[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I Had to Fall In Love

Fans of this one? I first heard it on the 70s Supremes GHARC and loved it from the opening to the closing. A gorgeous vocal by one of my favorite voices of all time. Not a good choice for a single IMO. There were a few more radio friendly cuts on the album that I think had a chance of catching on. But "I Had to Fall In Love" is my favorite song from Jean's album. I almost want to scream at the fact that we were cheated out of a hefty post Supremes Jean Terrell catalog of music. Consistent hit maker or not, she surely would've been a consistently signed artist, at least from the time she left the group to probably the mid to late 80s. Anyway, enjoy!

I agree. It was a wonderful album and I loved I had to fall in love. Sweet and unassuming. I knew of the album, long before I got it....it was hard to come by. I finally got it when I was on vacation in Hawaii. The album has very nice memories that go along with the wonderful music.

Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    I agree. It was a wonderful album and I loved I had to fall in love. Sweet and unassuming. I knew of the album, long before I got it....it was hard to come by. I finally got it when I was on vacation in Hawaii. The album has very nice memories that go along with the wonderful music.
    Sweet and unassuming. A perfect description of this song. The album is very good also. I think most of the songs are definitely the direction Jean should've been going in at the time.

Lovely album. It never gained an official UK release so i had to buy it on import which was not the easiest thing to do. I was delighted when Soulbrother records reissued it on cd several years ago.

I bought this album and "The Supremes at Their Best" at the same time in August 1978. It was strange because I heard a radio station playing "Up the Ladder to the Roof" from the "At Their Best" album, but nothing from Jean's album.

I really liked her album, but I thought it was pure insanity to release a country flavored single right in the midst of the height of Disco.

Thought this was good.bit country but I like it

I saw her perform "I Had to Fall in Love" twice on television. Once on the "Dinah" show and think the "Mike Douglas Show" was the other appearance.

Nice song. 'The Rising Cost of Love' is my favorite off the LP. I'm sad that Jean did
    not have the solo career she deserved. I think several things played into that. I
    hope she is well and happy.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Thought this was good.bit country but I like it
    Until today I had never paid attention to the country elements in the song. It sounds more AC than anything else. But you're right, the country sound is present.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I saw her perform "I Had to Fall in Love" twice on television. Once on the "Dinah" show and think the "Mike Douglas Show" was the other appearance.
    Way back in the early days of Youtube one of Jean's tv appearances singing this song was posted. I think there's a video on YT currently that uses footage from the appearance but not the sound. I never knew what show it was and I'm surprised to know that she was on TV at least twice and on two nationally shown shows at that.

i find it a nice enough record but blah at best. I certainly understand that it's a much more understated song than, say, Stoned Love or something. but i find the track to be marginal at best and her vocals are just nice. nothing exciting. it's an interesting as a bowl of white rice with butter on it. no soy sauce, no salt, no pepper.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Fans of this one? I first heard it on the 70s Supremes GHARC and loved it from the opening to the closing. A gorgeous vocal by one of my favorite voices of all time. Not a good choice for a single IMO. There were a few more radio friendly cuts on the album that I think had a chance of catching on. But "I Had to Fall In Love" is my favorite song from Jean's album.
    I haven't listened to this or the album in a long time. I fell in love with the song and performance once again hearing this clip. Now I have to dig out my cd or vinyl album! No, I didn't think it was a great choice for a single back in 1978 even though I really liked it. I think I wondered why they didn't choose Don't Stop Reaching For The Top for the lead single [[and album title).
    I almost want to scream at the fact that we were cheated out of a hefty post Supremes Jean Terrell catalog of music. Consistent hit maker or not, she surely would've been a consistently signed artist, at least from the time she left the group to probably the mid to late 80s.
    No kidding! Jean Terrell should have had a record deal, a hit single and successful album at least by 1974. I remember getting all excited when I first heard Up In a Puff of Smoke by Polly Brown in 1974. I had thought my second favorite Supreme Voice had returned [[and not too soon!) Oh, the disappointment. But I fantasized each time I heard it on the radio. 1978 was way too late.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Nice song. 'The Rising Cost of Love' is my favorite off the LP. I'm sad that Jean did
    not have the solo career she deserved. I think several things played into that. I
    hope she is well and happy.
    "Rising Cost of Love" is another fav of mine. Millie Jackson also has a great version.

