[REMOVE ADS]

How much would you pay for their debut RED SITTING ON STOOL album cover?

Someone on eBay is selling a copy of MEET THE SUPREMES with the original cover for $2,999. That's insane. The album wasn't even their best.
    Last edited by Soulmusic4life; 07-09-2019 at 12:29 PM.

The first original was always very hard to come by.

I have one of these - but not one of the first original issues.

I thought a lot of these prices had fallen as the years have gone by.

I would not pay that price.

yeah with the advent of ebay, you have much more access to the rare memorabilia. not to say that it wouldn't be priced higher than, say, A Go Go or Cream of the Crop. but prior to the internet, it was really hard to find these. now anyone can connect with anyone

About 22 years ago, I paid $125 for my second copy of the original "Meet the Supremes" album.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulmusic4life View Post
    I have two of the original copies and the one with the faces on the cover from 1965.

$5.00. Really.

I have the 1965 cover. Much more pleasing to the eye.

There is absolutely no reason for anyone to pay such an exorbitant amount unless you're a multi-millionaire and throwing away a couple thousand doesn't really matter to you in the grand scheme of things.

I bought an original Canadian pressing of the red stools cover last year. I am not sure if the Canadian version is worth less than the US version, but I ended up paying $58. I would say it was in "good" condition, with some wear on the sleeve and a bunch of wear and scuffs on the record itself, which played with some surface noise, but still listenable and surprisingly sounded better than some of the 50+ year old vinyls I own. Mine also had a small mailing label from the original owner, stuck to the cover, but it meant getting it for a much cheaper price...and being a Canadian Supremes fan, having this version of the album makes me quite happy. I had searched for an original Meet the Supremes vinyl on Ebay on a regular basis since 2002, and now my hunt is over.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    There is absolutely no reason for anyone to pay such an exorbitant amount unless you're a multi-millionaire and throwing away a couple thousand doesn't really matter to you in the grand scheme of things.

I bought an original Canadian pressing of the red stools cover last year. I am not sure if the Canadian version is worth less than the US version, but I ended up paying $58. I would say it was in "good" condition, with some wear on the sleeve and a bunch of wear and scuffs on the record itself, which played with some surface noise, but still listenable and surprisingly sounded better than some of the 50+ year old vinyls I own. Mine also had a small mailing label from the original owner, stuck to the cover, but it meant getting it for a much cheaper price...and being a Canadian Supremes fan, having this version of the album makes me quite happy. I had searched for an original Meet the Supremes vinyl on Ebay on a regular basis since 2002, and now my hunt is over.
    Carlo, do you remember "Sam the Record Man" that use to be on Yonge Street? I use to get my records from there when I was in town.

Of course, Marv Unfortunately Sam the Record Man has been gone for quite some time now. It has been gone for at least a decade. They kept the iconic signs though and moved them to Dundas Square. There is still one Sam the Record Man store remaining, which is not nearly the same size as the superstore we had in Toronto. It is located in Belleville, closer to Ottawa. The HMV Superstore on Yonge also closed down a few years ago and the huge space has sadly remained vacant. There are still some independent record stores in our city, scattered here and there, but nothing close to the size of Sam's and HMV. I loved both of those stores and I am still grieving the loss

There are a couple more on eBay that are priced lower but I am not sure it is considered as rare as it use to be. I do have 2 copies of it but I am not sure if they are considered unique and rare if still in shrink wrap and never played or if signed by the original Supremes. I don't remember the value ever being three thousand dollars so I don't know how that is ever evaluated.

It pops up at record shows here in the south usually for $100-$200. I'll buy one eventually if I can find one without ring wear marring the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Of course, Marv Unfortunately Sam the Record Man has been gone for quite some time now. It has been gone for at least a decade. They kept the iconic signs though and moved them to Dundas Square. There is still one Sam the Record Man store remaining, which is not nearly the same size as the superstore we had in Toronto. It is located in Belleville, closer to Ottawa. The HMV Superstore on Yonge also closed down a few years ago and the huge space has sadly remained vacant. There are still some independent record stores in our city, scattered here and there, but nothing close to the size of Sam's and HMV. I loved both of those stores and I am still grieving the loss
    Sam the Record Man was my place! I'd buy a bunch of albums there just before driving back to Detroit. By the time I got down the 401, they'd be all under the seat and all over the backseat of my car! L OL! The good old days!

