[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes version of the new movie Yesterday?

I know a handful of things about The Beatles, but not as much as Motown and The Supremes! Hey MJ's estate owns both group's catalog.......

So when the timing is right make a Motown/Supremes, or just Supremes take on Yesterday, Universal [[the owner of the movie) can see the potential of it being similar as long as they make enough changes. Think Rocketman being better than Bohemian Rhapsody.

Just try to keep it respectful and not make it like "Dreamgirls".

Here's a trailer for those who haven't seen "Yesterday":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uqvgPm8U4c

IF [[and i really emphasize the word "if") there would ever be a motown/supremes movie, it would probably be an adaptation of the current stage show. maybe they'd alter it to not be a musical exactly. Just like how i wouldn't characterize Rocketman or Bohemian Rhapsody as a musical.

I think the option of doing Motown would go over better than Supremes. unfortunately IMO there isn't enough general public interest in the supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by IMissFlo93 View Post
    I know a handful of things about The Beatles, but not as much as Motown and The Supremes! Hey MJ's estate owns both group's catalog.......

So when the timing is right make a Motown/Supremes, or just Supremes take on Yesterday, Universal [[the owner of the movie) can see the potential of it being similar as long as they make enough changes. Think Rocketman being better than Bohemian Rhapsody.

Just try to keep it respectful and not make it like "Dreamgirls".

Here's a trailer for those who haven't seen "Yesterday":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uqvgPm8U4c
    When you say "Michael Jackson's estate owns both group's catalogs" what do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    When you say "Michael Jackson's estate owns both group's catalogs" what do you mean?
    I was just about to ask the same question

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I was just about to ask the same question
    I think we are about to learn something incredible! LOL!!!

What are we to look for on that Wikipedia page?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    IF [[and i really emphasize the word "if") there would ever be a motown/supremes movie, it would probably be an adaptation of the current stage show. maybe they'd alter it to not be a musical exactly. Just like how i wouldn't characterize Rocketman or Bohemian Rhapsody as a musical.

I think the option of doing Motown would go over better than Supremes. unfortunately IMO there isn't enough general public interest in the supremes.
    Right. Supremes ferver peaked with the 'Dreamgirls' movie. Diana still slays live as Diana, but a Supremes biopic ain't the 'thang. Other than a Beatles Anthology-styled doc I don't see Motown as a big calling card either. Don't even let's get started on the 1,742 Florence Ballard biopics rumored to start filming any moment now.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Right. Supremes ferver peaked with the 'Dreamgirls' movie. Diana still slays live as Diana, but a Supremes biopic ain't the 'thang. Other than a Beatles Anthology-styled doc I don't see Motown as a big calling card either. Don't even let's get started on the 1,742 Florence Ballard biopics rumored to start filming any moment now.
    Motown not a big calling card? Well Diana Ross isn't either I suppose.........

https://www.showbiz411.com/2014/12/1...-of-diana-ross

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Motown not a big calling card? Well Diana Ross isn't either I suppose.........

https://www.showbiz411.com/2014/12/1...-of-diana-ross
    This is nothing new. The younger generation doesn’t know anyone from the past. They were not like me when I was young. I knew most entertainers past and present. Even from my parents and grandparents era. I was once at a gathering and some 20 year old kids didn’t know who Cher was. I couldn’t believe it. She knew who Diana Ross was. Lol.

Last year there was a teenager on a UK reality show and she thought they had a different sun in Spain, so I don't expect any kid to know anything. What do they teach them in schools?

Quote Originally Posted by IMissFlo93 View Post
    Michael lost his bid to buy out Jobete. His estate sold his percentage of the Beatles catalog to Sony following his death and Paul McCartney is in the final stages of getting that catalog back in his name [[and possibly the estate of John Lennon as well).