Way back in the early days of Youtube one of Jean's tv appearances singing this song was posted. I think there's a video on YT currently that uses footage from the appearance but not the sound. I never knew what show it was and I'm surprised to know that she was on TV at least twice and on two nationally shown shows at that.
    In her other appearance she wore jeans tucked in boots. I had a copy of that ,although saw it first on television and the appearance you are referring to, I've had that for years on VHS. Two of her solo concerts have also been floating around for many years. Their not in great quality though, but someday.......

The one song on the album that is quite popular with Gen X and the Hip Hop crowd is "No Limit"! They have sampled it like crazy in recent years. It shows up on Youtube frequently

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    I haven't listened to this or the album in a long time. I fell in love with the song and performance once again hearing this clip. Now I have to dig out my cd or vinyl album! No, I didn't think it was a great choice for a single back in 1978 even though I really liked it. I think I wondered why they didn't choose Don't Stop Reaching For The Top for the lead single [[and album title).

No kidding! Jean Terrell should have had a record deal, a hit single and successful album at least by 1974. I remember getting all excited when I first heard Up In a Puff of Smoke by Polly Brown in 1974. I had thought my second favorite Supreme Voice had returned [[and not too soon!) Oh, the disappointment. But I fantasized each time I heard it on the radio. 1978 was way too late.
    Jean definitely would have had at least one hit single I'm sure, but if we could've had at least five solo albums from her and no hits, I'd still be happy. So much potential. I hate that she made the decision not to stick with it. Diana is the only Supreme we have a ton of music from as a solo. Some of the others should've been recording just as much.

Here's one example of what I was talking about. They LOVE this song:

and another.......

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post

We all thought "Up In A Puff of Smoke" by Polly Brown was Jean Terrell too until one Saturday afternoon Polly was on American Bandstand and then poof! Our bubble was broken. It got a lot of play on CKLW out of Canada.

Jean definitely would have had at least one hit single I'm sure, but if we could've had at least five solo albums from her and no hits, I'd still be happy. So much potential. I hate that she made the decision not to stick with it. Diana is the only Supreme we have a ton of music from as a solo. Some of the others should've been recording just as much.
    jean is a gifted singer but she's not a dedicated recording artist or performer. stunning vocals and singer but that's not enough. she was not happy with the politics and issues within the recording industry and was bitter from her motown experience. She also is known to be difficult to work with.

there are lots of great singers out there. so why would a producer or label bother with a great singer that's a pain in the butt? toss her aside and find another great singer that wants it more

Don't Stop Reaching For The Top was the lead off single, wasn't it? I had the A&M 45 when it was new, and I think it was released prior to the LP....I think No Limit was the B side...I never heard anything else til I got GH&RC and loved I HAD TO FALL IN LOVE. it suits Jeans caressing style...similar to the laid back tracks on the Floy Joy LP....[[I think the Millie Jackson version of Rising Cost is on her Moments Pleasure LP....Kiss You All Over & We Got To Hit it Off are the killer cuts on that LP..it is one of Millie's most even and best LPS) and Millie DOES unquestionably sing Country Soul...her LPS are flooded with C&W tracks..and she sings it good!

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Don't Stop Reaching For The Top was the lead off single, wasn't it? I had the A&M 45 when it was new, and I think it was released prior to the LP....I think No Limit was the B side...I never heard anything else til I got GH&RC and loved I HAD TO FALL IN LOVE. it suits Jeans caressing style...similar to the laid back tracks on the Floy Joy LP....[[I think the Millie Jackson version of Rising Cost is on her Moments Pleasure LP....Kiss You All Over & We Got To Hit it Off are the killer cuts on that LP..it is one of Millie's most even and best LPS) and Millie DOES unquestionably sing Country Soul...her LPS are flooded with C&W tracks..and she sings it good!
    Thanks. I didn't know that. I didn't hear any of the tracks from the album on LA radio. I just happened to see the album [[vinyl) in a Tower Records store and, of course, snatched it up.
    I like Millie Jackson. Definitely Country Soul! [[And on the other side of the spectrum from Jean Terrell).

