[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Not forgetting that in 1993 the Guinness Book of World Records declared her the most successful female recording artist of all time.
    That's probably what I confused the Entertainer of the Century award for. I knew there was something a bit later in her career.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Yes! That's a perfect way of describing the fickleness of the public here. I've often heard it said that Europe is far less uptight than the US is. It should come as no surprise that there would be a difference in the way artists are appreciated between the two.

More critical, which was my point, but never forgetting her or pushing her off her pedestal [[except the ones who get into pointless debates about "soulful"). The white community, apparently aside from her core fans, left Ross behind long before we ever did. I was shocked when Ross was proclaimed Entertainer of the Century [[was it Rolling Stone?). She usually didn't rate such accolades from "mainstream" media at that point.
    I'll never forget attending a white community meeting in the mid eighties and the discussion of whether to support Diana Ross came up . I was shocked when the "nays" barely won out . It was a raucous debate though !!!

Group speak bah!

Seriously though , besides the obvious handful , Whitney , Michael,etc. , who did equally well on both charts ... find me the black artists during the eighties who didn't generally chart better on the black charts than on the pop charts?... especially the legends continuing from the sixties and seventies ... and especially the Motown legends from then, like Diana.
    Black radio was in big trouble in the eighties and was having a hard time defining itself. A lot of those stations began calling themselves Urban Contemporary, and their focus was on the upbeat stuff and not as ethnic specific . Some went rap. To counter that , some became "quite storm" formatted, playing the sleepier jazzier tunes.
    The few that tried to be purists as far as being black/soul formatted, found their music choices to be of slimmer pickings, thus some of these artists' less than stellar releases charted, including Diana Ross'.
    Can many of us sing the lyrics to many of the songs that artists like Stevie and Smokey and Gladys were charting with on the black chart at that time? Do we hear them anymore?

KDIA in the SF bay area, was that primary market's premiere black radio station all through the sixties and seventies . In 1984 it suddenly switched to talk radio. I was listening the day it happened. They let the music DJs rant in protest over the airwaves, their last time on the air, and then the next day, they were gone.

Today it is Radio Punjab , playing to Hindu Punjabi listeners.
    You can read about it yourself in a watered down account: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KMKY_[[AM)
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-11-2019 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I'll never forget attending a white community meeting in the mid eighties and the discussion of whether to support Diana Ross came up . I was shocked when the "nays" barely won out . It was a raucous debate though !!!

Group speak bah!

Seriously though , besides the obvious handful , Whitney , Michael,etc. , who did equally well on both charts ... find me the black artists during the eighties who didn't generally chart better on the black charts than on the pop charts?... especially the legends continuing from the sixties and seventies ... and especially the Motown legends from then, like Diana.
    Black radio was in big trouble in the eighties and was having a hard time defining itself. A lot of those stations began calling themselves Urban Contemporary, and their focus was on the upbeat stuff and not as ethnic specific . Some went rap. To counter that , some became "quite storm" formatted, playing the sleepier jazzier tunes.
    The few that tried to be purists as far as being black/soul formatted, found their music choices to be of slimmer pickings, thus some of these artists' less than stellar releases charted, including Diana Ross'.
    Can many of us sing the lyrics to many of the songs that artists like Stevie and Smokey and Gladys were charting with on the black chart at that time? Do we hear them anymore?

KDIA in the SF bay area, was that primary market's premiere black radio station all through the sixties and seventies . In 1984 it suddenly switched to talk radio. I was listening the day it happened. They let the music DJs rant in protest over the airwaves, their last time on the air, and then the next day, they were gone.

Today it is Radio Punjab , playing to Hindu Punjabi listeners.
    You can read about it yourself in a watered down account: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KMKY_[[AM)
    The same thing happened in Denver to radio station KDKO. It was the ONLY black music station in the city starting in 1957. They went off the air in the early 90s I believe.

Just because an album doesn't sell a million copies doesn't mean it's a good album. Plenty of good albums don't sell a lot.
    Also Ross has charted on all the charts and been successful.i think mostly Ross has missed some charts due to marketing.
    The country...dance n soul charts sell at least half of what usually is selling on pop charts but many are .Ross is always judged on her pop stats which are remarkable. But that doesn't make these gems any less good. Overall Diana has had more hits than misses.