[REMOVE ADS]

Save The Chidren Soundtrack album Motown M-800

This album appears to have been released with three different covers, although the records inside each are all on the blue Motown label albeit with slight variations pointing to have been pressed in different plants. There is nothing on any of the sleeves to indicate the 2 alternative ones were licensed to other Records labels for release either. Were all three variations genuine Motown releases?

Name:  800a.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  93.4 KB
    Name:  800a1.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  52.4 KB
    Name:  800x.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  19.9 KB

I have the album with the grey cover, which I've always considered the original genuine release. The other two look decidedly cheap and dodgy! By the way, this is a real contender for CD reissue.

Quote Originally Posted by alanh View Post
    I have the album with the grey cover, which I've always considered the original genuine release. The other two look decidedly cheap and dodgy! By the way, this is a real contender for CD reissue.
    Not only should Save The Children get a 'deluxe edition' CD release, the film of the concert is long overdue for a DVD/Blu-Ray release. And yes, those other covers for STC do look cheap.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 07-16-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Not only should Save The Children get a 'deluxe edition' CD release, the film of the concert is long overdue for a DVD/Blu-Ray release. And yes, those other covers for STC do look cheap.
    Definitely agree with you Eddie about the DVD/Blu-Ray as well as the CD!

I would concur with you that the grey cover is the true first release of the album. The other 2 cheesy covers remind me of K-tel TV re-releases, lol.
    Darin

I didn't even know that Motown had different LP covers for the Save The Children Soundtrack LP before seeing this post. Went to the Discogs website and they had all three of the variations. Not only do the 2 'cheesy covers' look like something that a budget label [[like K-Tel) would put out, they also clash with the tone of the Save The Children event. Another "what was Motown thinking" moment.

I wonder if the alternate covers were for some sort of giveaway or discount bins.

It definitely needs a reissue!So many great classic songs that were performed live.It would also be great to include other artists that weren't included in the soundtrack and in the movie.