[REMOVE ADS]

Supreme Glamour - Mary Wilson of the Supremes returns to Cranston

Name:  Screenshot_2019-07-16 Tickets Mary Wilson at Rhode Island Center for Performing Arts at The Park.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  5.9 KBLots of tix available for those in the RI area. The red ones are sold.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 07-16-2019 at 08:35 AM.

As far as I know, neither the Supremes nor any of its members including Mary Wilson and Diana Ross ever received a competing Grammy Award either as a member of the group or as a soloist. [[Recently, Diana was finally given a Lifetime Achievement Grammy).

In this article Mary is listed as a Grammy winning singer. Does anyone know what song it was? I've eliminated Supremes songs and Mary Wilson solos, but perhaps it is a song of another artist's song that she contributed to and that song won the Grammy. Any info or was this article just a mistake?

A Grammy-winning singer, best-selling author, motivational speaker, businesswoman, former U.S. Cultural Ambassador, wife, mother, and grandmother — she has yet to slow down. Just weeks after her Park Theatre performance, Ms. Wilson will release her fourth book, "Supreme Glamour." This highly anticipated coffee table book will showcase the gowns The Supremes were known for over the decades.

Possibly for an audio version of one of the books?

Actually the Grammy official website lists 'Wins 0, nominations 2'

https://www.grammy.com/grammys/artists/mary-wilson

Thanks Marv. This is great. Mary will be highly visible with the coming of her book. Go Mary!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Thanks Marv. This is great. Mary will be highly visible with the coming of her book. Go Mary!
    I am anticipating her being all over television this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Actually the Grammy official website lists 'Wins 0, nominations 2'

https://www.grammy.com/grammys/artists/mary-wilson
    Mary's publicity is probably somebody unpaid who does the best they can.

The Supremes got nominated for Stop in the Name of Love and probably something else. Interestingly, that is one of the songs where Mary isn't on the single release.

She can't win.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

The Supremes got nominated for Stop in the Name of Love and probably something else. Interestingly, that is one of the songs where Mary isn't on the single release.

She can't win.
    According to the official Grammy site the other nom was for Best Rhythm & Blues recording, for Baby Love in '64. She should see that the Grammy line in her bio is struck; it is provably untrue. [[The 'businesswoman' part is a tad specious as well, but I'll leave that as it is). The gig in question is billed as a 'return'; I wonder what the numbers were for the last appearance? 42 seats are taken for this performance, with at least 20 of those VIP seats, meaning either promotional give-aways or season ticket holders. What can the economics be for presenting a show with a box office take, so far, of at most about $2600?
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 07-16-2019 at 02:02 PM.

She can't win.
    The other was BEST RHYTHM & BLUES RECORDING
    Baby Love

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I am anticipating her being all over television this fall.
    And im betting Luke is anticipating the excact same thing. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Well the local news in that city.

As for economics, $500 is $500

Well the local news in that city.

As for economics, $500 is $500
    Do you really think $500 is Wilson's standard performance take? Or perhaps guaranteed minimum? I just wonder about the venue's expenses. It's possible in these little, local venues to have volunteer ushers, and the venue may evade union requirements. But still, there are utilities, advertising expense, musicians [[I'll assume - hopefully of better quality than those in last year's ditch concert) and the beloved insurance requirements. My accounting background REALLY would love to see a statement of cost flows after the final ticket sales are known. Tix have been on sale since May 13th, and they are advertising free parking as a perk. TBC.

I’m sure things are a lot tougher than many people think

I bet there has never ever been a cross word exchanged between them Roberta lololololol!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I bet there has never ever been a cross word exchanged between them Roberta lololololol!
    The perfect match my dear Bluebrock. xxxx

Here is the the television promo for Mary's concert next month in Cranston, RI :

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Here is the the television promo for Mary's concert next month in Cranston, RI :

She really shouldn’t sing so many Diana Ross and the Supremes songs. She doesn’t sound good on “Back in my arms again” at all. IMO.
    Last edited by vgalindo; 07-20-2019 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    She really shouldn’t sing so many Diana Ross and the Supremes songs. She doesn’t sound good on “Back in my arms again” at all. IMO.
    Well it dont really matter anymore cause the shows been canceled/postponed.

Well it dont really matter anymore cause the shows been canceled/postponed.
    Poor ticket sales i presume?

... and a shock to all. This is the event to which about 25 tickets had been 'sold'. Wilson bills herself as a 'businesswoman'. Hmmm ...

No idea. My friend Dana from Providence was buying tickets to Darlene Loves holiday show and the box office guy said Marys show was postponed canceled. He said it wasnt likely to be reschuldule because they had only sold about 45 seats. Darlenes show isnt selling real well either but Dana got good seats for Darlene and good tickets for Englebert Humperdink.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    ... and a shock to all. This is the event to which about 25 tickets had been 'sold'. Wilson bills herself as a 'businesswoman'. Hmmm ...
    Apparently she needs to do even more interviews since she is in such high demand.

No idea. My friend Dana from Providence was buying tickets to Darlene Loves holiday show and the box office guy said Marys show was postponed canceled. He said it wasnt likely to be reschuldule because they had only sold about 45 seats. Darlenes show isnt selling real well either but Dana got good seats for Darlene and good tickets for Englebert Humperdink.
    This announcement is posted on the website.

BREAKING NEWS!!!
    Due to unforeseen circumstances, the Mary Wilson date has been postponed. We will be contacting ticket buyers with more information.
    Please call the box office at 401-467-7275 if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    This announcement is posted on the website.

BREAKING NEWS!!!
    Due to unforeseen circumstances, the Mary Wilson date has been postponed. We will be contacting ticket buyers with more information.
    Please call the box office at 401-467-7275 if you have any questions.
    Yes. my real good friend Dana told me this last night.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Apparently she needs to do even more interviews since she is in such high demand.
    Yes. THAT must be the ... 'unforeseen circumstance'. With America's greatest dealmaker / businessperson ever having ascended to the White House perhaps Poor Mary is in great demand for her business acumen.

Yes. my real good friend Dana told me this last night.
    At least the theatre is kind by referring to 'unforeseen circumstances'. I hope you are well on this Sunday evening, Ms. Roberta, and finding solace in this terrible time.