[REMOVE ADS]

Flo's ABC Masters Reportedly a Casualty In the 2008 Fire

Marv reported in another part of the forum that Flo's ABC masters were lost in the 2008 Universal fire. A google search produces very little information. Sad news if true. I wonder if George or Andy and the guys have any information and how this might effect any future releases of Flo's solo alternate versions. Back when the Flo sessions were only available on bootleg, I received a copy that had some alternates of "It Doesn't Matter How I Say It" [[one of which was a superior vocal to the released version) and alternates of "My Heart", along with the instrumental track to "You Don't Have To". I later learned that some fans had copies that included alternates of many of the other songs as well. I've been hoping some of them might get a mix and released on future Supremes compilations, but if this fire really destroyed the masters, and barring that there is not a copy in wherever it is Motown is storing their holdings, then I guess the bootlegs will be all that remains [[aside from the official 2002 Spectrum release).

Yes, I believe the ABC masters are a memory now, so it breaks my heart that we'll not hear any Flo unreleased or alternate takes. Ditto Rufus/Chaka pre-1979.

If Motown bought the masters surely they’d be with the other Motown tapes, i.e. not in the Universal vault that caught fire.

I understand most, if not all of the tapes stored there had already been transferred to high-res digital because, unfortunately, everything that old is finally starting to fall apart.

I also understand Motown's tape library was moved to the East Coast after PolyGram took over in 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_olhsson View Post
    I understand most, if not all of the tapes stored there had already been transferred to high-res digital because, unfortunately, everything that old is finally starting to fall apart.

I also understand Motown's tape library was moved to the East Coast after PolyGram took over in 1994.
    I hope this to be true. It is nothing less than a crime to not have a backup of such a catalog. This included many artists from the golden age of US music including Ella, Judy, Patsy, Billie, Bing, Louis, and many lesser known artists.