[REMOVE ADS]

"Must Be the Music"- movie soundtracks

Some film releases are made on the strength of the soundtrack. Others are enhanced. Still others, the music is the only redeeming quality!
    Actually, at times, it can mean the difference in becoming a blockbuster or sinking at the box office.

An example, of the second scenario is The Guardian of the Galaxy 1st.release.

Your turn.

Seriously? The soundtrack to O Brother, Where Art Thou? made me a bluegrass fan. I listened to it several times a day for weeks. And since we dusted off the American Graffiti vs Cooley High thread, both of those movies had dynamic soundtracks. Finally [[for now because I could do this all day) the Forrest Gump soundtrack is the single greatest collection of '60s music for a movie in history. Prove me wrong.

Oh, by the way. Streets of Fire is an underrated gem. The only hit on its soundtrack was Dan Hartman's I Could Dream About You but the movie was full of great music through and through. A great assortment of '80s sounds if not not '80s blockbusters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Seriously? The soundtrack to O Brother, Where Art Thou? made me a bluegrass fan. I listened to it several times a day for weeks. And since we dusted off the American Graffiti vs Cooley High thread, both of those movies had dynamic soundtracks. Finally [[for now because I could do this all day) the Forrest Gump soundtrack is the single greatest collection of '60s music for a movie in history. Prove me wrong.
    You right!!! As usual, Jer. On all points.

Oh, by the way. Streets of Fire is an underrated gem. The only hit on its soundtrack was Dan Hartman's I Could Dream About You but the movie was full of great music through and through. A great assortment of '80s sounds if not not '80s blockbusters.
    Yes! I still rock out to Dan Hartman! On my playlist right now.

Another great one for me is from Valley Girl. It was a very low budget movie that actually had a good story, remarkable acting and a soundtrack that included new wave music when it was still being ignored by a lot of other mainstream projects. The best songs were those that were actually the punk that was just edging onto the pop charts back then. Josey Cotton and the Plimsouls were the highlights and I still turn it up when their scenes come on. The only hits from the soundtrack were those that weren't recorded for the movie [[Melt With You by Modern English and Men At Work's Who Can It Be Now), but Johnny, Are You Queer and A Million Miles Away broke genre walls for me and allowed me to listen to music outside my comfort zone.

On another note: I'm amazed that until high school, the only music I listened to was soul/funk/R&B. I was really a snob about it too. Then, one of my best friends introduced me to jazz against my will and I'm now a jazz snob. Other classmates played Queen and Blondie and the Cars in the background of art class and I became a fan of new wave. My cousin Tony got bused to a nearly all-white school and started playing AC/DC when I visited and although it took awhile, I'm a fan of some metal. And it took me a decade to start buying hip hop.

The only kind of music that I don't care for now is modern pop/top 40, which is too sterile, electronic and programmed for my tastes. A great movie soundtrack can absolutely put it over the top.

Beverly Hills Cop was a top 10 soundtrack. Glenn Frey, Pointer Sisters, the System and Patti LaBelle all had great songs on it. And don't forget this one:

Another great one for me is from Valley Girl. It was a very low budget movie that actually had a good story, remarkable acting and a soundtrack that included new wave music when it was still being ignored by a lot of other mainstream projects. The best songs were those that were actually the punk that was just edging onto the pop charts back then. Josey Cotton and the Plimsouls were the highlights and I still turn it up when their scenes come on. The only hits from the soundtrack were those that weren't recorded for the movie [[Melt With You by Modern English and Men At Work's Who Can It Be Now), but Johnny, Are You Queer and A Million Miles Away broke genre walls for me and allowed me to listen to music outside my comfort zone.

On another note: I'm amazed that until high school, the only music I listened to was soul/funk/R&B. I was really a snob about it too. Then, one of my best friends introduced me to jazz against my will and I'm now a jazz snob. Other classmates played Queen and Blondie and the Cars in the background of art class and I became a fan of new wave. My cousin Tony got bused to a nearly all-white school and started playing AC/DC when I visited and although it took awhile, I'm a fan of some metal. And it took me a decade to start buying hip hop.

