[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Motown Country

Motown Country

Hey gang, I'm trying to put together a collection of Motown songs that are either straight country (like the Supremes "My Heart Can't Take It No More") or have a country vibe or style to them (like Stevie's "Aint Gonna Stand For It"). Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Hey gang, I'm trying to put together a collection of Motown songs that are either straight country (like the Supremes "My Heart Can't Take It No More") or have a country vibe or style to them (like Stevie's "Aint Gonna Stand For It"). Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    A few that immediately came to mind:

Sail On - Commodores
    My Love - Lionel
    Stuck On You - Lionel
    Sorry Doesn’t Always Make It Right - Diana
    Last Time I Saw Him - Diana
    Help Me Make It Through The Night - GK&TP

"Neither One of Us Wants to Be the First to Say Goodbye" by GK&TP was originally a country song. Don't know if it counts.

There was the Melodyland label Motown released during the mid-late seventies that thankfully was short-lived. However, one name I'm aware on it was T.G. Sheppard, whose had a couple of Country Number One Hits on the label in "Tryin' To Beat The Morning Home" and "Devil In The Bottle".

Here you go, Melodyland:
    https://www.45cat.com/label/melodyland

Who Could Ever Doubt My Love, from More Hits By The Supremes, has a bit of a country sound and would have fit nicely on their Country, Western & Pop album (although it is also perfect on More Hits).

6. The Lonesome Road- Stevie Wonder
    It's Your Wedding Day- Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
    Don't Let Him Take Your Love From Me- Jimmy Ruffin
    Cold As Usual- Dorsey Burnette

Thanks gang. Most of these were already on my list. Ngroove thanks for the link to the Melodyland label output. I knew Motown had a country label at some point but for some reason I kept thinking it was Mowest, which Thelma Houston was on and she recorded some countryish type tunes. Thanks again!

Don't forget "Lucy" by The Commodores.

A Motown country playlist eh RanRan.......

You could include "Honey" by The Four Tops (from Soul Spin) which was a country hit for Bobby Goldsporo (whoever that is ) although it isn't really country in The Tops' hands (but it is absolutely wonderful).

Texas Moon by Wendel Adkins from the Sundowners album is a good one .

Johnny porter[temptations-house party].

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HFiwTmQh36E

The Originals. Game Called Love. Stevie’s creation. Hated it. As I did The Originals Behind Closed Doors. Why on earth did they go down this C&W route?
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 07-08-2019 at 06:13 PM.

Diana also did Behind Closed Doors on LTISH LP/1974

I always like to shake things up. Play the wild card, if you will.

He's not Motown. Not a Motown song. BUT it is "Motown-ish". Has a country feel/ vibe to it. And is actually a soul/ blues/rock hybrid!
    You unpack all that??

Elvin Bishop - Fooled Around and Fell In Love.
    Always thought he was Motown back inaday!