[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I suppose you're entitled to your view that Marv and Luke are the same person. However any evidence is purely circumstantial, so it's time you dropped it. It's getting very wearing and is also against SDF rules to respond to postings using anything other than the user name given in that posting.
    I had no idea about that rule and didnt know that you were a co-moderator so I thank you for pointing that out and will follow your direction and rules.

Fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I had no idea about that rule and didnt know that you were a co-moderator so I thank you for pointing that out and will follow your direction and rules.

Fondly,

Roberta
    I thought the DRATS ghetto was unmoderated?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I think the same as far as their talent goes but the fact remains that Flowers tithes at least 20% of his millions to a homophobic cult that actively enforces the disproved gay conversion therapy. I'm a New Yorker and I know people who think djt is the nicest guy ever; doesn't fool me. I sincerely doubt Flowers will say 'Yes, I'm a homophobe' - he has been asked nearly as much for the past 10 years and always come up with some clever demurral. Fact is he funnels $ to a cult which actively discriminates against myself and my people and for me no entertainment is worth that.
    There are also Christian cults that espouse gay conversion therapy. No doubt part of the tithes and collections go to charitable causes such as the alleviation of poverty. It would be sad if a reduction in funds received were to result in innocent people suffering additional hardship.

As I have said, I have stopped buying Orson Scott books as my personal protest against Mormon homophobia, but he is just one person. A boycott of the Killers would be tarring the whole group with the same brush, possibly unfairly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Jean is perfectly entitled to her views on same sex relationships. The ironic thing is, or perhaps i should say the sad thing is The Supremes always had a very large gay following, and there you have another less discussed reason why Jean wanted out.
    I think we perhaps need to get back on topic before this discussion turns toxic.
    If we concentrate on the points being made rather than the people making the points, there is no need for the discussion to turn toxic.

Lovely album. It never gained an official UK release so i had to buy it on import which was not the easiest thing to do. I was delighted when Soulbrother records reissued it on cd several years ago.
    I bought a second-hand copy of the Jean Terrell album in one of the London branches of Record & Tape Exchange, so I was surprised to see here that it never gained UK release. I've just checked my copy and found out that it is indeed an import from the USA.

I have met Brandon Flowers on more than one occasion to discuss the impact of the music of the Killers especially here in the UK. He came across as a reasonably nice guy for the most part. I mentioned the fact that he is deemed as a sex symbol to both straight and gay fans, but he seemed uncomfortable discussing this. I am honestly not sure if he is homophobic and i did not ask him. If i get the chance to meet him again i shall make a point of asking him. I think the Killers are an excellent band and fully deserve their success.
    The Killers' "Mr Brightside" is one of the finest records of this century.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post

Fondly,

Roberta
    I thank you most humbly for your acceptance of my direction, but can take no credit for formulating the rules which are there for all to see.

I look forward to the peace and harmony which will now undoubtedly break out over the forum.

I thank you most humbly for your acceptance of my direction, but can take no credit for formulating the rules which are there for all to see.

I look forward to the peace and harmony which will now undoubtedly break out over the forum.

I bought a second-hand copy of the Jean Terrell album in one of the London branches of Record & Tape Exchange, so I was surprised to see here that it never gained UK release. I've just checked my copy and found out that it is indeed an import from the USA.
    It was initially scheduled to be released in the UK and Jean had agreed to fly over and promote it, but once she locked horns with Herb Alpert he pulled the plug on all the promotion for the album both domestically and internationally thus rendering a UK release not cost effective. Such a pity. It was a very good album. Not quite a classic, but very good nonetheless.

The Killers' "Mr Brightside" is one of the finest records of this century.
    Isn't it just? I pretty much love all their music. Such talented musicians and songwriters. I am trying not to read too much into their personal feelings on gay people. Mr Flowers is the only member i have met [[on 3 occasions). Two of those occasions was when he was promoting his solo albums. I am a big fan and i will continue to enjoy his/their music. I think a 3rd solo offering is next on the agenda.

There are also Christian cults that espouse gay conversion therapy. No doubt part of the tithes and collections go to charitable causes such as the alleviation of poverty. It would be sad if a reduction in funds received were to result in innocent people suffering additional hardship.

As I have said, I have stopped buying Orson Scott books as my personal protest against Mormon homophobia, but he is just one person. A boycott of the Killers would be tarring the whole group with the same brush, possibly unfairly.
    This is true. As far as i know there is nothing concrete to suggest the other members are in any way homophobic.

Anything to helkp out the co-moderators and keep the peace.

Isn't it just? I pretty much love all their music. Such talented musicians and songwriters. I am trying not to read too much into their personal feelings on gay people. Mr Flowers is the only member i have met [[on 3 occasions). Two of those occasions was when he was promoting his solo albums. I am a big fan and i will continue to enjoy his/their music. I think a 3rd solo offering is next on the agenda.
    I could never get into his solo career nor their last two albums. The first three Killers albums I absolutely loved, especially Sam's Town. I always say "All These Things I've Done" feels like it was written for me. I call it my life theme song.