I always liked Jean's album but I didn't love it. I too wish she had recorded more solo albums. Whatever her reasons, I respect her choice to step away from the business. I had always heard that she didn't want to do much publicity for I Had To Fall In Love and the record company just let it go. Not sure how true it was but the album did seem to suddenly appear without much publicity and then disappear quickly. Glad to have it on CD, though. Jean was always a great vocalist.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Oh yes! Millie is an absolute legend. It was wonderful back in the 70's and 80's when we got a new album from her every 6 months or so. Millie sings country soul better than anyone. Kent did a fab compilation of her country/soul output a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She only did it once, on Dinah

I love Jean's only solo lp, but several things went wrong to sink it.

First, BOTH singles, Don't Stop Reaching For The Top and the title track were issued as singles. Both were great lp tracks but neither had single potential. It was released during the Saturday Night Fever craze. I assumed the first single was going to be That's The Way Love Grows because it sounded more SNF. I think it would have fared better followed by No Limit and maybe Rising Cost Of Love.

Secondly, Jean refused to promote the lp. I remember how excited I was when I was scheduled to interview Jean in New Orleans during a coast to coast promotional tour. A&M was behind Jean all the way. After only a few stops Jean abruptly returned home simply because of airplane fog in Atlanta. I never got that interview, but later she gave me a 2 hr phone interview and was most gracious.

A&M's hot soul group at the time was LTD [[Back In Love Again). Jean was to have toured as their opening act. This would have been great exposure for Jean.

I think once Jean left her husband and two babies she got home sick. She refused to do the tour citing religious reasons. Herb Alpert was furious, pulled promotion on her lp and cancelled her second lp.

Much as I love Jean Terrell's voice, she had one bad attitude and I think that may have hindered her success in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I love Jean's only solo lp, but several things went wrong to sink it.

First, BOTH singles, Don't Stop Reaching For The Top and the title track were issued as singles. Both were great lp tracks but neither had single potential. It was released during the Saturday Night Fever craze. I assumed the first single was going to be That's The Way Love Grows because it sounded more SNF. I think it would have fared better followed by No Limit and maybe Rising Cost Of Love.

Secondly, Jean refused to promote the lp. I remember how excited I was when I was scheduled to interview Jean in New Orleans during a coast to coast promotional tour. A&M was behind Jean all the way. After only a few stops Jean abruptly returned home simply because of airplane fog in Atlanta. I never got that interview, but later she gave me a 2 hr phone interview and was most gracious.

A&M's hot soul group at the time was LTD [[Back In Love Again). Jean was to have toured as their opening act. This would have been great exposure for Jean.

I think once Jean left her husband and two babies she got home sick. She refused to do the tour citing religious reasons. Herb Alpert was furious, pulled promotion on her lp and cancelled her second lp.
    Jean is real lucky Herb Albert didnt sue her for breach of contract. Her religious reasons seem to get in the way a lot. Ive heard shes a bit homophobic but im hoping thats not true.

The tune from the album for me HAS to be "How Can You [[Live Without Love)"!

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Jean is real lucky Herb Albert didnt sue her for breach of contract. Her religious reasons seem to get in the way a lot. Ive heard shes a bit homophobic but im hoping thats not true.
    Jean loved to sing but hated the promotional duties that were part of the deal. She was at her happiest in the studio, but was very uneasy and uncomfortable in the limelight.
    I fully sympathise with Herb Alpert. He promised to make Jean a solo success, but quickly tired of her difficult attitude and pulled the plug on her.
    As regards the rumours of her being homophobic no comment!!!!

Jean is close in style and capability to Dionne and Roberta. Jean can handle many tempos and styles... she excels at subtle. Up The Ladder, Stoned Love and River Deep are prime examples her handling "bite" material....I Had to Fall, Smokey's LP, I Guess Ill Miss The Man and IF show her magical subtle style. ...5.30 Plane is one of my fav. JT cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Jean loved to sing but hated the promotional duties that were part of the deal. She was at her happiest in the studio, but was very uneasy and uncomfortable in the limelight.
    I fully sympathise with Herb Alpert. He promised to make Jean a solo success, but quickly tired of her difficult attitude and pulled the plug on her.
    Your "no comment" speaks volumes dear Bluebrock. Im real dissapointted in Jean if this is the case.

