[REMOVE ADS]

The classic temptations-a lifetime of hits built in a short time!

You know gang,when i think about the classic temps[the david ruffin era]it's really a legendary period and actually short[4 1/2 yrs]but the legacy of hits,performances built in that short time will stand for as long as music is played,not enough credit is given to-berry,smokey,norman,cholly who were the driving forces who helped mold the guys into the best of all time with outstanding songs and performances,when i think of the short time they were together it boggles my mind and there are folks today who only think of them from that period because it just seems that they were together much longer,wow what an era,what a collection of hits-what a group..david,eddie,paul,otis,melvin-forever!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    You know gang,when i think about the classic temps[the david ruffin era]it's really a legendary period and actually short[4 1/2 yrs]but the legacy of hits,performances built in that short time will stand for as long as music is played,not enough credit is given to-berry,smokey,norman,cholly who were the driving forces who helped mold the guys into the best of all time with outstanding songs and performances,when i think of the short time they were together it boggles my mind and there are folks today who only think of them from that period because it just seems that they were together much longer,wow what an era,what a collection of hits-what a group..david,eddie,paul,otis,melvin-forever!!
    Well the was the height of the popularity of the "Motown Sound" [[1964-69). For me it goes on longer than that, but I think Worldwide, those years were their peak years for the Temptations and all of the classic Motown artists.

I always forget how short The Tempts' "classic period" really is... especially considering the amount of classics they churned out in that time. What a group they were! And what producers they had!!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 06-11-2018 at 06:23 PM.

Yes indeed; The Temptations "classic 5 period" was the result of a perfect match of singers, songwriters/producers & The Funk Bros. house band. And even though this time was short, the era would set the tone for the rest of The Tempts' career.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Yes indeed; The Temptations "classic 5 period" was the result of a perfect match of singers, songwriters/producers & The Funk Bros. house band. And even though this time was short, the era would set the tone for the rest of The Tempts' career.
    They were most uniform as a group during this period. Motown invested and promoted them well at that time.

Great point AB. I was about to say that it was approximately the same amount of time as the three original Supremes' hit making years, but the big difference between the two groups is that the original Supremes had nearly ten years singing together and perfecting their chemistry. The classic five Tempts came together and seemingly overnight the fellas had a big hit and didn't look back [[no pun intended). They were incredible.

And 60 years later, they're still temptin'!

The original Temptations -- David, Eddie, Paul, Otis, & Melvin -- had the best harmony blend of all the Tempts' lineups which, to this day, remains magical and unmatched. Their 5 LPs "Sing Smokey", "Temptin' Temptations", "Gettin' Ready", "With A Lot O' Soul", and "Wish It Would Rain" are among Motown's finest.

I've thought the same thing often. That the Temptations could garner enough hits in such a short, compressed time speaks VOLUMES for the Motown machinery. Really, like you said, it has as much to do with all the folks behind the scenes as it did with the group itself. Producers and record company execs from Phil Spector to Ahmet Ertegun at Atlantic have remarked about the uniqueness of the Motown enterprise. I believe it may have ben Ahmet who once remarked that Motown scared Atlantic because they didn't understand it, didn't know how to reproduce it [[I'm paraphrasing).

When you get right down to it, few other male groups [[outside of Motown) even came close to building such a large cache of classics- the majority still well-known today- as The Temptations in such a short time.

Not to mention books, musicals, and interviews! Let alone still recording!!

Quote Originally Posted by nativeny63 View Post
    not to mention books, musicals, and interviews! Let alone still recording!!
    good point!

Otis received an award in Harlem recently. At its Spring Gala, The Harlem Theater walk of Fame! He said, in part, "... I'm 77 and I started this to get girls and have fun... never thought I'd be still doin- this almost 60 years later!!!"

O summed it up for all us hardcore Motown fanatics!!! Thanks, O!