[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Masters Matter - Why Ownership Matters


  2. #2
    Stevie. Sam Cooke. Smokey. Marvin. The Boss, Miss Ross. Am I right?
    All own(Ed) their masters?

    Taylor Swift is joining a rareified group.

  3. #3
    The only constant in the music industry from its inception, is that it is replete with weasels and snakes who will sink to new lows in order to screw somebody (either artists or innovators) for the other person's creative output. Blatantly unfair, the bastards are as good or better at what they do - ripping people off - as the artists they use. It's the same today as it ever was and it's a true shame nothing has been done about it.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Stevie. Sam Cooke. Smokey. Marvin. The Boss, Miss Ross. Am I right?
    All own(Ed) their masters?

    Taylor Swift is joining a rareified group.
    The article is saying she does not own her masters and I doubt many of the Motown artists do - Marvin Gaye’s estate for one; Universal owns most of them

  5. #5
    I just watched "Ray" again. Since Ray Charles got ownership of his masters from ABC, are they with the family now? Also, was Ray's masters from Atlantic lost?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The article is saying she does not own her masters and I doubt many of the Motown artists do - Marvin Gaye’s estate for one; Universal owns most of them
    Marvin's estate makes bread partially because he wrote his most important hits save for Grapevine and Ain't No Mountain High Enough. If he did own, he wouldn't have died in debt. Then again, Michael Jackson owned his music and died in debt as well.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    I just watched "Ray" again. Since Ray Charles got ownership of his masters from ABC, are they with the family now? Also, was Ray's masters from Atlantic lost?
    I think his manager owns it. I know his family sued Joe Adams to have Ray's music returned to them.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.