[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1

    Carol Douglas. Does NO ONE Care?

    Girl had some serious hits here in the NYC area.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUUQokztLrA

  2. #2
    I for one LOVED Miss Carol. I actually thought the very first album was the best. But I bought them all and several of the greatest hits collections. If somebody does one of those three CD packages on her, I will snatch it up in a heartbeat!

  3. #3
    Its a pity on those greatest hits cds they split up the medleys!
    Best to get the original albums on vinyl.

  4. #4
    Glad to see a few of us still remember Carol Douglas and her wonderful lps!

  5. #5
    I didn't see this thread until now. I, too, bought all of Carol Douglas' LPs and then replaced them all with her CDs. Her first album with "Doctor's Orders" remains my favorite.

  6. #6
    I'm gonna go with Carol's MIDNIGHT LOVE AFFAIR under the care and direction of John Davis ( secret disco even though peaking at #1 disco) .

    BTW , guessing UK members are well aware of this , but how many here statewide know DOCTOR'S ORDERS was a remake??

    Begging the question ,was disco at least to some degree , an advent of Great Britain?


  7. #7
    I think Boogiedown's comments about "Midnight love affair" are good - for me, this is the track which made me become aware of Carol Douglas. I bought an LP in the Netherlands, which had this track on it (the LP was called 'Steppin' Out') - and I've always loved that track, and play it fairly often on CD.

    Her version of Dancing Queen is also very good too (can't quite match ABBA - but very, very listenable / danceable).

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    BTW , guessing UK members are well aware of this , but how many here statewide know DOCTOR'S ORDERS was a remake?
    That was news to me, Boogie. According to Wiki, Carol Douglas reported that her producer at the session played her Sunny's version of "Doctors Orders" as a demo. Who knew that the producer turned out to be none other than the man himself -- Meco Monardo! (For contractual reasons, Meco had to relinquish production credit to Midland International Records.) Now it makes sense -- I've always thought the back-up girls on Carol's version sound like Meco's girls -- Arlene Martell, Vivian Cherry, Linda November, and Helen Miles. Good to.know there was a method to my madness!

    Here's the Wiki link verifying the above:

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doct..._Orders_(song)

    BTW, I've never heard Sunny's version before, nor have I ever heard "Doctor's Orders" taken at such breakneck speed! Even hip-hop dancers would have trouble keeping up! 😎

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    That was news to me, Boogie. According to Wiki, Carol Douglas reported that her producer at the session played her Sunny's version of "Doctors Orders" as a demo. Who knew that the producer turned out to be none other than the man himself -- Meco Monardo! (For contractual reasons, Meco had to relinquish production credit to Midland International Records.) Now it makes sense -- I've always thought the back-up girls on Carol's version sound like Meco's girls -- Arlene Martell, Vivian Cherry, Linda November, and Helen Miles. Good to.know there was a method to my madness!

    Here's the Wiki link verifying the above:

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doct..._Orders_(song)

    BTW, I've never heard Sunny's version before, nor have I ever heard "Doctor's Orders" taken at such breakneck speed! Even hip-hop dancers would have trouble keeping up! 
    Aha , you hadn't known that Carol's DOCTOR'S ORDERS was a Meco production Gary? Well good , I got you on that one then !, This song and (first) his NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE by Gloria Gaynor, hitting the charts crystallized a new sound and the arrival of a new genre now identified as 'disco' imo.


    ADDED : although NCSG was released and charted first, I'm not convinced DOCTORS ORDERS wasn't actually recorded first , and a lot of the DCA/ Meco sound wasn't begun there due to imitating the Sunny recording .
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-07-2019 at 05:29 PM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Aha , you hadn't known that Carol's DOCTOR'S ORDERS was a Meco production Gary? Well good , I got you on that one then !, This song and (first) his NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE by Gloria Gaynor, hitting the charts crystallized a new sound and the arrival of a new genre now identified as 'disco' imo.


    ADDED : although NCSG was released and charted first, I'm not convinced DOCTORS ORDERS wasn't actually recorded first , and a lot of the DCA/ Meco sound wasn't begun there due to imitating the Sunny recording .
    Yeah, John, you got me good!!! I'm assuming that by "DCA", you're referring to the DCA Experience (Arlene, Vivian, Linda & Helen) who recorded the Disco Bicentennial album. You know, they were also billed as Wing & A Prayer. Oh, and Simon Said. Possibly under other names as well. Off-hand, I don't remember. (That reminds me, Boogie -- did you see that I replied to your last post from several days ago in the Van McCoy thread?)

  11. #11
    Most of Carol Douglas' CDs seem to be on questionable labels, some known for using vinyl sources instead of masters (e.g. Hot Productions). What are considered the best sounding? Unidisc is another of those labels that doesn't always inspire consumer confidence...

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Yeah, John, you got me good!!! I'm assuming that by "DCA", you're referring to the DCA Experience (Arlene, Vivian, Linda & Helen) who recorded the Disco Bicentennial album. You know, they were also billed as Wing & A Prayer. Oh, and Simon Said. Possibly under other names as well. Off-hand, I don't remember. (That reminds me, Boogie -- did you see that I replied to your last post from several days ago in the Van McCoy thread?)
    Yes , the DCA Experience and the DCA stands for Disco Corp. Of America, and wiki has said for years it was founded in 1973 by "Meco, Tony Bongiovi, and a third person ". Any idea who the third person is, Gary ? And why the mystery (Mysti!! lol!)

