[REMOVE ADS]

Do you have a favorite '60s Stevie Wonder album?

For me it's "I Was Made To Love Her", by far.

[[Though I'm not crazy about the title song)

It's a toss up for me between "Uptight" and "Down To Earth". BUT "I Was Made To Love Her" would be pretty darn close to my top pick. That album is packed with everything having that great '67 Motown Sound.

By the way, do you have both versions of the "Made To Love Her" album cover?

My favorite Stevie Wonder LP from the '60s is For Once In My Life. It was the first album by him that I picked up and in addition to the three hit singles on it, the LP has some great cuts like "I Wanna Make Her Love Me", "I'd Be A Fool Right Now", "Ain't No Lovin" & "I Don't Know Why".
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 07-24-2019 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    It's a toss up for me between "Uptight" and "Down To Earth". BUT "I Was Made To Love Her" would be pretty darn close to my top pick. That album is packed with everything having that great '67 Motown Sound. By the way, do you have both versions of the "Made To Love Her" album cover?
    No, I don't. I especially love the original songs - not so much the covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    My favorite Stevie Wonder LP from the '60s is For Once In My Life. It was the first album by him that I picked up and in addition to the three hit singles on it, it was some great cuts like "I Wanna Make Her Love Me", "I'd Be A Fool Right Now", "Ain't No Lovin" & "I Don't Know Why".
    Those are my faves - along with "Do I Love Her".

"Uptight" because thats my all time fave Stevie record, but I also love the "12 yr old Genius LIVE" from 1963.

For Once In My Life hands down...apart from the obvious singles...standout tracks include "I'd be a fool right now" "ain't no lovin" and "do I love her"

However, if this thread had stated favourite Stevie album released under his first contract at Motown.. pre -music of my mind ... I would have said signed sealed delivered.

Loved it from the moment it bought it and have it in both album covers - "I Was Made To Love Her".A very famous bass performance too!

My favorite '60s Stevie album is a toss-up between "Uptight" and "I Was Made To Love Her".

WaitingWatching, you mentioned something about an alternate cover for the "I Was Made To Love Her" album. Are you referring to an alternate cover in the U.K.? The only cover I've ever seen herein the U.S. is the black cover.... this one:
    https://www.ebay.com/i/302738989250?...BoCxmcQAvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    My favorite '60s Stevie album is a toss-up between "Uptight" and "I Was Made To Love Her".

WaitingWatching, you mentioned something about an alternate cover for the "I Was Made To Love Her" album. Are you referring to an alternate cover in the U.K.? The only cover I've ever seen herein the U.S. is the black cover.... this one:
    https://www.ebay.com/i/302738989250?...BoCxmcQAvD_BwE
    The album was released in the U.S. with two covers. From what I had read in a book, the art department re-did the cover to make they type more readable. For years I had never known there was a 2nd version but here they are:
    Name:  279.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  45.3 KBName:  b5ec7c306a89ab289a768bced666f267.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  65.7 KB
    I was so happy to stumble across the second version [[with the type aligned to the left)in a second hand record shop a few years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 07-25-2019 at 03:16 AM.

Good question,umm ok-for once in my life.

Great name, arr&bee!

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    The album was released in the U.S. with two covers. From what I had read in a book, the art department re-did the cover to make they type more readable. For years I had never known there was a 2nd version but here they are:
    Name:  279.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  45.3 KBName:  b5ec7c306a89ab289a768bced666f267.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  65.7 KB
    I was so happy to stumble across the second version [[with the type aligned to the left)in a second hand record shop a few years ago.
    Thanks, Waiting. I bought Stevie's "I Was Made To Love Her" album back in '67 when it first hit the streets, but I honestly don't remember which cover it had. As I said before, I never even realized there were two.

I'd go for "I Was Made to Love Her". A special mention for his reworking of "Baby Don't You Do It".

And again, another vote for "I Was Made to Love Her". It's the album I go to for the classic Motown sound. And for me, the cover tracks are it's strength. Comparable to the Four Tops Reach Out album for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I'd go for "I Was Made to Love Her". A special mention for his reworking of "Baby Don't You Do It".
    I agree. Love that.

I'd like to special mention "Everybody Needs Somebody".

JJ Barnes did a very good version - sadly, never released.

"For Once in My Life" would be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by shilpot View Post
    great name, arr&bee!
    thanks,and welcome to the best music site on the internet.