[REMOVE ADS]

TVOne: The Bobby DeBarge Story

Did anyone else see it? I was disappointed. Five minutes of movie with 7 minutes of commercials. Also the actor portraying Bobby was miscast. There were times I couldn't understand what he was saying. They left out many other details, the emergence of El and El going solo as well as Bunny. They did not deal with Bobby's homosexuality as well and how it played into the drugs. The actors playing the mom, the dad and James were all good.

I watched it a couple of hours ago. It wasn't very well done, in my opinion. They totally ignored Bobby's musical beginnings, including the formation of Switch. In fact, to my memory, Bobby only sang two songs in the entire film. They spent more time on Debarge. I gather they wanted to focus on the disappointments in his life via the flashbacks but it just seemed all over the place.

TVOne should leave the biopics to BET! They did a piss poor job with the story. It focused more on Bobby’s downfall and the rise of DeBarge. That is my biggest problem with the film. Even then, other facets of him were entirely omitted. I think they should have focused more on the DeBarge family as a whole or made it a mini series.

Overall I found this movie to be in very poor taste and badly executed.

They seemed to skip Bobby's homosexuality...from what I read. I saw the preview and it was trash.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Did anyone else see it? I was disappointed. Five minutes of movie with 7 minutes of commercials. Also the actor portraying Bobby was miscast. There were times I couldn't understand what he was saying. They left out many other details, the emergence of El and El going solo as well as Bunny. They did not deal with Bobby's homosexuality as well and how it played into the drugs. The actors playing the mom, the dad and James were all good.
    I watched TVONE's Bobby DeBarge Story and I agree with you that they left out too many details to make it a good show. They need to do much better in order for me to watch one of their movies again.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    They seemed to skip Bobby's homosexuality...from what I read. I saw the preview and it was trash.
    Indeed, there was no mention of Bobby's homosexuality in the show [[but there was lots of scenes of him using cocaine and acting like a brat with members of his group Switch).