The only kind of music that I don't care for now is modern pop/top 40, which is too sterile, electronic and programmed for my tastes. A great movie soundtrack can absolutely put it over the top.
    Love Men at Work! Used to always confuse them with, equally good, Men Without Hats! Later, Men at Large [[r &b duo).

Beverly Hills Cop was a top 10 soundtrack. Glenn Frey, Pointer Sisters, the System and Patti LaBelle all had great songs on it. And don't forget this one:
    Yes, indeedy! Loved them all. Especially Axel F, because of the pivotal scene it enhanced with Eddie scoping out the house!

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Love Men at Work! Used to always confuse them with, equally good, Men Without Hats! Later, Men at Large [[r &b duo).
    I was a fan as well. It amazed me to find out that they were a bunch of guys who met at open nights in an Australian pub who managed to play good music with each other. But it turns out that since they were never friends, they didn't have a common bond and didn't really like each other. Usually, bands break up after successful efforts because of jealousy or some change in their relationship's dynamic. These guys apparently broke up because they never really liked each other to begin with. Wonder if they're happy now?

I was a fan as well. It amazed me to find out that they were a bunch of guys who met at open nights in an Australian pub who managed to play good music with each other. But it turns out that since they were never friends, they didn't have a common bond and didn't really like each other. Usually, bands break up after successful efforts because of jealousy or some change in their relationship's dynamic. These guys apparently broke up because they never really liked each other to begin with. Wonder if they're happy now?
    Good point, Jer. Just read about David Lee Roth's interview about Van Halen. Despite all their success [[like " Jump")" We always hated each other!"
    I'm starting to believe the same is true of NE. Think about it, all their successes: Bell Biv Devoe, Bobby & Johnny's star-making solo careers, and now Rbrm. And yet, that just can't seem to get a workable NE back together. Hmm

Good point, Jer. Just read about David Lee Roth's interview about Van Halen. Despite all their success [[like " Jump")" We always hated each other!"
    I'm starting to believe the same is true of NE. Think about it, all their successes: Bell Biv Devoe, Bobby & Johnny's star-making solo careers, and now Rbrm. And yet, that just can't seem to get a workable NE back together. Hmm
    Personal dynamics are amazing. People go from being best friends to bitter enemies when any combination of drugs/alcohol, money, sex or ego are introduced to the relationship. It's an age-old story in the music industry.

I'd love to hear the reason why Charlie and Ronnie Wilson are at loggerheads over the use of the Gap Band's name. Charlie clearly has no intention of using it again. Then, Mark Adam Wood snuck and bought the rights to Lakeside's name against the best interest of his childhood friends and keeps them from booking with it.

Makes me wonder how the Tops, Whispers, Eddie LeVert and Walter Williams, and [[four members of) the Spinners were able to stand being with each other for over four decades.

I love the soundtrack of-lovejones.

Jungle Fever [[Spike Lee Joint) - Stevie

For my taste the top 3 movie soundtracks would have to be Curtis Mayfield's Superfly,
    Isaac Hayes' Shaft and Marvin Gaye's Trouble Man. They're cohesive and the music still
    inspires. EWF was involved with two films albeit different group configurations. The first
    scored Melvin Van Peebles' Sweet Sweetback and the second Sig Shore's That The Way of
    The World. Parliament has the distinction of producing a soundtrack for a animated film
    that was reportedly pulled before national release, The Motor Booty Affair. Lastly, though
    they remain one my all time favorite bands, The Ohio Players Mr Mean was what I think of as the epic soundtrack fail. Only the track Good Luck Charm struck me when it came
    out and still rotates in my playlist to this day...

The song "Ben" was released ahead of the film. It made us as kids want to see the film. Turned out that the song was much better than the film overall.

LOL. That was a sequel to Willard. Ben was the first movie that I saw by myself. Mom dropped me off downtown at the RKO Palace and picked me up promptly when the movie ended. I was 10 years old. No way she'd do that if I was a kid in 2019.

