[REMOVE ADS]

Every lyric and line...

When it comes to the lyrics of the Supremes [[as a group and as solo artists), which line or lyrics of a song hit you in the musical emotions?

For instance, my favorite part of "Love Is Here and Now You're Gone" is when Diana sings "Look at me, see what loving you has done to me/Look at my face, see how crying has left it's trace/After you made me all your own, and then left me all alone..." I felt that. And Flo and Mary's repeats make it even more heartfelt.

Or in "Bill When Are You Coming Back" when Jean sings that she cried I love you and looked in a stranger's eyes. Boy, something about that line gets to me.

Mary singing "Darling just relax you melt me like hot candle wax..." on Touch

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    For instance, my favorite part of "Love Is Here and Now You're Gone" is when Diana sings "Look at me, see what loving you has done to me/Look at my face, see how crying has left it's trace/After you made me all your own, and then left me all alone..." I felt that. And Flo and Mary's repeats make it even more heartfelt.
    SPOT on RANRAN!

HEY, I JUST GOT "The Composer" REFERENCE! Cheeky

"At last, at last, my forever came today / When you walked into my life and made my lonely life a paradise / It came today, forever came today"

Three that come to mind are these:

"I still love you, and I always will; I still thrill to your kiss..." [[Never Again)

"Darling, I wonder, are all these tears in vain..." [[spoken line at the end of Tears In Vain)

"You make me smile with my heart..." [[My Funny Valentine)

Of course, the entirety of each song has seemed magnetic many times over the years, but those specific words, and the way Diana Ross shapes each one, are still particularly magical and moving to me.

Mary Wilson when she sang "You Are the Heart of Me".........the whole song! LOL!

And each time that darkness falls, it finds me alone with these four walls.

"Tender words of love that once came easy, now seem strained and insincere" ….from "The Beginning of The End"...….lyrically, and in entirety It Makes No Difference Now, I'm Giving You Your Freedom [[my all time fav of all early Motown cha cha's) and It's So Hard to Say Goodbye always kill me....Someday We'll Be Together and Reflections come close.
    Last edited by gman; 07-17-2019 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    HEY, I JUST GOT "The Composer" REFERENCE! Cheeky
    I thought it was a fitting title for a thread about lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    Three that come to mind are these:

"I still love you, and I always will; I still thrill to your kiss..." [[Never Again)
    Yes!! I love that part!! [[And love the song.)

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    And each time that darkness falls, it finds me alone with these four walls.
    When you think about it, that entire song is an emotional ride.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    "Tender words of love that once came easy, now seem strained and insincere" ….from "The Beginning of The End"...….lyrically, and in entirety It Makes No Difference Now, I'm Giving You Your Freedom [[my all time fav of all early Motown cha cha's) and It's So Hard to Say Goodbye always kill me....Someday We'll Be Together and Reflections come close.
    "Beginning of the End", definitely a good example. Also "It's So Hard For Me To Say Goodbye". That ending when Jean sings so painfully over and over that it's so hard for her to say goodbye...gets me every time.

How about "I said kiss me please, he said after I eat" in "Buttered Popcorn"? I kid.

But when Flo sings "dis-con-nect" her telephone in "Good News", she kills me. It sounds like she wasn't playing. She was serious about her man coming home and she was not to be disturbed.

“Looking over my yesterdays
    And all the love I gave all in vain”

That lyric still gets me.

recently i really dug into the lyrics of This Is The Story and they're so emotional. especially what i bolded below

This is the story
    Of my life to be filled with pain
    Faces change, but the pattern stays
    Still I try
    But I don't know why
    Like the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle
    With love missing, life's too big a struggle to go on
    I can't be that strong [[ah, ah, ah)
    This is the story
    I'm just an item in your private collection
    But you, to me, are my prized possession
    Happiness is eluding me
    You stand here confusing me
    Darling, please tell me what's wrong with me,
    With me, with me?
    This is the story
    This is the story
    This is the story
    I know I'm gonna let you love me again
    'Cause I can't stop in my tracks like a train
    I can't get off this ride, I tried
    Why can't I just die?

This is the story
    This is the story
    Of my life
    Please make it right
    This is the story, yeah
    Please rewrite my story, yeah
    Of my life
    Please make it right, please make it right
    Ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh, story of my life
    Ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh, story of my life
    Of my life
    Of my life

But when Flo sings "dis-con-nect" her telephone in "Good News", she kills me. It sounds like she wasn't playing. She was serious about her man coming home and she was not to be disturbed.
    RANRAN STOP STEALING MY SUGGESTIONS! Honestly!

