[REMOVE ADS]

Phyllis would have turned 70 last week

I know we talk about her frequently on here but it still bears mentioning that the gorgeous Phyllis Hyman would have turned 70 on Saturday if she were still with us. I have no doubt that her statuesque beauty would have held up well over the years if she had been able to take care of herself.

And to think of all the great music she might have graced us with during these last 25 years! One of the music world's great losses of all time.

I so agree.
    As soon as I see her name , I feel sadness. I'm going to go listen to something by her now.

Such beauty,talent,and sadness.

Great singer and very nice looking woman. Happy Birthday Phyllis Hyman.

When I was in NYC a few weeks ago, we were strolling down Lenox Avenue recalling the one and only time I saw her live. She still looms large in my musical memory. The Jason Michael biography is finally available on Kindle. I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I know we talk about her frequently on here but it still bears mentioning that the gorgeous Phyllis Hyman would have turned 70 on Saturday if she were still with us. I have no doubt that her statuesque beauty would have held up well over the years if she had been able to take care of herself.

And to think of all the great music she might have graced us with during these last 25 years! One of the music world's great losses of all time.
    She was without doubt one of the greatest female vocalists of all time. This lady was the full package. She left us with a wonderful body of music, but i am sure we would have been treated to a handful of other great albums had she lived.I hope she finally found the peace and tranquility denied to her on this earth. May she r.i.p.

Phyllis Hyman was one in a million. Whenever I play my favorite tracks like "Old Friend" and "I Refuse To Be Lonely" for friends, they're immediately taken by the beauty in her voice and her music -- shocked that they've never heard of her. Given her looks and her extreme talent, she deserved to cross over into the big-time. Hard to believe she didn't. Pity, her demons held her at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    When I was in NYC a few weeks ago, we were strolling down Lenox Avenue recalling the one and only time I saw her live. She still looms large in my musical memory. The Jason Michael biography is finally available on Kindle. I highly recommend it.
    I read that biography in February. I'd also recommend it but advise that it's very deep in parts. I've loved her music for years but with a tinge of sadness since I read the book. Beautiful lady with one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard. She left far too early.

This comment might lead us in a different direction and offend some folks, so let me say up front that is NOT my intention........but I wonder if Phyllis' career at Arista might have been more successful and continued if Whitney had not become the mega-star that she did. In other words, if their careers had been developing at different times and they had been on different labels instead of roughly paralleling each other, could they each have been the mainstream star that Whitney became?

This comment might lead us in a different direction and offend some folks, so let me say up front that is NOT my intention........but I wonder if Phyllis' career at Arista might have been more successful and continued if Whitney had not become the mega-star that she did. In other words, if their careers had been developing at different times and they had been on different labels instead of roughly paralleling each other, could they each have been the mainstream star that Whitney became?
    I recall an interview where Phyllis said she was no longer treated as a priority once Whitney broke big, but even prior to that her career had not taken off at Arista to the extent that her talent deserved.
    In my opinion she produced her best work at Philly so perhaps Whitney did her a favour, but of course there was no happy ending to the story. So very sad.

That is discussed somewhat in the Phyllis biography. Phyllis was very envious of the care and attention Whitney received from Clive and Arista. They were both uniquely talented -- Whitney extraordinarily so. Phyllis had a few years with Clive and Arista before Whitney was signed. Clive saw great potential in Phyllis but they never saw eye-to-eye. Clive wanted a pop diva, Phyllis did not want to be a pop diva. Also, Clive regarded Whitney as a much better prospect for crossover success -- she had youth, beauty and that pristine soprano voice. Phyllis was also strikingly beautiful and statuesque but that gorgeous contralto voice wasn't going anywhere near the pop charts.

Phyllis was a "soul" singer without Whitney-esque mass-market, cross-cultural potential. At best, she could have enjoyed a career like Anita Baker. Platinum albums, Grammys and the occasional pop chart single -- but overwhelmingly R&B and adored and revered by her R&B/Soul adherents. Phyllis would not have become the commercial powerhouse that Whitney was. I say this with great love, affection and appreciation for both divas.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    That is discussed somewhat in the Phyllis biography. Phyllis was very envious of the care and attention Whitney received from Clive and Arista. They were both uniquely talented -- Whitney extraordinarily so. Phyllis had a few years with Clive and Arista before Whitney was signed. Clive saw great potential in Phyllis but they never saw eye-to-eye. Clive wanted a pop diva, Phyllis did not want to be a pop diva. Also, Clive regarded Whitney as a much better prospect for crossover success -- she had youth, beauty and that pristine soprano voice. Phyllis was also strikingly beautiful and statuesque but that gorgeous contralto voice wasn't going anywhere near the pop charts.

Phyllis was a "soul" singer without Whitney-esque mass-market, cross-cultural potential. At best, she could have enjoyed a career like Anita Baker. Platinum albums, Grammys and the occasional pop chart single -- but overwhelmingly R&B and adored and revered by her R&B/Soul adherents. Phyllis would not have become the commercial powerhouse that Whitney was. I say this with great love, affection and appreciation for both divas.
    I would say you summed it up very well there Guy, but it is criminal that Phyllis did not achieve a greater level of success on the charts. I know she disliked some of the material she was forced to record at Arista. Had she co-operated more with Clive she probably would have had a few big records, but she stuck to her principals and ultimately followed her own path and had a very varied career and left us with a fine legacy. God Bless her.