[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 44 of 44
  1. #1

    Another Diana Ross Dream Producer Thread...Prince?

    When we were talking possible Diana producers sometime ago, it never occurred to me to wonder what if Prince had an interest in producing Diana, would she have gone for it? Would this have been a good match? Can you hear Diana singing over the "Sugar Walls" track (because she definitely wouldn't have sung those lyrics)? How about "Glamorous Life"? "Manic Monday"? "Yo Mister"? Just kidding on the last one. Thoughts?

  2. #2
    i don't hear this one. just like i don't hear her working well with Rick James. their approach to music wasn't in her sound or making.

    Chic worked because they still had an elegance to their sound. Watch their videos - they're playing Le Freak and Good Times in suits and sexy dresses. Their disco sound was also quite glam

    what about David Bowie?

  3. #3
    It might have been a nice pairing. I really liked the work Prince did with Patti LaBelle and especially Mavis Staples where he wrote compositions based on letters she had written to him about her life. If he could have done the same with Diana, they could have come with something special.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    When we were talking possible Diana producers sometime ago, it never occurred to me to wonder what if Prince had an interest in producing Diana, would she have gone for it? Would this have been a good match? Can you hear Diana singing over the "Sugar Walls" track (because she definitely wouldn't have sung those lyrics)? How about "Glamorous Life"? "Manic Monday"? "Yo Mister"? Just kidding on the last one. Thoughts?
    Not a chance! The first time Prince met Diana Ross, she was with Gene Simmons. They laughed at him and mocked him because he did not talk much. Later on, Miss Ross approached Prince about her managing him. His response was a flat out NO! So I cannot see Prince having much to do with her at all.
    Last edited by marv2; 07-11-2019 at 02:09 PM.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Not a chance! The first time Prince met Diana Ross, she was with Gene Simmons. They laughed at him and mocked him because he did not talk much. Later on, Miss Ross approached Prince about her managing him. His response was a flat out NO! So I cannot Prince having much to do with her at all.
    That was the first time that she met him? On an Ellen DeGeneres Show, Tracee tells of meeting Prince when she was twelve years old and her mom, Diana, took her to his concert at MSG.

    Tracee was excited for the concert itself, but she wasn’t prepared for the excitement — or sights — she encountered after the show.

    “We went backstage after [the concert] and I was with my Mom, and he was sort of mingling and talking to everybody and he came over and talked to us,” she said. “He went to walk away, and he turned around and he was wearing chaps with nothing else underneath and his just bare bottom was exposed. And I was like, ‘Woo, my God!’ As a child, I was like, ‘That is disgusting!’ and I was like, ‘Mom, that is so gross,’ and she goes, ‘No. That’s cool.'”

    Here is link to my source of Diana Ross as a fan of Prince

    https://ew.com/article/2016/04/26/pr...len-degeneres/

    Do you have a link to your source of Diana's mockery of Prince?
    Last edited by milven; 07-11-2019 at 01:21 PM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    That was the first time that she met him? On an Ellen DeGeneres Show, Tracee tells of meeting Prince when she was twelve years old and her mom, Diana, took her to his concert at MSG.

    Tracee was excited for the concert itself, but she wasn’t prepared for the excitement — or sights — she encountered after the show.

    “We went backstage after [the concert] and I was with my Mom, and he was sort of mingling and talking to everybody and he came over and talked to us,” she said. “He went to walk away, and he turned around and he was wearing chaps with nothing else underneath and his just bare bottom was exposed. And I was like, ‘Woo, my God!’ As a child, I was like, ‘That is disgusting!’ and I was like, ‘Mom, that is so gross,’ and she goes, ‘No. That’s cool.'”

    Here is link to my source of Diana Ross as a fan of Prince

    https://ew.com/article/2016/04/26/pr...len-degeneres/

    Do you have a link to your source of Diana's mockery of Prince?
    This is not how I found out about what I said earlier, but since you need some kind of link.....Oh and they don't mention no Tracey or MSG. He was playing in a club when she first met him. I've met him three times and he was a great guy, very down to Earth:

    https://www.iloveoldschoolmusic.com/...th-diana-ross/
    Last edited by marv2; 07-11-2019 at 05:38 PM.

