[REMOVE ADS]

The Original Temptations! Rare Photo

Here is a rare photo of the Original Temptations on stage. It looks like Paul Williams was leading at the time of this photo:

Name:  original temptations 2.jpg
Views: 1882
Size:  75.6 KB

L. to R. Eddie Kendricks, Al Bryant, Otis Williams, Melvin Franklin and Paul Williams.

[QUOTE=marv2;527485]Here is a rare photo of the Original Temptations on stage. It looks like Paul Williams was leading at the time of this photo:

Name:  original temptations 2.jpg
Views: 1882
Size:  75.6 KB

Wow a photo with Al Bryant! Good find.

L. to R. Eddie Kendricks, Al Bryant, Otis Williams, Melvin Franklin and Paul Williams.

Wow a photo with Al Bryant! Good find.

What happened to Al Bryant after leaving these early Temptations?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimal Saint View Post
    Sung in local Detroit groups. I don't know what he did in the 70s but he probably had it real rough since he only died at 36, the second youngest Temptation to die too.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimal Saint View Post
    He continued singing. He even joined the Dramatics for a brief time. He died in Florida in 1975 after battling alcoholism for a number of years.

Marv,i've been trying to get my mits on this photo for awhile,any info on where i can get it?

Great find Marv2; Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Marv,i've been trying to get my mits on this photo for awhile,any info on where i can get it?
    Yeah. From the Motown Historical Museum in Detroit. Contact them here and make a request:

https://www.motownmuseum.org/

Feel free to contact them and tell them that you would like a copy of this photograph. They are some of the nicest people on Earth there!

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Great find Marv2; Thanks for sharing!
    You're most welcome Motown Eddie.

It seems to me that Eddie is always happiest when Paul is singing lead.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    He continued singing. He even joined the Dramatics for a brief time. He died in Florida in 1975 after battling alcoholism for a number of years.
    Hi Marv!

Al Bryant didn't sing with the Dramatics. He was mistaken for one of the founding members of the Dramatics, Al/Elbert Wilkins, in the sleevenotes for the Mello Drama album in the 90s, which contained some shelved songs that Don Davis had produced and Al sang on in the early 70s.

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi Marv!

Al Bryant didn't sing with the Dramatics. He was mistaken for one of the founding members of the Dramatics, Al/Elbert Wilkins, in the sleevenotes for the Mello Drama album in the 90s, which contained some shelved songs that Don Davis had produced and Al sang on in the early 70s.

Best regards
    Heikki
    Thank you Heikki for clearing that up! I did find that interesting in that I had not heard that before now. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi Marv!

Best regards
    Heikki
    Didn’t Al Bryant open for the Dramatics on some of their early shows? I was thinking that was what Marv was referring to.
    Last edited by jboy88; 07-22-2019 at 09:04 PM.

Hey marv,there's a pic of the caveliers out of cleveland and one of the guys looks like eddie,are you familiar with this photo?

Hey marv,there's a pic of the caveliers out of cleveland and one of the guys looks like eddie,are you familiar with this photo?
    No, I know Eddie, Paul and I believe Kell were members of the Cavaliers before moving to Detroit. I've seen the pic of the Primes it was in Mary Wilson's book.

Ok the members of the Cavaliers were Eddie Kendricks, Paul Williams, Willy Waller, and Kell Osborne.

I know but this photo only has the guy that looks like eddie,i saw it in an old music mag.

When Primes broke up and Eddie and Paul joined the Elgins later called The Temptations. Kell Osborne went on to record as a solo artist:

@marv2, how do you know what photos are available? I didn't see anything on the museum web site that spotlighted any photographs. The last time I was there I did buy a few 8x10 glossies of the Vandellas and the Marvelettes, but I didn't know there was more available. How do you find out what they have?

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    @marv2, how do you know what photos are available? I didn't see anything on the museum web site that spotlighted any photographs. The last time I was there I did buy a few 8x10 glossies of the Vandellas and the Marvelettes, but I didn't know there was more available. How do you find out what they have?
    You have to email them or call them and ask them. They have tons of photo reproductions at the museum.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    It seems to me that Eddie is always happiest when Paul is singing lead.
    Not surprising. They were "soul brothers". When Paul died, a piece of Eddie went with Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Not surprising. They were "soul brothers". When Paul died, a piece of Eddie went with Paul.
    Eddie even named his son Paul after Paul Williams. His son is friends with my nephew.

Eddie wanted to leave long before he actually did,i think he stayed because of paul.

Eddie wanted to leave long before he actually did,i think he stayed because of paul.
    That is true.

Thanks Marv

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Thanks Marv
    You are very welcome Copley.

please tell me Eddie doesn't have a man bun!!! lol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You have to email them or call them and ask them. They have tons of photo reproductions at the museum.
    Just saw this. Thanks!