[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Tyler Moore Loves Gladys Knight & The Pips

Not much to get excited over- just watching an episode of the old Mary Tyler Moore Show and there was a gag about her having bought a stereo set but it wasn't working right. Mary tells Murray she can hear Gladys Knight..BUT NONE of the PIPS! I love when someone drops a Motown artist into a show's dialogue!

Cool! Reminds me of an episode of "Good Times" where J.J., in anticipation of possibly moving to L.A., says he can "sit across from Diana Ross, be near Pam Grier, and let Freda Payne drive me insane."

I think it was Rue McClanahan, as Blanche on 'The Golden Girls', who exclaimed "My car's the noisiest thing to come out of Detroit since Martha and The Vandellas!"

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    I think it was Rue McClanahan, as Blanche on 'The Golden Girls', who exclaimed "My car's the noisiest thing to come out of Detroit since Martha and The Vandellas!"
    That is still my favorite one liner ever from "Golden Girls!"

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post

They also referenced the Temptations and the Marvelettes on Golden Girls.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRavenATL View Post
    They also referenced the Temptations and the Marvelettes on Golden Girls.
    JohnnyRavenATL? Have you relocated from the Left Coast?

And don't forget Carol Burnett, Vicki Lawrence and Eydie Gorme as the ever popular "Donna Rose and The Magnificents" or, for that matter, Dinah Shore, Lucille Ball and Diana Ross as Not The Marvelettes or Joanne Worley, Goldie Hawn, Diana Ross and others as the What's The News Across The Nation Non-Vandellas.

Don't think they were Motown, but Redd Foxx [[Sanford) had The Inkspots as his go-to, "And Would I Be Sure" [[?)

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    JohnnyRavenATL? Have you relocated from the Left Coast?
    No. We’re two different people. When I joined, I didn’t know the name was already taken. I have never been to the West Coast.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRavenATL View Post
    No. We’re two different people. When I joined, I didn’t know the name was already taken. I have never been to the West Coast.
    That's funny. The West Coast Johnny Raven is a great guy. He once sold me a copy of the hard to find "This is the Story" 70s Supremes box set at its original price even though it was selling on Amazon for $200 or so. A really generous person who at the time said to me "It's all about the music," even though I offered him more for the set.

Anyway, welcome to SDF!

I always love it when a random Motown reference appears in anything... TV, film, adverts, even conversation!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I always love it when a random Motown reference appears in anything... TV, film, adverts, even conversation!!!
    Or on "Jeopardy." Recently, there was an answer and the question was "Who is Diana Ross and the Supremes?" Surprisingly, it went unanswered. I think it was something pretty basic like, "These 3 girls started out as the Primettes before having a successful hit record with...[[I think they mentioned "Baby Love" perhaps)..."

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    That's funny. The West Coast Johnny Raven is a great guy. He once sold me a copy of the hard to find "This is the Story" 70s Supremes box set at its original price even though it was selling on Amazon for $200 or so. A really generous person who at the time said to me "It's all about the music," even though I offered him more for the set.

Anyway, welcome to SDF!
    Thank you! He is a good guy to do that! I have been debating in my mind if I’m going to drop the over $200 for This Is The Story since the JMC lineup is my favorite grouping outside of the original Supremes! But I’m loving it here in SD!

Another Golden Girls line from Sophia: "What are we celebrating? Did the Supremes get back together?". There was also a Florence Ballard reference on Roseanne in one of the early episodes but cant remember the exact line.

Golden Girls Motown references...

Sophia [[in referring to liver spots): “I’ve got more dark skin than the Temptations!”

Another episode where Dorothy has a gambling addiction and she tells Rose “I’ve been in dark places and I’ve lived with the temptations.” And Rose looks at Blanche and says “To think, Dorothy has lived with the Temptations and I haven’t even been to one of their concerts!”

When Dorothy’s son marries a black woman, her mother and two aunts come over and Sophia walks in and says “Oh I see Martha and the Vandellas are back.”

Rose telling a story about a mute uncle: “When he wanted to say something he’d spell it out in salt. Unless he was quoting a song by the Four Tops then he’d spell it out in pepper.”