  7. #7
    Most of Marvís desires get debunked

    Wonder what he really has to say about Jennifer Hudson and Diana!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Most of Marv’s desires get debunked

    Wonder what he really has to say about Jennifer Hudson and Diana!
    Are we really interested in his opinions? He is just trolling again. Luke needs to take him in hand ha ha ha.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i don't hear this one. just like i don't hear her working well with Rick James. their approach to music wasn't in her sound or making.

    Chic worked because they still had an elegance to their sound. Watch their videos - they're playing Le Freak and Good Times in suits and sexy dresses. Their disco sound was also quite glam

    what about David Bowie?
    No to Bowie.

    I can't hear Ross on the stuff Rick did for himself, like "Give It to Me" or "Bustin Out". But the stuff he did for Teena I think with some slight tinkering would've fit her well. For that matter, the stuff Teena produced for herself would've been good too.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This is not how I found out about what I said earlier, but since you need some kind of link.....Oh and they don't mention no Tracey or MSG. He's playing in club when she first met him. I've met him three times and he was a great guy, very down to Earth:

    https://www.iloveoldschoolmusic.com/...th-diana-ross/
    I read this story when I was looking for info about Ross and Prince. It doesn't say anything about Prince being mocked or laughed at.

  11. #11
    i think Bowie 80s might have worked. his Let's Dance work was co-produced with Niles Rogers of Chic. and was released right around the time Diana released Ross 83. I like the Steely Dan tracks on that album but they're not exceptional. perhaps a Rodgers-Bowie production team might have given the set a bit more excitement and also produced her vocals with a bit more energy and power.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i think Bowie 80s might have worked. his Let's Dance work was co-produced with Niles Rogers of Chic. and was released right around the time Diana released Ross 83. I like the Steely Dan tracks on that album but they're not exceptional. perhaps a Rodgers-Bowie production team might have given the set a bit more excitement and also produced her vocals with a bit more energy and power.
    You're right, not a bad idea.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This is not how I found out about what I said earlier, but since you need some kind of link.....Oh and they don't mention no Tracey or MSG. He's playing in club when she first met him. I've met him three times and he was a great guy, very down to Earth:

    https://www.iloveoldschoolmusic.com/...th-diana-ross/
    We need the link where Diana and Gene Simmons mocked OPrince. Cant you just provide that link Luke?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    You're right, not a bad idea.
    i think it might have led to some hot tracks. She was definitely trying to tap more into pop music vs R&B during the 80s. the combo of Bowie and Rodgers might have helped her straddle that line. synthesizer-heavy tunes. but i don't see them producing a mega-ballad, which was her signature.

    with the arrival of Whitney, i'm not sure what Diana could have done. Whitney basically took Diana's former producer (masser) and took it to the next level.

    Wonder if he was as crazy with Whitney during the recording process as he supposedly was with Diana? now THAT would be some entertaining shit to watch!!! lolol

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This is not how I found out about what I said earlier, but since you need some kind of link.....Oh and they don't mention no Tracey or MSG. He's playing in club when she first met him. I've met him three times and he was a great guy, very down to Earth:

    https://www.iloveoldschoolmusic.com/...th-diana-ross/
    Where is it stated she mocked him?

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    No to Bowie.