As a gay man, I will say my gaydar always spiked up as far as Brandon Flowers goes.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I could never get into his solo career nor their last two albums. The first three Killers albums I absolutely loved, especially Sam's Town. I always say "All These Things I've Done" feels like it was written for me. I call it my life theme song.

As a gay man, I will say my gaydar always spiked up as far as Brandon Flowers goes.
    I thought their album from last year was a real return to form. It got some great reviews here in the UK and of course topped the charts just like all their previous albums.
    I loved his pair of solo albums. I thought they were a fine showcase for his considerable talents.
    I am glad you can appreciate his talent despite his apparant homophobic stance which i have to say totally eluded me until a couple of days ago. Even now i have yet to read anything that convinces me of his guilt in this respect.

It was initially scheduled to be released in the UK and Jean had agreed to fly over and promote it, but once she locked horns with Herb Alpert he pulled the plug on all the promotion for the album both domestically and internationally thus rendering a UK release not cost effective. Such a pity. It was a very good album. Not quite a classic, but very good nonetheless.
    Jean Terrell signed my copy of the album while in the UK on an Ian Levine tour. I had diplomatically previously pulled off the "Record & Tape Exchange" sticker.

Jean Terrell signed my copy of the album while in the UK on an Ian Levine tour. I had diplomatically previously pulled off the "Record & Tape Exchange" sticker.
    Ha ha. Smart move! I wish i had had my copy to hand when i met her.

Promoting the LP in the UK would have been a smart move for Jean. The 70's Supremes charted in the top ten more frequently there....her voice would have most likely been familiar to many from the higher chart placing / more frequent airplay time Nathan Jones, Floy Joy & Automatically Sunshine received in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Promoting the LP in the UK would have been a smart move for Jean. The 70's Supremes charted in the top ten more frequently there....her voice would have most likely been familiar to many from the higher chart placing / more frequent airplay time Nathan Jones, Floy Joy & Automatically Sunshine received in the UK.
    Very possibly but sadly it never happened.

It appears from Jeans entry and departures from the business....as a Supreme, as a solo, and later as a FLO perhaps she doesn't deal with the HALT' s well.[[Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired)....some people are not cut out for extended touring. They miss the family/private life too much. I love Jeans contributions to the group...Touch [[my pers.#1) and Floy Joy are both in my top 10 Sup's LPs....but I have not yet heard an interview where she gives very clear answers on many things musically related, or lets loose with her feelings....the interviewer often seems like they have to pry the answers out of her.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    jean is a gifted singer but she's not a dedicated recording artist or performer. stunning vocals and singer but that's not enough. she was not happy with the politics and issues within the recording industry and was bitter from her motown experience. She also is known to be difficult to work with.

there are lots of great singers out there. so why would a producer or label bother with a great singer that's a pain in the butt? toss her aside and find another great singer that wants it more
    There are tons of difficult artists out there. IMO it comes with the territory [[temperamental artists). Sometimes it takes pairing the right artist with the right people. Maybe Jean never found that.

In any case, I don't care about any of that. As a Jean Terrell fan all I care about is the music and the fact that there just isn't enough post Supremes Jean in existence. Whether that's because she was difficult, not cut out for the music biz, or whatever, the bottom line is still the same: we Jean fans have to make do with what is and only dream about what could've been.

Jean is close in style and capability to Dionne and Roberta. Jean can handle many tempos and styles... she excels at subtle. Up The Ladder, Stoned Love and River Deep are prime examples her handling "bite" material....I Had to Fall, Smokey's LP, I Guess Ill Miss The Man and IF show her magical subtle style. ...5.30 Plane is one of my fav. JT cuts.
    I agree with all of this.

It appears from Jeans entry and departures from the business....as a Supreme, as a solo, and later as a FLO perhaps she doesn't deal with the HALT' s well.[[Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired)....some people are not cut out for extended touring. They miss the family/private life too much. I love Jeans contributions to the group...Touch [[my pers.#1) and Floy Joy are both in my top 10 Sup's LPs....but I have not yet heard an interview where she gives very clear answers on many things musically related, or lets loose with her feelings....the interviewer often seems like they have to pry the answers out of her.
    The closest you'll get is "Through the Eyes of A Supreme" Jean's video biography [[DVD) she produced back in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    There are tons of difficult artists out there. IMO it comes with the territory [[temperamental artists). Sometimes it takes pairing the right artist with the right people. Maybe Jean never found that.

In any case, I don't care about any of that. As a Jean Terrell fan all I care about is the music and the fact that there just isn't enough post Supremes Jean in existence. Whether that's because she was difficult, not cut out for the music biz, or whatever, the bottom line is still the same: we Jean fans have to make do with what is and only dream about what could've been.
    I still say Jean Terrell should have an Unsung episode.