[REMOVE ADS]

Alternate takes question

Over the years we have been fortunate to have heard many alternate takes on the expanded albums by Diana Ross, Marvin Gaye and The Supremes. Also some have also appeared on L&F albums.

My question is that is there any reason to doubt the existence of alternate takes of the songs on the other major artist album releases like, for example, Reach Out, With A Lot O' Soul, Going To A Go-Go?

What do you all think please?

[[Foolishly imagining the potential for Expanded albums)

I'm pretty sure that not only do alternate takes exist for songs from the LPs you listed, I also feel that there are songs on those albums that could benefit from the kind of 'extended remixes' that we got on the Deluxe Editions of The Supremes albums. It's a long shot that we'll get any more expanded reissues of classic Motown albums from UMe [[but we can dream & we can keep asking for them on this forum).

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I'm pretty sure that not only do alternate takes exist for songs from the LPs you listed, I also feel that there are songs on those albums that could benefit from the kind of 'extended remixes' that we got on the Deluxe Editions of The Supremes albums. It's a long shot that we'll get any more expanded reissues of classic Motown albums from UMe [[but we can dream & we can keep asking for them on this forum).
    Beside asking for them on this forum, we can flood UME with e-mails & texts/even snail mail asking for more expanded editions & then ourselves purchasing them & getting our friends to also buy them. There is strength in numbers [[requests and sales).

Oh for expanded editions on Marvin Gaye and the Four Tops.The monos are generally different from the stereos.

Good question. I'd like to think there would be.

There are definitely alternate versions and vocal takes on all artists at Motown. I know they say the Temptations' unreleased well is dry, but we still see a new song here or there pop up. I don't think there has been an in-depth exploration into the Motown catalog for alternates. We know the Supremes catalog has been extensively searched due to the amazing work by Andy and George, but until Universal allows labels like the Second Disc to do expanded editions on groups like the Four Tops, Martha, Temptations, Smokey/Miracles we won't know what else there is left in the vaults. I can imagine there are different versions of album tracks and plenty of alternate vocals. I can think of a few alternate vocals that haven't been released.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    There are definitely alternate versions and vocal takes on all artists at Motown. I know they say the Temptations' unreleased well is dry, but we still see a new song here or there pop up. I don't think there has been an in-depth exploration into the Motown catalog for alternates. We know the Supremes catalog has been extensively searched due to the amazing work by Andy and George, but until Universal allows labels like the Second Disc to do expanded editions on groups like the Four Tops, Martha, Temptations, Smokey/Miracles we won't know what else there is left in the vaults. I can imagine there are different versions of album tracks and plenty of alternate vocals. I can think of a few alternate vocals that haven't been released.
    That well is not dry yet.....and alternates well those are most definitely untapped

The multitrack for the Temptations Ball Of Confusion has alternate vocals as well as Eddie Kendricks Eddie’s Love, so I’m sure there are plenty

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    That well is not dry yet.....and alternates well those are most definitely untapped
    Do you know off the top of your head what if any Four Tops alternates exist? I know WITHOUT THE ONE YOU LOVE is definitely one. An alternate appeared on a copy of their debut accidentally no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulmusic4life View Post
    Do you know off the top of your head what if any Four Tops alternates exist? I know WITHOUT THE ONE YOU LOVE is definitely one. An alternate appeared on a copy of their debut accidentally no doubt.
    There are lots already released. Where Did You Go on the mono and stereo version of the album were different versions. Versions of You Keep Running Away exist, as does Brenda, Ask The Lonely, Wonderful Baby and there are more. The rarer version is likely to be tucked away on Fourever box set or a compilation where the new version often gets there by accident.

As Paul said, there are more. For the time being, it's about hoping that an opportunity exists for them to be showcased in a commercial format.