    I can't hear Ross on the stuff Rick did for himself, like "Give It to Me" or "Bustin Out". But the stuff he did for Teena I think with some slight tinkering would've fit her well. For that matter, the stuff Teena produced for herself would've been good too.
    I would have loved to hear Diana written and produced by Teena Marie more than by Rick James and maybe even Prince.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I read this story when I was looking for info about Ross and Prince. It doesn't say anything about Prince being mocked or laughed at.
    They did though which turned Prince off to them from then on.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They did though which turned Prince off to them from then on.
    No links to the mockery of Prince by Diana, but you say it happened. I presume you know it first hand and that Prince told you during one of the three times you talked to him person to person. Or is it that you got second or third or fourth hand info from someone and then publicly posted it here as truth. Sarah would classify your story as fake news


  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They did though which turned Prince off to them from then on.
    Marv/Luke. Are we just expected to take your word for this apparent mocking incident? Please provide your source, or if you are unable to do so please stop spreading unpleasant gossip.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They did though which turned Prince off to them from then on.
    This book may help :

    Bornstein, R. F., Scanlon, M. A., & Beardslee, L. A. (1989). The psychodynamics of paranoia: Anality, projection and suspiciousness. Journal of Social Behavior & Personality, 4(3), 275-284.

    Abstract :
    Projection is a form of defense in which unwanted feelings are displaced onto another person, where they then appear as a threat from the external world. A common form of projection occurs when an individual, threatened by his own angry feelings, accuses another of harbouring hostile thoughts.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Most of Marv’s desires get debunked

    Wonder what he really has to say about Jennifer Hudson and Diana!
    Gotta TRY to have some empathy; Diana has eclipsed the other Supreme in what was to be the other's year of triumph.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I would have loved to hear Diana written and produced by Teena Marie more than by Rick James and maybe even Prince.
    Now Diana produced by Lady T - THAT coulda been good!

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Now Diana produced by Lady T - THAT coulda been good!
    Oh yes indeed! Lady T was such a musical genius. She would have written songs perfectly suited to Diana's strengths. We could have had an Ashford and Simpson quality of album had this been allowed to happen.

  24. #24
    Ross & Bowie, no way.
    Ross & Sheeran, could be good.
    Ross & Harris, would work.
    Ross & Black Keys, no chance.
    Ross & Barlow, yes.

  25. #25
    After she did her Barry Gibb album, rumours was that the next album would be produced by Prince.

  26. #26
    Ross & Prince - never would have worked.

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Oh yes indeed! Lady T was such a musical genius. She would have written songs perfectly suited to Diana's strengths. We could have had an Ashford and Simpson quality of album had this been allowed to happen.
    Had it ever been proposed?

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Had it ever been proposed?
    Not to my knowledge. I recall Teena saying in an interview that she would love to work with Diana, but i don't think it was ever seriously considered. A pity.

  29. #29
    Rick James was apparently supposed to produce an album for Diana in the late 70s...most of the tracks that were written for Diana ended up on Teena Maries first album.

  30. #30
    Did I imagine it but I'm sure there a was a projected track list for her 'lost' Rick James album?

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i think it might have led to some hot tracks. She was definitely trying to tap more into pop music vs R&B during the 80s. the combo of Bowie and Rodgers might have helped her straddle that line. synthesizer-heavy tunes. but i don't see them producing a mega-ballad, which was her signature.

    with the arrival of Whitney, i'm not sure what Diana could have done. Whitney basically took Diana's former producer (masser) and took it to the next level.

    Wonder if he was as crazy with Whitney during the recording process as he supposedly was with Diana? now THAT would be some entertaining shit to watch!!! lolol
    Perhaps a big mistake of Diana's was ditching Masser. Not only did he obviously do big things with Whitney but he gave Natalie Cole "Miss You Like Crazy" in the late 80s and that song was big.

    What about Diane Warren? I'm a big fan of her compositions. I think she may have been a great fit for Diana in the mid to late 80s.

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Perhaps a big mistake of Diana's was ditching Masser. Not only did he obviously do big things with Whitney but he gave Natalie Cole "Miss You Like Crazy" in the late 80s and that song was big.

    What about Diane Warren? I'm a big fan of her compositions. I think she may have been a great fit for Diana in the mid to late 80s.
    She couldn't get along with Michael Masser. Ever wonder why Richard Perry never produced anything for her again?