When the girls hire a housemaid who they think put a curse on them, they try to get the curse reversed by bringing her back and offering her roses, champagne and a tiara. Sophia walks in and goes: “What are we celebrating? Did the Supremes get back together?”
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 07-18-2019 at 08:37 PM.

In his short story "You Know They Got a Hell of a Band", Stephen King, through the late disc jockey Alan Freed, includes Ballard as one of the deceased artists who performs in a town called "Rock and Roll Heaven". They had a copy of the show on Youtube some years back.

Remember this ?

and of course......"Flo and the Flavorettes!"

And this one:

I also remember an episode of the 80's sitcom, "Mr. Belvidere". There was a scene where the teenage son was dressed in full gown, wig and earrings for some kind in initiation or whatever. Mr. Belvider sees this and asks the kid "Who are you? One of the Marvelettes?" Definitely a jaw-dropping reference to me because they could have easily have taken the automatic route and said Supremes. I thought it was so cool.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    And this one:

A classic TV moment!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    And this one:

Bern’Nadette Stanis actually had that Supremes look. If she had the pipes, she would have been a great fit for the later 70s lineup. She looks the part in that picture with Mary and Scherrie

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    And don't forget Carol Burnett, Vicki Lawrence and Eydie Gorme as the ever popular "Donna Rose and The Magnificents" or, for that matter, Dinah Shore, Lucille Ball and Diana Ross as Not The Marvelettes or Joanne Worley, Goldie Hawn, Diana Ross and others as the What's The News Across The Nation Non-Vandellas.
    I remember seeing that 'Donna Rose & The Magnificents' sketch on The Carol Burnett Show back in 1970 and I still think it's one of the funniest parodies they've done [[and I'm still looking for it to turn up on YouTube).

Mary played herself on "227"

The Temptations on "Moonlighting"

The Tempts on 227.

Gladys Knight and the Pips on Benson.

Gladys Knight on A Different World.

Diana Ross on Sesame Street.

Stevie Wonder on Sesame Street.

There was an episode of Webster from the 80s with the Four Tops. I think they were on there twice.

One of my favorites: Gladys Knight on "The Jeffersons."

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Gladys Knight on A Different World.

Oh yeah, I remember. That was hot!

I remember Marvin Gaye in this made for TV movie "Chrome and Hot Leather" from 1971

Here is Kim Weston playing a teacher on the "Bill Cosby Show" in the early 70s:

Just watched 'Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore'. When the title character comes back from a makeover and knocks on the door her son asks who's there. 'Diana Ross', she answers!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Just watched 'Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore'. When the title character comes back from a makeover and knocks on the door her son asks who's there. 'Diana Ross', she answers!
    I forgot about that! I'll have to watch for it next time that movie comes on!

I love the scene in Jumpin' Jack Flash where Whoopi Goldberg sneaks into a party while lip-syncing "You Can't Hurry Love" played off her Walkman cassette player! Here's the video: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x354du

Here are David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks with Tichina Arnold on the soap opera "Ryan's Hope"

Name:  David ruffin Eddie Kendricks on Ryan's Hope.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  88.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    and of course......"Flo and the Flavorettes!"

If only it could have been. Can you just imagine if Flo was never kicked out of the group and she became the lead singer after D. Ross left and maybe Cindy and also Jean had joined the grouP? tHIS could have been them singing.

Quote Originally Posted by REYnoldo Chavez View Post
    If only it could have been. Can you just imagine if Flo was never kicked out of the group and she became the lead singer after D. Ross left and maybe Cindy and also Jean had joined the grouP? tHIS could have been them singing.
    With Mary Wilson there too? That would have been too much awesomeness...........LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    With Mary Wilson there too? That would have been too much awesomeness...........LOL!
    Oh of course Mary would be there. It be nice to see the group return to four members.

Quote Originally Posted by REYnoldo Chavez View Post
    Oh of course Mary would be there. It be nice to see the group return to four members.
    That would be nice, but they are very old women now and probably not looking at performing much longer.