[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    MAD Magazine - The End of An Era!

    I wished I could say it ain't so.......

    https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/04/m...rnd/index.html

  2. #2
    What? No more[mad]it seems that many of our institutions are passing from view.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    What? No more[mad]it seems that many of our institutions are passing from view.
    This one is crazy. I can't understand the given explanation for it.

  4. #4
    Greed,politics ,bad management..take your pick!

  5. #5
    Mad Magazine helped form my thinking in my youth. A small town country boy exposed to NYC dry cynicism presented through ribald (within tasteful limits and self imposed standards) humor. It all seemed like something from far away , a life view I knew nothing of.

    At age ten , I had gone to a friend's house and there it was on his older brother's bed. What is this ?? "Mad magazine!" ( Issue 100) Thumbed through it and then got muy own copy, read it cover to back cover and from then on couldn't wait for each new issue ( nine per year).

    I convinced my parents to stop at the used book and magazine stores in Hollywood when we would visit my grandparents in Long Beach so I could seek out old copies. I wanted every issue , and sent away for old issues back east. I finally owned them all up until the year I stopped collecting . Unfortunately , like vinyl, condition means everything. I just wanted to own and read them and I bought what my parents were willing to let me get . VG reads just as good as MINT. Oh well , what me worry!


    Thanks Mad Magazine , William Gaines for providing me years of eye opening entertainment in my formative years!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-07-2019 at 04:17 AM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Mad Magazine helped form my thinking in my youth. A small town country boy exposed to NYC dry cynicism presented through ribald (within tasteful limits and self imposed standards) humor. It all seemed like something from far away , a life view I knew nothing of.

    At age ten , I had gone to a friend's house and there it was on his older brother's bed. What is this ?? "Mad magazine!" ( Issue 100) Thumbed through it and then got muy own copy, read it cover to back cover and from then on couldn't wait for each new issue ( nine per year).

    I convinced my parents to stop at the used book and magazine stores in Hollywood when we would visit my grandparents in Long Beach so I could seek out old copies. I wanted every issue , and sent away for old issues back east. I finally owned them all up until the year I stopped collecting . Unfortunately , like vinyl, condition means everything. I just wanted to own and read them and I bought what my parents were willing to let me get . VG reads just as good as MINT. Oh well , what me worry!


    Thanks Mad Magazine , William Gaines for providing me years of eye opening entertainment in my formative years!
    Great story. I use to collect Mad, along with my Monster magazines.

  7. #7
    I haven't read MAD for years, but it was part of my life as a kid. And in high school, I picked up my copy from the soda shop across the street from the school and read it in study hall. (Of course, camouflaged in my notebook)

    In a way though, I think it lives on.

    Name:  mad.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  17.9 KB

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Great story. I use to collect Mad, along with my Monster magazines.
    thanks Marv. yes , those monster mags! when we'd go to the market with my dad, my brother and I would b-line it to the magazine rack to look at those.
    I enjoyed the developmental years of Mad the best. Once they hit they're stride, their content became a little too formula. Understandable because each writer was submitting his particular shtick, like Dave Berg Looks At..... Then to stay relevant to a more sophisticated youth , they widened their boundaries and had lost their innocence. I won't miss the magazine in its present form , but I know its not aimed at me anyway.

    Kind of scary what becomes increasingly acceptable in our society as the norm, the goal lines of decency keep getting pushed out . The gutter level of things middle aged ladies discuss on BRAVO for instance .............

  9. #9
    I once had the copy I was caught reading in class confiscated by my teacher.
    My sister used to say I looked like Alfred E. Neuman, and I have spent the last 50 odd years taking my revenge.
    Last edited by 144man; 07-09-2019 at 02:20 PM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    thanks Marv. yes , those monster mags! when we'd go to the market with my dad, my brother and I would b-line it to the magazine rack to look at those.
    I enjoyed the developmental years of Mad the best. Once they hit they're stride, their content became a little too formula. Understandable because each writer was submitting his particular shtick, like Dave Berg Looks At..... Then to stay relevant to a more sophisticated youth , they widened their boundaries and had lost their innocence. I won't miss the magazine in its present form , but I know its not aimed at me anyway.

    Kind of scary what becomes increasingly acceptable in our society as the norm, the goal lines of decency keep getting pushed out . The gutter level of things middle aged ladies discuss on BRAVO for instance .............
    I'll never forget their parodies of "Rosemary's Baby" and "The Poseidon Adventure"! OMG! LOL!!!!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I'll never forget their parodies of "Rosemary's Baby" and "The Poseidon Adventure"! OMG! LOL!!!!
    don't you mean "ROSEMARY'S BOO BOO" and "UPSIDE DOWN ADVENTURE" ?

    classics, both

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    don't you mean "ROSEMARY'S BOO BOO" and "UPSIDE DOWN ADVENTURE" ?

    classics, both
    I can't remember what they called them, but I do remember crying laughing as I read those two stories on particular. LOL! The Rosemary's Boo Boo had to been around 1968-69 and Poseidon/Upside Down Adventure around 1972.

  13. #13
    The cartoonists for Mad back in those days were excellent!

  14. #14
    I used to like the Marginal Thinking Department. I can still remember some of the proverbs such as "A fool and his money buy this magazine" and "He who laughs last has just seen another meaning".

  15. #15
    I preferred, Crazy magazine myself. I think Marvel was behind it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.