I guess I'm really old school in this neck of the woods. I lean towards great movie
    sound tracks of another era...
    The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, Streetcar Named Desire
    and To Kill a Mockingbird.

All the great ones Quincy "Q" Jones scored.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    I guess I'm really old school in this neck of the woods. I lean towards great movie
    sound tracks of another era...
    The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, Streetcar Named Desire
    and To Kill a Mockingbird.
    I am not familiar with any. But I do love the scores of John Williams. I have several of his albums. Superman, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, Jurrassic Park and Jaws are the beautiful product of a genius in his field creating art at the highest level. Those soundtracks were as good as the movies and I'd argue one of the reasons the movies were great.

[QUOTE=Jerry Oz;529063]I am not familiar with any. But I do love the scores of John Williams. I have several of his albums. Superman, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, Jurrassic Park and Jaws are the beautiful product of a genius in his field creating art at the highest level. Those soundtracks were as good as the movies and I'd argue one of the reasons the movies were great.[/QUOTE

Q has done movie and tv scores:
    The Italian Job [[original, not remake)
    In the Heat of the Night
    Ironside
    Sanford and Son
    Just a taste of the many he's done!

I am not familiar with any. But I do love the scores of John Williams. I have several of his albums. Superman, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, Jurrassic Park and Jaws are the beautiful product of a genius in his field creating art at the highest level. Those soundtracks were as good as the movies and I'd argue one of the reasons the movies were great.
    Jerry, You can go to youtube. Check out the music soundtrack for
    Ghost and Mrs. Muir by the wonderful Bernard Herrmann. Very haunting.
    Better yet, see the movie. Also like the soundtrack to Who's Afraid of
    Virginia Wolfe. Simple yet moving. Jaws soundtrack still creeps me out!
    I was living in Miami when the movie came out. I was going down to the
    Keys every week-end snorkeling. THEN...I saw the movie. I've never
    gone back in the ocean again! Every time I see a body of water...I
    hear that music! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Jerry, You can go to youtube. Check out the music soundtrack for
    Ghost and Mrs. Muir by the wonderful Bernard Herrmann. Very haunting.
    Better yet, see the movie. Also like the soundtrack to Who's Afraid of
    Virginia Wolfe. Simple yet moving. Jaws soundtrack still creeps me out!
    I was living in Miami when the movie came out. I was going down to the
    Keys every week-end snorkeling. THEN...I saw the movie. I've never
    gone back in the ocean again! Every time I see a body of water...I
    hear that music! LOL
    I liked "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir", the film and the TV series.

How in the world has nobody mentioned The Graduate yet? All time classic soundtrack. Also, Midnight Cowboy and Play Misty For Me.

Duke Ellington scored the bejesus out of Anatomy of a Murder. It's an example of a fine film made even stronger by a masterful soundtrack.

I believe Q scored "Dial M for Murder" too.

Men At Work were the bomb, for sure! And ditto to the rest of your observations, Jer.

Mud Bound.

Brother, Where Art Thou?

One of the most beautiful movie themes ever.

And I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Blues Brothers soundtrack. It might be polarizing [[two white guys covering R&B/blues classics) for some, but they were truly respectful and had some of my favorite session men backing them so that's enough for me.

And I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Blues Brothers soundtrack. It might be polarizing [[two white guys covering R&B/blues classics) for some, but they were truly respectful and had some of my favorite session men backing them so that's enough for me.
    Ditto. Dan Akroyd/John Belushi basically had a whole other career w/BB! Didn't it start on SNL?

Ditto. Dan Akroyd/John Belushi basically had a whole other career w/BB! Didn't it start on SNL?
    Yep. It was a joke that wound up being one of the few successful SNL off-tube franchises. Belushi returned to the show [[which Aykroyd was still on) to perform. I don't know if the movie was already in the works, but take a look at the band with Duck Dunn and Steve Cropper: