[REMOVE ADS]

What do you think of The Beach Boys 1967 cover of Stevie's "I Was Made To Love Her"?

Last edited by Shilpot; 07-26-2019 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shilpot View Post
    I am triple digging this !!! Beach Boys were extraordinaryly talented. About 10 years ago Brian Wilson said he was now listening to many Diana Ross album cuts.

I think that's Carl on vocals. Love the Beach Boys. Their talent and artistry is really underrated, I think because they're just thought of as the guys who sang "Surfer Girl" and "Fun, Fun, Fun." But some of their later albums are masterpieces and I still think "Pet Sounds" one of the great albums of all time.

I don't care for that version at all. If we're talking remakes of the song, this one by Chaka Khan is pleasing to me. No remake of "I Was Made to Love Her" will ever sound as good as what Stevie did in my opinion. It's just one of those songs that was so perfect at first,that it should be left alone:

Last edited by marv2; 07-25-2019 at 08:20 PM.

The incomparable.................!

I would love to hear Diana cover one of the Beach Boy gems ... Wouldn’t it be nice !!!!

I like this cover by the Beach Boys. It's different and at the same time does not stray far from Stevie's rendition.

Stevie's version was perfection, but this version is pretty darned good too. I love the Beach Boys. One of the greatest groups of all time.I had totally forgotten about this. Chaka did a decent version as did Michael Mcdonald, but i wasn't too fussed with Whitney's version. Seem to recall versions by the Jackson 5 and Boyz ii men so it has been covered many times. Great tune but Stevie owns this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Stevie's version was perfection, but this version is pretty darned good too. I love the Beach Boys. One of the greatest groups of all time.I had totally forgotten about this. Chaka did a decent version as did Michael Mcdonald, but i wasn't too fussed with Whitney's version. Seem to recall versions by the Jackson 5 and Boyz ii men so it has been covered many times. Great tune but Stevie owns this one.
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience also did a very bare-bones version on Radio One which appears on their BBC Sessions set. Jamming with them on it is none other than Stevie Wonder himself. I don't care for it; they miss a lot of chord changes, making it a throwaway exercise. It hasn't appeared on YouTube as of yet.

I like everything about the Beach Boys' version except for the lead vocal, which is extremely poor. Chaka Khan's version is quite nice.

It appears on The Beach Boys "Wild Honey" album. A lot of the songs have a sort of late '60s "soul sound"

Beach Boys one of my all time favorites...especially ALL of Brian Wilsons brilliant compositions and productions and was thrilled to see Brian a couple of years back at the Hollywood Bowl for his Pet Sounds Tour... Their harmonies are superb, some of the best in pop music. That said...the Beach Boys biggest shortcoming throughout the years has been their lead vocals. Mike Love was no more than adequate, just NOT what I'd consider a top notch vocalist, but their material was strong enough to cover him instead of the other way around, and I always wondered just how great the Brian Wilson material would have been if he'd had a great vocalist fronting the group. Carl and Al were able to lead certain niche songs, although Carl did do a very commendable job on God Only Knows [[it would have been really difficult to screw THAT masterpiece up)… As for this I Was Made To Love Her cover...once again...their usual very credible background harmony accompanying a weak lead with a straining voice. Not too impressed...

I liked Whitney's cover.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I liked Whitney's cover.

Uh, uh, now come now. Whitney knew she could have laid it down with this song! They changed the words too much, ad-libbed too much and Lauryn Hill was severely under used. I'm guessing they were trying to "update" to give it a 90s sound or whatever, but in the process they killed the entire soulful groove of the original!

This record [[by Stevie) proves that the Funk Brothers really were the key to "The Motown Sound". Their rhythm track just could not be duplicated by other musicians.

This is fantastic ! A sincere homage. Chaka's is alright too.

Whitney's : flailing and uninspired . Lazy. I would not like Stevie's classic based solely from hearing her interpretation .

Carol Kaye claimed she played bass on Stevie's version of "I Was Made To Love Her," but it was this version by the Beach Boys that she played on.

I do like their version a lot, but I wish it had a better lead vocal. A vocal by Brian would have been better. There's no way Motown would have ever released a lead vocal like Carl's.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Carol Kaye claimed she played bass on Stevie's version of "I Was Made To Love Her," but it was this version by the Beach Boys that she played on.

I do like their version a lot, but I wish it had a better lead vocal. A vocal by Brian would have been better. There's no way Motown would have ever released a lead vocal like Carl's.
    Agree as I previously stated regarding Beach Boys lead singers, although Brian sang falsetto, and hated his own voice, so that probably wouldn't have worked either. As for CK... She claimed she played on the Stevie version and she DID play many sessions for Motown [[even on tracks cut in L.A. and sent back to Detroit to add vocals but IWMTLH was not one of them), particularly Motown work in the 70's... but her account on that [[and Bernadette as well) has been disputed by the producers of those tracks and is a settled matter that it was Jamerson on those tracks. A keen ear can decipher certain elements, such as hearing the difference between plectrum [[Kaye) and fingerstyle [[Jamerson). Those tracks were clearly played with the fingers...Other stylistic elements such as syncopation [[especially on Bernadette), while somewhat similar in nature in some cases, were clearly Jamersons patented style...

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Agree as I previously stated regarding Beach Boys lead singers, although Brian sang falsetto, and hated his own voice, so that probably wouldn't have worked either. As for CK... She claimed she played on the Stevie version and she DID play many sessions for Motown [[even on tracks cut in L.A. and sent back to Detroit to add vocals but IWMTLH was not one of them), particularly Motown work in the 70's... but her account on that [[and Bernadette as well) has been disputed by the producers of those tracks and is a settled matter that it was Jamerson on those tracks. A keen ear can decipher certain elements, such as hearing the difference between plectrum [[Kaye) and fingerstyle [[Jamerson). Those tracks were clearly played with the fingers...Other stylistic elements such as syncopation [[especially on Bernadette), while somewhat similar in nature in some cases, were clearly Jamersons patented style...
    That's too bad that someone with Kaye's background and reputation would claim credit on backgrounds she never recorded. Perhaps she's just mis-remembering [[?)...I mean she did play on countless tracks. I imagine a lot of these players, and especially if you think of some of the background singers like the Andantes, heard things on the radio and then suddenly realized, "Hey, that's me!"

Regarding the vocal, you know I think actually Brian might have been the best choice so long as he didn't overuse the falsetto so as to avoid it sounding too "mimic-y" like when the Righteous Brothers overdid it sometimes. But Brian's voice could be used to great effect, such as on "Wouldn't it Be Nice," and actually I could hear him singing this one.

Fun thread, guys!

I like it. A brave attempt that's better than I expected. Brian Wilson has respect for Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Uh, uh, now come now. Whitney knew she could have laid it down with this song! They changed the words too much, ad-libbed too much and Lauryn Hill was severely under used. I'm guessing they were trying to "update" to give it a 90s sound or whatever, but in the process they killed the entire soulful groove of the original!
    One man's trash is another's treasure, bruh lol

Not bad.

I really like "Darlin" from the same album, however!!

I have always liked their version but of course Stevie's reigns supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I really like "Darlin" from the same album, however!!
    Me too and the title track, which is very mid-'60s soul in style.