number one’s at your old job, you’d like find the $20 million appealing. Probably $50 million in today’s money
    You can't really blame Ross. Who could turn away that kind of money?

It's happened so many times, that a singer leaves a small, independent record company to finally be able to cash in on their fame and then something gets lost in the transition - their music somehow seems more pedestrian, less inspired.

The classic example from Motown is of course Mary Wells. But the same thing happened to James Brown. He left King [[which more or less folded up without him) to sign with Polydor. At first, it seemed he couldn't lose; he had just come off with "Hot Pants" which was his last King single, so he had some momentum going for him. But even though he continued to be prolific, his songs and albums seemed less and less inspired after the move.

Rick Nelson left Imperial where he cut all of his well known singles except for possibly "Garden Party," to join Decca in what was at the time the largest contract yet awarded to a rock and roll singer. He may have had a few Top 10 hits at Decca, but nothing like he'd done at Imperial.

Are there others? I'm sure there are, though none come immediately to mind. But something about the singer's original label seems to have been key to their success.
    Last edited by kenneth; 08-01-2019 at 06:08 PM.

Simply because she was being robbed blind by her record company and, after working nearly nonstop for two decades, had relatively nothing to show for it. When Gene Simmons showed her how much she should be making on records and concerts, it cut her deeply. In a business where quick, permanent fades are commonplace, being handed 20-24 million dollars to sign a piece of paper meant a lifetime if security for her and her family. It would have been idiotic NOT to sign regardless if she never sold another record or ticket again. True, most fans consider hervRCA work not her best, but she still sold millions of records and filled stadiums worldwide for years.

‘’No one has a crystal ball that would predict the decline in quality of her RCA work, so it would be foolhardy to suggest she signed knowing she would slip. After leaving Motown, she had Endless Love #1 for nine weeks, three more top ten singles in a year [[fools, mirror, muscles) and 2 gold and one platinum album in the next 4 years. Clearly a step down in many ways, But 99% of the singers and groups in the industry would’ve killed to have that RCA track record…… It’s all relative.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Yeah, only a dunb person takes a$20 million dollar contract invest that money into real estate and has now a fortune worth $250 million dollars. Yeah only dumb people making dumb moves bring that amount of wealth.
    RIGHT?? Not to mention maintaining a headlining career for nearly 40 years afterwards as well as raising 5 children. I planned on ignoring this petty post but am glad to join in with those who are taking it to task. Levi Stubbs' tears, indeed. Mr. Stubbs would indeed shed a tear to see his name attached to this sort of ignoble palaver.

RIGHT?? Not to mention maintaining a headlining career for nearly 40 years afterwards as well as raising 5 children. I planned on ignoring this petty post but am glad to join in with those who are taking it to task. Levi Stubbs' tears, indeed. Mr. Stubbs would indeed shed a tear to see his name attached to this sort of ignoble palaver.
    And not to mention it was the biggest recording contract up to that point. She made history with that contract. She would have been a fool not too!

Well she did try to come back to Motown because no one else would have her. She lost at ton of money for RCA.

Yes Marv, you pointed it out in a few other posts. Bless you.

Well she did try to come back to Motown because no one else would have her. She lost at ton of money for RCA.
    And made a ton for herself. Isn't she special?

She didn't try to come back. She did come back. She became a part-owner of Motown Records and agreed to resume recording for the label she helped propel to popularity in the 1960's. Isn't she special? Thanks for pointing it out.

Nice of you to point out all these nice accomplishments of Diane. Are you finally becoming a Diane fan?. Bless you
    Last edited by milven; 08-06-2019 at 08:03 PM.

Do you have proof she lost a ton of money for RCA? Or are you just speculating? I don’t know if they lost a ton of money or not but what I do know. She had a platinum album and 2 gold albums. As well as 4 big top ten records. She also had a gold certified video release. This was done within 7 year period. I know there would be some other singers who would die to have this kind success. Lol
    Last edited by vgalindo; 08-06-2019 at 08:11 PM.