[REMOVE ADS]

"Send Me No Flowers"

Since it's come up in the other thread quite a few times...

I love this song. Loved it ever since the 25th Anniversary set. I don't think it has single potential but it would've made an excellent addition to the WDOLG album. Diana's lead vocal is great, Flo and Mary's harmonies are perfect. I love the lightness of the band. Real nice stuff.

I don't know the recording timeline but I think this track sounds like an intermediate between Lovelight and WDOLG. Until the end, I think Diana is singing in the same register as WDOLG. I don't know if it would have had any singles potential but I prefer it to Run, Run, Run, which I think was a step backward.
    Last edited by lucky2012; 07-06-2019 at 06:54 PM.

i like it, not as a single tho, but i would replace Kiss Of Fire or one of the other songs with this, got a nice pop feel to it

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    I don't know the recording timeline but I think this track sounds like an intermediate between Lovelight and WDOLG. Until the end, I think Diana is singing in the same register as WDOLG. I don't know if it would have had any singles potential but I prefer it to Run, Run, Run, which I think was a step backward.
    Lucky if I'm not mistaken, "Flowers" was recorded at some point between "Lovelight" and "Where".

Was just listening to this song this morning on my way to work. It is a favorite. As a single, well maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Lucky if I'm not mistaken, "Flowers" was recorded at some point between "Lovelight" and "Where".
    actually it comes quite a bit later. it was actually recorded AFTER Where did our love go. Where was on 4/8 and Flowers was 5/4/64.

This and Penny were a couple of the very few early HDH tracks that never made it to an album. much of the canned tracks from the period were done by other producers.

I think this is one of those recordings where the Andantes were singing with Mary & Flo. It's clear there are more than two women singing background.

I don't hear more than two voices in the background Brad. Sounds like pure Flo and Mary.

I don't hear more than two voices in the background Brad. Sounds like pure Flo and Mary.
    There is definitely the Andantes sound on the word "flowers." In the extended part, you can hear Mary's laugh when Brian is goofing around, but on the actual recording it's definitely more than two women singing background.

If the Andantes are in the mix then maybe they're buried in the weeds.

FF to @2:31 in your initial post; the "flo-WERRRS!" moment was a shock to me when I first heard it. Not to say that M & F aren't prominent in the bulk of the track, but that one can definitely hear The Andantes there, IMHO.

maybe they're just mixed way into the background. just to give fullness to the vocals. similar to how they doubled the girls on songs from CWP