[REMOVE ADS]

Pride & Joy - The Marvin Gaye Musical

Ok, now this looks good!

What kind of musical has the actors lip syncing??

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    What kind of musical has the actors lip syncing??
    I am not sure if they will be lip syncing in the live performances.

Would be interesting if this actually heads to Broadway. I'm sure MGIII is working on it!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Would be interesting if this actually heads to Broadway. I'm sure MGIII is working on it!
    He is totally involved in this.

He certainly favors Marvin !

I'm a little suspicious because in the trailer it says something like "Original Motown Music". I hope that doesn't mean the performers are lip-syncing to the original recordings. As much as I may be the first to point out that the interpreters can never match the original vocalist(s), I always enjoy more, on film or on stage, if I know the performers are actually doing the singing.

Compare Sissy Spacek's interpretation of Loretta Lynn in "Coal Miner's Daughter" to Jessica Lange's lip-syncing of Patsy Cline in "Sweet Dreams." When Jessica starts to "sing," the whole movie stops while you imagine someone cuing up the tape of Patsy. I always picture something out of "Singin' in the Rain" when Debbie Reynolds had to dub for Jean Hagen!

That being said, when I saw "Motown the Musical," the young fellow who played the 9 year old Michael Jackson was an absolute phenomenon, and when I looked up the review in the Los Angeles Times they said the same thing, except they were talking about the other youngster who played MJ, not the one I saw! So it seems they had two amazing performers in that role, as one child probably isn't legally allowed to handle a role like that on a nightly basis.

It's a great trailer though, creates the right amount of buzz. Gaye certainly deserves a tribute musical.
    Last edited by kenneth; 07-28-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Okay, not to worry...they do their own singing. Found this interview online:

https://www.fox2detroit.com/good-day/397651784-video