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I don't know about Motown no longer being a big calling card either since articles run every other year about a possible Marvin Gaye biopic, which probably won't go into production until Berry dies or if the Gaye family can come to agreement with how Marvin should be portrayed on screen [[don't start Peace, I know how you hate the Gaye family lol...). But I'm guessing the ones who made it as solo stars are better known than the groups [[Marvin, Stevie, and to a lesser degree Diana and, due to Dave Chappelle, Rick James, maybe).

As for the Supremes, why shouldn't there be an interest in making a film about the most successful vocal group of their time? But I believe if there is no consensus between Diana, Mary and the estate of Florence [[the estate being the three daughters Nicole, Michelle and Lisa), there won't be one made.
    Last edited by midnightman; 07-10-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    This is nothing new. The younger generation doesn’t know anyone from the past. They were not like me when I was young. I knew most entertainers past and present. Even from my parents and grandparents era. I was once at a gathering and some 20 year old kids didn’t know who Cher was. I couldn’t believe it. She knew who Diana Ross was. Lol.
    Just yesterday, there was an article posted about how half of the folks on Twitter didn't know this man was Robert Redford:

at my work place on a lunch break i mentioned in front of a young man of color[[mid 20's i'd say)in regard to groups of the 60's, "When Diana Ross left The Supremes.." and he cut in and said "Diana Ross was in the Supremes?" ..I laughed, and a co worker in her 50's almost fell off the bench she was sitting on.. the young do know Ross..but the Supremes connection, not so much it seems.. my niece in her 30's, knows Ross from The Wiz which has become a cable tv classic for kids in her age group [[I am not a fan of The Wiz film) that's primarily how she knows her.. by the same token she only knows David Bowie from another awful cable tv mainstay the film "Labyrinth" which is also a hit with her generation ./ both films flopped at the box office but they're hits now

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    at my work place on a lunch break i mentioned in front of a young man of color[[mid 20's i'd say)in regard to groups of the 60's, "When Diana Ross left The Supremes.." and he cut in and said "Diana Ross was in the Supremes?" ..I laughed, and a co worker in her 50's almost fell off the bench she was sitting on.. the young do know Ross..but the Supremes connection, not so much it seems.. my niece in her 30's, knows Ross from The Wiz which has become a cable tv classic for kids in her age group [[I am not a fan of The Wiz film) that's primarily how she knows her.. by the same token she only knows David Bowie from another awful cable tv mainstay the film "Labyrinth" which is also a hit with her generation ./ both films flopped at the box office but they're hits now
    Almost all of them know the Temptations though because of the TV movie.

So many of the young appear to have minimal interest in any type of history, no matter what it's shape or form. I know this from nieces/nephews and people i work with. From my own experience younger peeps more readily recognise the name Diana Ross as opposed to The Supremes. Perhaps this should not come as such a huge surprise as Diana has been a solo act for nearly fifty years now and is still out there doing her thing.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 07-11-2019 at 05:46 AM.

i think in general few people are that familiar with artist that are more than a generation separated from their own. people pay attention to what is direction in front of them. sure some people will dig and explore to find something different.

for instance, i have little knowledge of the vocal groups of the 40s and 50s. i know a few classic songs from the era but have never really bothered to do much research. I might definitely recognize big hits of the era but wouldn't always be able to tell you what group sang it. must less the group member names.

And same with the generations after my youth. i certainly don't bother with many of today's acts

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    So many of the young appear to have minimal interest in any type of history, no matter what it's shape or form. I know this from nieces/nephews and people i work with. From my own experience younger peeps more readily recognise the name Diana Ross as opposed to The Supremes. Perhaps this should not come as such a huge surprise as Diana has been a solo act for nearly fifty years now and is still out there doing her thing.
    definitely not a surprise. She was a supreme for 9 years or so. and a solo artist for 49. she's sold at least as many solo records as she did as a group member. Also the supremes started to fade from the general public's attention around 71 or 72. and a combination of motown, the record industry and the public have pretty much locked the concept of the group purely to DR. while fans still heavily supported the girls, the general public was more apathetic.