Sorta nice to see that IHTFIL had fans. I was so happy to find the lp in my local Sam Goody but found it a major snooze. As to homophobia, Jean is a Seventh Day Adventist and that group is anti-gay.

Your "no comment" speaks volumes dear Bluebrock. Im real dissapointted in Jean if this is the case.
    Myself as well, Ms. Roberta.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Sorta nice to see that IHTFIL had fans. I was so happy to find the lp in my local Sam Goody but found it a major snooze. As to homophobia, Jean is a Seventh Day Adventist and that group is anti-gay.
    Jean is perfectly entitled to her views on same sex relationships. The ironic thing is, or perhaps i should say the sad thing is The Supremes always had a very large gay following, and there you have another less discussed reason why Jean wanted out.
    I think we perhaps need to get back on topic before this discussion turns toxic.

Jean is perfectly entitled to her views on same sex relationships. The ironic thing is, or perhaps i should say the sad thing is The Supremes always had a very large gay following, and there you have another less discussed reason why Jean wanted out.
    I think we perhaps need to get back on topic before this discussion turns toxic.
    It's a tricky topic, the entitlement to one's views, and there have been discussions here before so we do not need to hash it out once again. BUT I feel that persecuted populations need to know where their $ is going! My most recent [[ish) illustration is my decision to not support the Killers at all, even though I love their music. Their bandleader is a Morman and demurs on his personal feeling about the LGBTQ+ population, but being a Morman means that in fact MILLIONS of dollars of his money are tithed over to one of the most anti-LGBTQ organizations in the USA. I won't be a part of giving a single penny to them! Did Jean ever have another record company 'come knocking' about recording her?

Jean is a Jehovah Witness, not SDA

It's a tricky topic, the entitlement to one's views, and there have been discussions here before so we do not need to hash it out once again. BUT I feel that persecuted populations need to know where their $ is going! My most recent [[ish) illustration is my decision to not support the Killers at all, even though I love their music. Their bandleader is a Morman and demurs on his personal feeling about the LGBTQ+ population, but being a Morman means that in fact MILLIONS of dollars of his money are tithed over to one of the most anti-LGBTQ organizations in the USA. I won't be a part of giving a single penny to them! Did Jean ever have another record company 'come knocking' about recording her?
    I have met Brandon Flowers on more than one occasion to discuss the impact of the music of the Killers especially here in the UK. He came across as a reasonably nice guy for the most part. I mentioned the fact that he is deemed as a sex symbol to both straight and gay fans, but he seemed uncomfortable discussing this. I am honestly not sure if he is homophobic and i did not ask him. If i get the chance to meet him again i shall make a point of asking him. I think the Killers are an excellent band and fully deserve their success.

Who cares about his personal views on anything? His music is what he sells, not his personal views. Let’s not get so damn triggered over everything.

The Killers have a song called "Andy You're A Star" which is about having a crush on another guy. I highly doubt they're homophobic.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    The Killers have a song called "Andy You're A Star" which is about having a crush on another guy. I highly doubt they're homophobic.
    Then why do they donate 20% of their millions of earnings to a homophobic cult that practices gay conversion therapy? djt has retired neurosurgeon Dr. Ben Carson on his cabinet; that doesn't fool me about his racism!

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Jean is a Jehovah Witness, not SDA
    Correction noted!

I have met Brandon Flowers on more than one occasion to discuss the impact of the music of the Killers especially here in the UK. He came across as a reasonably nice guy for the most part. I mentioned the fact that he is deemed as a sex symbol to both straight and gay fans, but he seemed uncomfortable discussing this. I am honestly not sure if he is homophobic and i did not ask him. If i get the chance to meet him again i shall make a point of asking him. I think the Killers are an excellent band and fully deserve their success.
    I think the same as far as their talent goes but the fact remains that Flowers tithes at least 20% of his millions to a homophobic cult that actively enforces the disproved gay conversion therapy. I'm a New Yorker and I know people who think djt is the nicest guy ever; doesn't fool me. I sincerely doubt Flowers will say 'Yes, I'm a homophobe' - he has been asked nearly as much for the past 10 years and always come up with some clever demurral. Fact is he funnels $ to a cult which actively discriminates against myself and my people and for me no entertainment is worth that.