As someone else said that last verse of Love Is Here is one for me. Diana's dramatic plea and Flo and Mary's desperate responses. Same thing for Come See About Me, there's a sadness to Diana's tone and once again Flo and Mary [[particularly Flo) have these desperate, pleading responses. Their reinditon of People is another [[I know a lot of people hate but I love every second of it). I remember playing it after a break up and it hit me in the feels.

Quote Originally Posted by zani57 View Post
    “Looking over my yesterdays
    And all the love I gave all in vain”

That lyric still gets me.
    Oh yeah, that's a serious lyric.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    recently i really dug into the lyrics of This Is The Story and they're so emotional. especially what i bolded below
    That entire song is serious. It's also a great showcase for why Jean is one of my absolute favorite singers ever. She gets so into the lyrics, it's believable that it could be autobiographical. It's such a killer song.

RANRAN STOP STEALING MY SUGGESTIONS! Honestly!
    I can't help it Tom. Great minds think alike. Of course we better lay low. We might get accused of being the same person the way Marv and Luke are being accused.

But for real, Flo brought her A game to "Good News". I still say it's a pity that she wasn't given more songs like that to sink her teeth into. She really would've been the best Supreme for "These Boots Are Made For Walking".

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Their reinditon of People is another [[I know a lot of people hate but I love every second of it). I remember playing it after a break up and it hit me in the feels.
    The part in the studio version where Florence does that last "People who need peeeoooopppllleee..." is one of my favorite Supremes moments. And the Funny Girl album version of "People" with Diana, that same last part is my favorite. Although Diana does her line different than Florence did, it still strikes the same chord in me.

I can't help it Tom. Great minds think alike. Of course we better lay low. We might get accused of being the same person the way Marv and Luke are being accused.

But for real, Flo brought her A game to "Good News". I still say it's a pity that she wasn't given more songs like that to sink her teeth into. She really would've been the best Supreme for "These Boots Are Made For Walking".
    GASP! What an outrageous accusation that would be!

I love Flo on "Good News", it's probably my favourite version of the song. I love The Supremes' version of "Boots" as it is, but would have loved a Flo version too.

"And I Thought You Loved Me,
    When I saw that loving feeling in your eyes.
    And I Thought You Loved Me,
    But you were only kissing me goodbye."

A favorite fun lyric is from “Give Up” —

I have not met
    A man yet
    To escape from
    My dragnet

Quote Originally Posted by zani57 View Post
    A favorite fun lyric is from “Give Up” —

I have not met
    A man yet
    To escape from
    My dragnet
    I never knew what Diana was saying in that last line... I'd never heard the word "dragnet" before so that's probably why!

"a net drawn through a river or across ground to trap fish or game"

HA!

I never knew what Diana was saying in that last line... I'd never heard the word "dragnet" before so that's probably why!

"a net drawn through a river or across ground to trap fish or game"

HA!
    You’re probably too young to remember the TV series “Dragnet” with Jack Webb and Harry Morgan. It was a cop show and there would be a police dragnet for wanted criminals. I always thought it was a clever lyric.

I love The Supremes' version of "Boots" as it is, but would have loved a Flo version too.
    I love it as is also, but had they given that song to Florence, I believe, aside from the two singles, it would have been the highlight of the A Go Go album.

i think Flo would have done a great job with Boots. would have fit her sassy style and given her an opportunity to add some personality to the song.

although if hers and mary's BG vocals on most of the rest of A Go Go are any indication, then good thing she didn't sing it! lol IMO the backgrounds to many of the AGG album tracks are possibly some of the most boring ever laid down. Money, Baby I Need Your Loving, Hang On Sloopy. I don't think i've ever heard M and F so disengaged and disinterested. Possibly the producers instructed them to sing it simple and straight. but still - lord! Especially on Sloopy - why on earth didn't they let the girls SING and get excited. especially for the ending. i'm always thinking it could have had similarities to the ending of Let Me Go The Right Way. let Flo ad lib, let the girls have fun

"possibly some of the most boring ever laid down. Money, Baby I Need Your Loving, Hang On Sloopy.."

sup_fan, in my opinion, Hang On Sloopy was one of the two least interesting song choices on the album; the rendition by all three Supremes was better than most of their work on the slapped-together covers on A Bit Of Liverpool, but the A'Go-Go album would have been better with some other Motown reinterpretation. Mary made herself known in a positive way with her background on Get Ready, and both she and Florence really stepped to the fore on Baby I Need Your Loving, especially from 1:40 to 2:04 [[behind the lead lyric beginning with "when you see me smiling...") and again from 2:20 onward [[behind the lead lyric beginning with "in the midnight hour...). Especially in the 1:40 segment, Florence and Mary with their urgent "I need you and I want you..." seem to be building in intensity much the same way they did on Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart, where they sang "Keeps me crying..." and their contributions are one reason why Baby I Need Your Loving is one of the two or three best covers on the album, at least in my mind.