I had the 80's reissue...that was fine enough for me! I think its overall a horrible LP. I like about 4 songs on it..I also like the 2nd cover better....and in my day when I became a fan in '68 the white cover LP was also nowhere to be found new - along with Liverpool, CW&P and Sam Cooke...my local stores just never had them.. the 80's reissues forced a lot of original copies to come down in price. Not everyone is a die hard collector and was willing to pay high $$$ for orig. Motown issues when just having the reissue record for $3.69 was an option. Also, once CDS came along, there was a flood of orig. LPS going to 2nd hand shops. I wanted both Mary Wells and Mavelettes ON STAGE LP's...at the right moment I got very enjoyable copies for $12 on Ebay vs. minimum $60 in the OOP shops....I also have the very rare identical label reissue of the Come and Get These Memories LP...it is on Gordy and has the standard slightly laminated thin cover vs. the thick cardboard orig. I am not sure if it is a boot, or a withdrawn very limited Motown mid 80's reissue

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I had the 80's reissue...that was fine enough for me! I think its overall a horrible LP. I like about 4 songs on it..I also like the 2nd cover better....and in my day when I became a fan in '68 the white cover LP was also nowhere to be found new - along with Liverpool, CW&P and Sam Cooke...my local stores just never had them.. the 80's reissues forced a lot of original copies to come down in price. Not everyone is a die hard collector and was willing to pay high $$$ for orig. Motown issues when just having the reissue record for $3.69 was an option. Also, once CDS came along, there was a flood of orig. LPS going to 2nd hand shops. I wanted both Mary Wells and Mavelettes ON STAGE LP's...at the right moment I got very enjoyable copies for $12 on Ebay vs. minimum $60 in the OOP shops....I also have the very rare identical label reissue of the Come and Get These Memories LP...it is on Gordy and has the standard slightly laminated thin cover vs. the thick cardboard orig. I am not sure if it is a boot, or a withdrawn very limited Motown mid 80's reissue
    Gman, I remember seeing some of these now collectable albums thrown out in the trash in alleys and on the curbs in Detroit and Toledo over the years.

The thrift store over here is pretty good,i might find it for a dollar,hehe.

The "stools cover" album still sells pretty well in my opinion. I have 2 copies in my collection, but am still seeking a high grade example. Probably 95% of my Motown LP's are in the original shrink, one of my personal requirements to add them to my collection as normally shrink copies are the best condition covers available. At any rate, general sales on Ebay the last few years sees this album in nice condition sell for an average of $150 to $300, with some selling higher occasionally. I've seen acceptable copies sell for under $100 too. Would I pay $3K for a copy in the original shrink? Hell no, lol, it's a ridiculous asking price!! I could personally though see a mint copy in the original shrink selling in the $500 range. I've seen nice copies sell for near that price at the Ann Arbor Record Show, but that show attracts some serious Motown collectors regularly and it's relatively close to Detroit.

Bottom line, no matter what you collect, Ebay brought the reality to light of what was previously considered very rare or super hard to find, was really not as rare as we once thought. There was plenty of this stuff sitting in people's homes and attics all over the U.S., and the internet brought it into your living room. No more scouring flea markets and record shops across the country, you want one, you could probably find one on Ebay.
    Darin

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    The "stools cover" album still sells pretty well in my opinion. I have 2 copies in my collection, but am still seeking a high grade example. Probably 95% of my Motown LP's are in the original shrink, one of my personal requirements to add them to my collection as normally shrink copies are the best condition covers available. At any rate, general sales on Ebay the last few years sees this album in nice condition sell for an average of $150 to $300, with some selling higher occasionally. I've seen acceptable copies sell for under $100 too. Would I pay $3K for a copy in the original shrink? Hell no, lol, it's a ridiculous asking price!! I could personally though see a mint copy in the original shrink selling in the $500 range. I've seen nice copies sell for near that price at the Ann Arbor Record Show, but that show attracts some serious Motown collectors regularly and it's relatively close to Detroit.

Bottom line, no matter what you collect, Ebay brought the reality to light of what was previously considered very rare or super hard to find, was really not as rare as we once thought. There was plenty of this stuff sitting in people's homes and attics all over the U.S., and the internet brought it into your living room. No more scouring flea markets and record shops across the country, you want one, you could probably find one on Ebay.
    Darin
    I've been to the record show in Ann Arbor and also the Glass City Record Show in Toledo. Don't know if they still have them these days.

I go regularly to the Ann Arbor show Marv. It's held every 4 months at Weber's Inn and is rated in the top 10 record shows in the world now evidently, at least that's what the promoter's wife told me a few months ago. I've picked up nice "in house" Motown memorabilia there over the years, and made good contacts with Detroit dealers that get the good stuff, lol. I do believe the Toledo show is still going, although I've never been to it.

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    I go regularly to the Ann Arbor show Marv. It's held every 4 months at Weber's Inn and is rated in the top 10 record shows in the world now evidently, at least that's what the promoter's wife told me a few months ago. I've picked up nice "in house" Motown memorabilia there over the years, and made good contacts with Detroit dealers that get the good stuff, lol. I do believe the Toledo show is still going, although I've never been to it.
    DW that is so good to hear. I would meet some of the nicest people at those shows. I am in New York now and have only been to a few shows since you can find many classic albums at the Sunday morning flea markets in Manhattan. One show I did attend was at the Sheraton but that was years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulmusic4life View Post
    Someone on eBay is selling a copy of MEET THE SUPREMES with the original cover for $2,999. That's insane. The album wasn't even their best.
    Early singles, amusing, but none of them were hits, in the sense of "Where Did Our Love Go" and afterwards; thus were nicknamed "No Hit Supremes" back around that album's day.

