[REMOVE ADS]

"Alternate version" studio chatter

In certain alternate versions of tracks, you can sometimes catch the artists on the mic either counting down or conversationally riffing in the booth before they start the song.

One of the examples which inspired this thread was the alternate take of Martha & The Vandellas' "Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things)" where you hear Martha quip "Maybe if we knew what it was you were stopping the tape for, we could like.." then you hear her trail off with a chuckle. In The Supremes' "Extended Alternate Version" of ""You Can't Hurry Love," you can also hear [[who I believe) was Diana laughing and sniffing before the music starts.

Where these unrelated impromptu recordings spliced into the take to make it seem more realistic, where they planned, or where they legitimately the artists just joking around?
    Last edited by loganjlr; 06-30-2019 at 11:13 PM.

And Florence said something like”that better be enough because ...”

I would say it was all in the matter of the producer and the engineer keeping the tape running. Usually they would only keep two takes of a vocal performance, the master take and an alternate. They would extract those,erase the other takes and use the reel for the next session. For the most part that stuff is on the multi track tapes which is what the final mixes are made from. When we hear that stuff it's primarily because mixing was involved. Kevin Reeves and Co. are listening to the reels so they stumble across it. Harry Weinger who's big on the "extras" leaves it in as a treat for fans. The "Master" tapes just consists of the song[[s), the "Multi Track" tape is where everything is in totality and in raw form. Hope I helped a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    I would say it was all in the matter of the producer and the engineer keeping the tape running. Usually they would only keep two takes of a vocal performance, the master take and an alternate. They would extract those,erase the other takes and use the reel for the next session. For the most part that stuff is on the multi track tapes which is what the final mixes are made from. When we hear that stuff it's primarily because mixing was involved. Kevin Reeves and Co. are listening to the reels so they stumble across it. Harry Weinger who's big on the "extras" leaves it in as a treat for fans. The "Master" tapes just consists of the song[[s), the "Multi Track" tape is where everything is in totality and in raw form. Hope I helped a little.
    Wow! Thank you! This response is informative and more I can ask for. Some of the alternate versions of tracks became my preferred versions

not exactly an alternate version, but on the longer lp version of EW&F's SATURDAY NIGHT hit there's some amusing studio banter at the end that's only partly heard on the single:

Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-02-2019 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    not exactly an alternate version, but on the longer lp version of EW&F's SATURDAY NIGHT hit there's some amusing studio banter at the end that's only partly heard on the single:

There is an alternate version that I believe wasn't released at the time about the " Black Bottom Roughouser" bird that someone had seen on the airplane.