[REMOVE ADS]

Velvelettes LIVE! Last WeeK

These ladies are truly timeless. What a performance of their classic Needle in a Haystack last week at the Don Was Concert of Colours in Detroit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH9J3SEfoMo
    Fab-yew-less!

I'm happy to see that they are still doing it! Thank you Sharpmoves.

Looking good too!

They look and sound great, are these ladies all original members of the group. If so they must be one of the only groups still performing with the original line-up.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    They look and sound great, are these ladies all original members of the group. If so they must be one of the only groups still performing with the original line-up.
    Yes, all are original members.
    Left to right: Bert, Norma, Milly and Cal. The only missing original member is Betty Kelley, who left the group early on, to replace Nettie Beard as a Vandella in 1964.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Yes, all are original members.
    Left to right: Bert, Norma, Milly and Cal. The only missing original member is Betty Kelley, who left the group early on, to replace Nettie Beard as a Vandella in 1964.
    Wonderful consummate professional appearance by Motown's only all original performing group - just what we have come to expect...

They should be featured on any Motown Special or celebration. They would be appreciated for their talent and the fact that they present group cohesion on stage. The way it should be. Just made my day.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    They should be featured on any Motown Special or celebration. They would be appreciated for their talent and the fact that they present group cohesion on stage. The way it should be. Just made my day.
    The answer you'll get from some is "but most people don't know who they are.....". Yep, well most people won't know because they never get included in the recognition of Motown!

With the exception of Betty, the group comprised sisters [[Cal & Milly) and cousins [[Bert & Norma). This might account for their staying together, like Gladys & The Pips — also siblings [[Gladys & Bubba) and cousins [[Edward and William). Family ties often are strong.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The answer you'll get from some is "but most people don't know who they are.....". Yep, well most people won't know because they never get included in the recognition of Motown!
    Yeah well with a performance like this, their credibility will be established immediately! Hum, all original, looking and sounding great = a no brainer. In the end, they look real happy on stage together and I guess that is what counts.

I've loved The Velvelettes since I first discovered their "Needle In A Haystsck" on the LP "A Collection Of 16 Original Big Hits [[Vol. 6) back in 1967. Norman Whitfeld produced some great tracks on the girls. I still have trouble comprehending their 3rd-rung status at Motown. It made no sense. If only they hadn't been assigned to the VIP label. I think that may have sealed their fate from the start.

Gary- The ladies don't see it quite the same way but they will be delighted to learn that their contribution is still being enjoyed some 50 odd years later!

When the Velvelettes won against the Supremes at the Graystone, they secured a temporary high ranking position which elevated them to be in a position where they could reject Where Did Our Love Go! Agreed, so did the Marvelettes reject it but it's interesting to me that the Velvelettes did too. However, the Supremes were not given that opportunity. The clearly unexpected but very welcome subsequent success of the Supremes with that tune now changed things completely and it made it possible for Mr Gordy to expand by giving opportunities to his other acts - particularly those that had not yet tasted success. However, he still needed to protect and maintain that revenue stream from his top act in order to do that. The other acts all understood that even though they weren't all 100% happy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Gary- The ladies don't see it quite the same way but they will be delighted to learn that their contribution is still being enjoyed some 50 odd years later!

When the Velvelettes won against the Supremes at the Graystone, they secured a temporary high ranking position which elevated them to be in a position where they could reject Where Did Our Love Go! Agreed, so did the Marvelettes reject it but it's interesting to me that the Velvelettes did too. However, the Supremes were not given that opportunity. The clearly unexpected but very welcome subsequent success of the Supremes with that tune now changed things completely and it made it possible for Mr Gordy to expand by giving opportunities to his other acts - particularly those that had not yet tasted success. However, he still needed to protect and maintain that revenue stream from his top act in order to do that. The other acts all understood that even though they weren't all 100% happy about it.
    Boyfromxtown, I knew that "Where Did Our Love Go" was offered to, and refused by, The Marvelettes, but I had no idea it had also suffered the same offer/refusal fate by The Velvelettes. Cal and her family surely maintained healthy and positive attitudes to not look back on their Motown years with resentment as so many other Motown artists did -- many who had more success at Motown than The Velvelettes experienced.

Yes, by all means, make sure that your buddies Cal Gill & The Velvelettes know that their Motown fans still rate them right up there with The Supremes, Martha & The Vandellas, and Wanda Rogers & The Marvelettes.

Great Ladies! maybe the fact that they weren't forced out onto the road by constant big hit records and big $$$ engagements gave them enough time to preserve the talent, friendship, tolerance and sanity...and abled them to lead more "normal" away from show business lives...they are top notch performers.... Their only issued on vinyl LP recorded for Ian Levine's Motorcity project has nice reworkings of the hits, and some then new excellent recordings. It is still available on Ebay.

I felt very uplifted watching this perky performance. Seems if you've got music in your bones, it follows you your whole life.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I felt very uplifted watching this perky performance. Seems if you've got music in your bones, it follows you your whole life.
    Hey, Boogie! The Velvelettes have still got their act together -- both figuratively and literally! And, man, you are so right about music! Once it gets in your blood, it becomes a permanent part of you. I haven't played drums since graduating from high school in 1969, yet, to this day, when a hot song starts playing, I still find myself banging out rhythms on whatever surface is available -- a table-top, my lap, or, depending on my physical position at the time, my belly! Funny, and maybe a little weird to some, but true!