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Perhaps a big mistake of Diana's was ditching Masser. Not only did he obviously do big things with Whitney but he gave Natalie Cole "Miss You Like Crazy" in the late 80s and that song was big.

    What about Diane Warren? I'm a big fan of her compositions. I think she may have been a great fit for Diana in the mid to late 80s.
    Diana did do Warren's Heart Don't Change My Mind on FBTP, and Love is All That Matters and Someone That You Loved Before on EDIAND. All were excellent vocal performances.
    One of my favorite Masser songs is Someone That I Used To Love, which was meant for Bette Midler and eventually recorded by Natalie Cole. I can imagine Diana on it.

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She couldn't get along with Michael Masser. Ever wonder why Richard Perry never produced anything for her again?
    I'm guessing Mr Perry caught Diana mocking him too !!!

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She couldn't get along with Michael Masser. Ever wonder why Richard Perry never produced anything for her again?
    And yet she spoke real, lovingly about Mr Masser when he passed Luke.

    https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/...ichael-masser/

    And Mr Masser wrote this about Miss Ross in the liner notes to the 2003 CD reissue of To Love Again.

    “I’m the luckiest guy in the world to have known and worked with Diana.”

    Please post a link where Mr Masser says Diana didnt get along with him.

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She couldn't get along with Michael Masser. Ever wonder why Richard Perry never produced anything for her again?
    Well Marv you should really give it up! Lol
    Richard Perry did produce her again! He produced this hit for her and Julio in 1984.
    https://youtu.be/kDLaQbIYRCM
    Last edited by vgalindo; 07-12-2019 at 08:35 PM.

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She couldn't get along with Michael Masser. Ever wonder why Richard Perry never produced anything for her again?
    He also remixed this song for her ! Lol
    https://youtu.be/iv9-fdIsxp8

  38. #38
    My goodness. #laughingstock(s) consume more of his/it's/their lives researching Diana Ross than fans do!

  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    He also remixed this song for her ! Lol
    https://youtu.be/iv9-fdIsxp8
    Nice remix of an under-rated song. I love it!

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Diana did do Warren's Heart Don't Change My Mind on FBTP, and Love is All That Matters and Someone That You Loved Before on EDIAND. All were excellent vocal performances.
    One of my favorite Masser songs is Someone That I Used To Love, which was meant for Bette Midler and eventually recorded by Natalie Cole. I can imagine Diana on it.
    Lovely song.
    Barbra Streisand also did a nice version of Someone That I Used To Love. Lovely song.

  41. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    My goodness. #laughingstock(s) consume more of his/it's/their lives researching Diana Ross than fans do!
    Ain't that the truth.

  42. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    We need the link where Diana and Gene Simmons mocked OPrince. Cant you just provide that link Luke?
    I think we shall be waiting a long time for this link Ms Roberta, but we shall keep reminding Marv/Luke. It promises to be fascinating.

  43. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She couldn't get along with Michael Masser. Ever wonder why Richard Perry never produced anything for her again?
    You did it again
    This reading may even help you with practical things like finding someone, a therapist, a social friend and get rid of this spiral of negativity


    Bornstein, Scanlon, & Beardslee, L. A. (1989). The psychodynamics of paranoia: Anality, projection and suspiciousness. Journal of Social Behavior & Personality
    Abstract :
    Projection is a form of defense in which unwanted feelings are displaced onto another person, where they then appear as a threat from the external world. A common form of projection occurs when an individual, threatened by his own angry feelings, accuses another of harbouring hostile thoughts.
    Last edited by Albator; 07-13-2019 at 03:05 AM.

  44. #44
    Diana would've worked with RJ if Motown allowed him carte blanche. Apparently BG was cautious of someone like RJ working with Diana. I think Sucker For Your Love was written in 1978.

    She may have been "The Queen" but Motown still tried to control her artistic ambitions, which is why she had Ashford and Simpson on "The Boss" and BG refused to overlook the album as EP.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.