I'd say ten-twelve dollars would be fair enough, decent, very good +, non-ratty playing album, if found in an Antique Mall, mostly basing it on oldness, earlier than the hit albums, as I've paid less on the hit albums.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 07-31-2019 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    About 22 years ago, I paid $125 for my second copy of the original "Meet the Supremes" album.
    I think I paid just about the same thing for mine, though it might have been $100, and I think I bought mine in the late 1980s. I only have one copy, except for the 1980s reissue, which I bought because it was in true Stereo as I recall. The album came in Stereo, but not until the redesigned "faces" cover.

You know, whenever you want to browse prices on Ebay, you really have to look at the Completed Listings to see what something sold for. People seem to list the same items for a year or more with outrageously high prices which doesn't say anything about the item's true market value. Same as on Amazon, where the price gougers seem even more ambitious.

Unlike many, I've actually grown to really like this album since the Hip-O Expanded Edition came out. Like the early Marvelettes albums, the singers' lack of sophistication and total innocence is endearing somewhat, even though Diane is off-key throughout much of the songs. The bonus tracks in some ways sound better than the tracks they actually put on the LP as well. I don't consider it amongst their best to be sure, but I think it's a fun album if only to hear how they started compared to what they grew into.
    Last edited by kenneth; 08-01-2019 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I think I paid just about the same thing for mine, though it might have been $100, and I think I bought mine in the late 1980s. I only have one copy, except for the 1980s reissue, which I bought because it was in true Stereo as I recall. The album came in Stereo, but not until the redesigned "faces" cover.

You know, whenever you want to browse prices on Ebay, you really have to look at the Completed Listings to see what something sold for. People seem to list the same items for a year or more with outrageously high prices which doesn't say anything about the item's true market value. Same as on Amazon, where the price gougers seem even more ambitious.

Unlike many, I've actually grown to really like this album since the Hip-O Expanded Edition came out. Like the early Marvelettes albums, the singers' lack of sophistication and total innocence is endearing somewhat, even though Diane is off-key throughout much of the songs. The bonus tracks in some ways sound better than the tracks they actually put on the LP as well. I don't consider it amongst their best to be sure, but I think it's a fun album if only to hear how they started compared to what they grew into.
    Kenneth, back then, I found my copy in "Goldmine" magazine. I had a subscription. "Record Collector" was another good collecting mag.

Kenneth, back then, I found my copy in "Goldmine" magazine. I had a subscription. "Record Collector" was another good collecting mag.
    Yes, what would we have done back then without Goldmine? It was one of the few sources to find rare records pre-Internet days. Also back then, I think you almost always had to pay by check. I remember getting cheated a couple times, ordering something which was never sent, and Goldmine even had a service where they would try to settle disputes between buyers and sellers. It was a valuable resource and really at the time, just about the only game in town!

Yes, what would we have done back then without Goldmine? It was one of the few sources to find rare records pre-Internet days. Also back then, I think you almost always had to pay by check. I remember getting cheated a couple times, ordering something which was never sent, and Goldmine even had a service where they would try to settle disputes between buyers and sellers. It was a valuable resource and really at the time, just about the only game in town!
    I got ripped off this year on iOffer.com I paid thru paypal for a DVD that does not play.

I got ripped off this year on iOffer.com I paid thru paypal for a DVD that does not play.
    Doesn't PayPal give you some sort of buyer protection? I thought it did though I've heard you have to act quickly.

Doesn't PayPal give you some sort of buyer protection? I thought it did though I've heard you have to act quickly.
    Nope. Not when you purchase something from that site. Once the seller gets the money, good luck in getting it back if the item you bought from them is defective.

Nope. Not when you purchase something from that site. Once the seller gets the money, good luck in getting it back if the item you bought from them is defective.
    Ouch. I've bought some DVDs from them before. I knew they were bootlegs, they were sets of old TV series which were unavailable anywhere else. Of course, they were mostly taped from TV or copied possibly from old VHS tapes. They don't seem to care if sellers are marketing bootleg music or films on that site, unlike Ebay which at least makes a show of policing themselves.

Ouch. I've bought some DVDs from them before. I knew they were bootlegs, they were sets of old TV series which were unavailable anywhere else. Of course, they were mostly taped from TV or copied possibly from old VHS tapes. They don't seem to care if sellers are marketing bootleg music or films on that site, unlike Ebay which at least makes a show of policing themselves.
    Over the years I have found some good quality, rare items on iOffer, but there is little to no protection for the buy on that site.