"But I love you more than I've ever loved ANYONE."

There is just something about the song and those words themselves as sung by Jean always makes me feel melancholy, especially because it brought up memories of a long-ago love. A song that obviously came from some place of truth for the writer.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i think Flo would have done a great job with Boots. would have fit her sassy style and given her an opportunity to add some personality to the song.

although if hers and mary's BG vocals on most of the rest of A Go Go are any indication, then good thing she didn't sing it! lol IMO the backgrounds to many of the AGG album tracks are possibly some of the most boring ever laid down. Money, Baby I Need Your Loving, Hang On Sloopy. I don't think i've ever heard M and F so disengaged and disinterested. Possibly the producers instructed them to sing it simple and straight. but still - lord! Especially on Sloopy - why on earth didn't they let the girls SING and get excited. especially for the ending. i'm always thinking it could have had similarities to the ending of Let Me Go The Right Way. let Flo ad lib, let the girls have fun
    That's my criticism of A Go Go also, that Flo and Mary aren't themselves on at least half the album. Other than the singles, I think their highlights were "This Old Heart of Mine", "Shake Me", and, although you disagree, "Baby I Need Your Loving" is an all around great cover IMO. Compare some of the lackluster vocals on "Money" or even "Mickey's Monkey" to what they did on "Satisfaction" or even "Hangin On", which was recorded right after the A Go Go sessions were finished. Clearly it's not like Flo and Mary had somehow lost a step in their vocal capabilities, so what was the problem? It has to be production. I can't imagine the producers telling them to sing that way, but I can't imagine Flo and Mary not wanting to cut loose either. Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    "possibly some of the most boring ever laid down. Money, Baby I Need Your Loving, Hang On Sloopy.."

sup_fan, in my opinion, Hang On Sloopy was one of the two least interesting song choices on the album; the rendition by all three Supremes was better than most of their work on the slapped-together covers on A Bit Of Liverpool, but the A'Go-Go album would have been better with some other Motown reinterpretation. Mary made herself known in a positive way with her background on Get Ready, and both she and Florence really stepped to the fore on Baby I Need Your Loving, especially from 1:40 to 2:04 [[behind the lead lyric beginning with "when you see me smiling...") and again from 2:20 onward [[behind the lead lyric beginning with "in the midnight hour...). Especially in the 1:40 segment, Florence and Mary with their urgent "I need you and I want you..." seem to be building in intensity much the same way they did on Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart, where they sang "Keeps me crying..." and their contributions are one reason why Baby I Need Your Loving is one of the two or three best covers on the album, at least in my mind.
    I agree with you about "Baby I Need Your Loving" 100 percent, right down to my favorite parts. But in regards to "Sloopy" and Liverpool album, one big difference is the fact that whatever criticisms can be leveled against the album, vocals aint one of them. All three ladies were in it to win it, which sadly can't be said for some of what ended up on the A Go Go album, including "Sloopy".

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    "But I love you more than I've ever loved ANYONE."

There is just something about the song and those words themselves as sung by Jean always makes me feel melancholy, especially because it brought up memories of a long-ago love. A song that obviously came from some place of truth for the writer.
    Absolutely. I remember this song used to be among my absolute favs. For some reason over the years I've cooled on it a bit, but there's no denying the seriousness of those lyrics.

That's my criticism of A Go Go also, that Flo and Mary aren't themselves on at least half the album. Other than the singles, I think their highlights were "This Old Heart of Mine", "Shake Me", and, although you disagree, "Baby I Need Your Loving" is an all around great cover IMO. Compare some of the lackluster vocals on "Money" or even "Mickey's Monkey" to what they did on "Satisfaction" or even "Hangin On", which was recorded right after the A Go Go sessions were finished. Clearly it's not like Flo and Mary had somehow lost a step in their vocal capabilities, so what was the problem? It has to be production. I can't imagine the producers telling them to sing that way, but I can't imagine Flo and Mary not wanting to cut loose either. Strange.
    Satisfaction is a pretty good canned track. Uptight is terrible. the lyrics don't really work although the girls sing it well. And I'll reconsider my stance on Baby I Need. compared Sloopy and Money, it's far better. I do like the song Hang On Sloopy and it's a shame they didn't do something more with it on the lp. could have been an excellent cover