[REMOVE ADS]

What if there was a new girl group that broke the records and success of The Supremes

The Supremes may be the greatest girl group of all time. But what if a new girl group got lots of triple-platinum records, Grammys, hit songs, and great crossover appeal to break records The Supremes previously held? What if the lead singer left and her solo career QUADRUPLED sales of Diana Ross? Maybe even Thriller status?

What do you think?

I am not talking about Destiny's Child, TLC, etc. I mean a band that would just be a HUGE sensation and not a fad.
    Last edited by IMissFlo93; 07-01-2019 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IMissFlo93 View Post
    The Supremes may be the greatest girl group of all time. But what if a new girl group got lots of triple-platinum records, Grammys, hit songs, and great crossover appeal to break records The Supremes previously held? What if the lead singer left and her solo career QUADRUPLED sales of Diana Ross? Maybe even Thriller status?

What do you think?

I am not talking about Destiny's Child, TLC, etc. I mean a band that would just be a HUGE sensation and not a fad.
    Add Fifth Harmony to the fad camp.

Quote Originally Posted by IMissFlo93 View Post

What do you think?

It would be nice, but I don't see it as realistic in this day and age. I feel like the internet has expanded the music zeitgeist farther than anyone could have imagined. Before the digital age, media was much more consolidated and I feel it was easier to reach your audiences if you had the proper connections or channels. While that can remain true to a point in this day and age, much of the artists becoming "legendary" to my generation either have a large connection to internet culture, or in artists like Ariana Grande's case, grew up with us on kids television. With the ease of access we have to limitless content, the change A&R / PR and the way selling records have changed, 15 minutes of fame has decreased to a mere 5 minutes as we absorb culture and music faster.

Much of the current pop stars you see on top today owe their music careers with being "there" before they even started. Ariana, Miley, and a few others began in television and had projects behind them before they "grew up" and got serious. Singer / songwriter male tenors in the vein of Ed Sheeran are a dime-a-dozen nowadays, and pretty-boys like Shawn Mendes cultivated an internet following of young females before they launched.

In the last ten years, i would say the closest thing we've had to a traditional star would be the work of Beyonce and Jay-Z; they are ruthless business people, and truly support the artists they have fostered, aside from their own career. They seem to have a genuine interest with supporting and fostering black talent while attempting to launch them into a homogeneous mainstream.

Welp, modern music would have to not suck, which it doesn’t, so the hypothetical won’t happen soon enough for me to worry about it. The Supremes will always be supreme for me.

No other girl group will land 12 number one singles, 33 Top 40 singles and 23 Top 10 singles. No other girl group can land as many albums as they did on the Billboard 200. No other group would be able to match what they did as barrier breakers and pioneers of integration. They were linked to the civil rights movement.

Forget about it. Can't match it. Every other girl group SINCE the Supremes have fallen short. Even groups who sold more albums than them like the Spice Girls, Destiny's Child and TLC. These groups only existed [[TLC being the outlier in terms of style and sound) because of the three girls from Detroit's Brewster-Douglass projects.

You can't compare what the Supremes did in the 60s to anyone that comes along now.
    Different era. different recording methods