I think the same as far as their talent goes but the fact remains that Flowers tithes at least 20% of his millions to a homophobic cult that actively enforces the disproved gay conversion therapy. I'm a New Yorker and I know people who think djt is the nicest guy ever; doesn't fool me. I sincerely doubt Flowers will say 'Yes, I'm a homophobe' - he has been asked nearly as much for the past 10 years and always come up with some clever demurral. Fact is he funnels $ to a cult which actively discriminates against myself and my people and for me no entertainment is worth that.
    I totally respect your stance. I did not know that Mr Flowers donated so much of his earnings to such a cult. He seemed uncomfortable discussing the sex symbol image. He said he wanted his music to represent who he was, and it shouldn't matter what he looked like. He is a very handsome charismatic man, and there is little doubt that his physical appearance helped the Killers on their way to superstardom, and made him a heartthrob for gay and straight people alike.

I totally respect your stance. I did not know that Mr Flowers donated so much of his earnings to such a cult. He seemed uncomfortable discussing the sex symbol image. He said he wanted his music to represent who he was, and it shouldn't matter what he looked like. He is a very handsome charismatic man, and there is little doubt that his physical appearance helped the Killers on their way to superstardom, and made him a heartthrob for gay and straight people alike.
    ... and a great voice and songwriter as well. Flowers has it all and I regret having to individually 'boycott' his music. I guess Mormonism is a USA phenomenon? As they say, 'you can google it' and find out about their practices. Though I [[sometimes hesitantly) acknowledge that individuals have 'the right' to follow whatsoever 'religion' they wish, when said religion intrudes upon and seeks to limit the rights of others I get off the boat!

... and a great voice and songwriter as well. Flowers has it all and I regret having to individually 'boycott' his music. I guess Mormonism is a USA phenomenon? As they say, 'you can google it' and find out about their practices. Though I [[sometimes hesitantly) acknowledge that individuals have 'the right' to follow whatsoever 'religion' they wish, when said religion intrudes upon and seeks to limit the rights of others I get off the boat!
    I would say that Mormonism is a USA phemomenon. The only other practising Mormons i have knowingly met are the Osmonds!!
    I totally respect your views, and i totally understand why as a gay man you have taken such a stance.
    I will continue to listen to the Killers because i do love their music. I trust you will not be offended by that. There are other artists whom i have admired for their talent but have been less than impressed with their "personal habits" shall we say. There is one world renowned superstar artist out there who is in imminent danger of having their private activities exposed which i personally find more disturbing than whatever Mr Flowers may be guilty off. The entertainment business is rife with undesirable individuals whose fame and wealth allow them to get away with activities that mere mortals like you and i would have trouble covering up. It is not right, but that is the way it is. Sometimes it is best not to know what your heroes get up to in their private lives. I wish you well on this Sunday afternoon.

Orson Scott Card, who is a Mormon, was one of my favourite science fiction writers. Because he has exercised his right to criticize gay marriage, I have exercised my right to boycott his books.

To say Jean is perfectly entitled to her views on same sex relationships [[which to many people those views are already toxic)is like saying Donald Trump is entitled to his views on race. And I guess Anita Bryant was entitled to her’s on gay people. And etc etc etc. I dont get the real point....or maybe I do.
    Last edited by luke; 07-31-2019 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    To say Jean is perfectly entitled to her views on same sex relationships [[which to many people those views are already toxic)is like saying Donald Trump is entitled to his views on race. And I guess Anita Bryant was entitled to her’s on gay people. And etc etc etc. I dont get the real point....or maybe I do.
    I think you get the point Marv. Thanks.

I think you get the point Marv. Thanks.
    I suppose you're entitled to your view that Marv and Luke are the same person. However any evidence is purely circumstantial, so it's time you dropped it. It's getting very wearing and is also against SDF rules to respond to postings using anything other than the user name given in that posting.