    Hope you are enjoying your Simon Said 45. Had you noticed it was written by Tommy James ?I was curious , so I looked it up on YouTube and found it:



    interesting that Meco found it and knew he could do something with it. Tommy James is another favorite for me but does anybody hate Tommy James ??
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-10-2019 at 12:37 AM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Yes , the DCA Experience and the DCA stands for Disco Corp. Of America, and wiki has said for years it was founded in 1973 by "Meco, Tony Bongiovi, and a third person ". Any idea who the third person is, Gary ? And why the mystery (Mysti!! lol!)

    Hope you are enjoying your Simon Said 45. Had you noticed it was written by Tommy James ?I was curious , so I looked it up on YouTube and found it:



    interesting that Meco found it and knew he could do something with it. Tommy James is another favorite for me but does anybody hate Tommy James ??
    Hi John! DCA stands for Disco Corporation of America? I did not know that! The third guy along with Meco and Tony is most likely Jay Ellis, and Harold Wheeler was the music arranger who may have done some producing as well. I remember reading several years later that the team eventually split up due to the actions of one of the four members. The writer purposely didn't want to mention any names, nor did he tell what had happened that was so distasteful, but it was definitely not Meco and I'm pretty sure it wasn't Harold, as I think I've seen Harold's name associated with Meco's in later years. It would have to have been either Tony or Jay. It's left me wondering what happened ever since.

    I'm surprised to hear that you're a Tommy James fan. I've never been a fan, but I've gotta admit his version of "Love Song" is really nice -- as pretty as or even prettier than Simon Said's rendition. Damn, John! Now you got me torn between the two!!! LOL!!! Yes, I had noticed Tommy's songwriter's credit on the label copy of Simon Said's record and I was surprised, figuring that Meco or one of his team had written it. It's not really far-fetched, though, since Tommy and Simon Said were both on Roulette records. Their paths were bound to have crossed sooner later when one thing led to another.

    No, I still don't know who "Mysti" is, John. I Googled it recently but found nothing. If I find out anything, I'll let you know.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post

    No, I still don't know who "Mysti" is, John. I Googled it recently but found nothing. If I find out anything, I'll let you know.
    Yes I bet that third person was Tony
    Bongiovi.

    Hadn't you mentioned you thought Mysti might be Sondra Simon? Or I dreamt that

    youtube.com/watch?v=F6DuttlQqY0

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Yes I bet that third person was Tony
    Bongiovi.

    Hadn't you mentioned you thought Mysti might be Sondra Simon? Or I dreamt that

    youtube.com/watch?v=F6DuttlQqY0
    Nope! You dreamt it!

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Nope! You dreamt it!
    Ha ! ....well, You didn't name someone else then ? Ava Cherry?


    My computer won't behave. let me try that YouTube link again:



    hard to tell , voice is doubled....

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Ha ! ....well, You didn't name someone else then ? Ava Cherry?


    My computer won't behave. let me try that YouTube link again:



    hard to tell , voice is doubled....
    No, John, I didn't mention Ava Cherry; although Vivian Cherry is one of Meco's back-up girls. (Sisters, I'm wondering?)

    You know, I think you may have stumbled onto something. Despite the double-tracking, the lead singer on Simon Said's "You And Me (Just like In The Movies)" sounds exactly like Mysti. I think the Mysti mystery is solved!

    BTW, you got me again, Buddy! I wasn't aware that this Simon Said "You And Me" 45 existed! Do you know what's on the B-side?

    As long as were at it, what other Simon Said 45s were released? At the moment, all I have is "Smile" on Atco and "Love Song" on Roulette.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    No, John, I didn't mention Ava Cherry; although Vivian Cherry is one of Meco's back-up girls. (Sisters, I'm wondering?)

    You know, I think you may have stumbled onto something. Despite the double-tracking, the lead singer on Simon Said's "You And Me (Just like In The Movies)" sounds exactly like Mysti. I think the Mysti mystery is solved!

    BTW, you got me again, Buddy! I wasn't aware that this Simon Said "You And Me" 45 existed! Do you know what's on the B-side?

    As long as were at it, what other Simon Said 45s were released? At the moment, all I have is "Smile" on Atco and "Love Song" on Roulette.
    !Ha you're funny Gary! hey, I just replayed DISCO SYMPHONY and the voice is doubled there too!

    PUT SOME MORE FLAVOR ,arranged by Harold Wheeler! , is the b side of AT THE MOVIES but I don't see it on YouTube .

    here's another release by Camouflage though:



    arranged by Brad Baker ....

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    !Ha you're funny Gary! hey, I just replayed DISCO SYMPHONY and the voice is doubled there too!

    PUT SOME MORE FLAVOR ,arranged by Harold Wheeler! , is the b side of AT THE MOVIES but I don't see it on YouTube .

    here's another release by Camouflage though:



    arranged by Brad Baker ....
    You know what, John? I knew that title sounded familiar. I used to own the 12" Single of Simon Said's "You Got The Power" but my copy was on the orange and black Roulette label. As usual, I bought it sight-unheard, based solely on the writer/producer credits. With Meco producing on a Tom Moulton Mix, I expected big things. I must confess, I never played it much because it was weak compared to Meco's other productions which are typically highly melodic and arranged beautifully by Harold Wheeler. "You Got The Power" by Simon Said is pretty much the same two chords over and over throughout the nearly 8:00-min. track from start to finish. I hope I haven't knocked the hell out of one of your favorites!

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    You know what, John? I knew that title sounded familiar. I used to own the 12" Single of Simon Said's "You Got The Power" but my copy was on the orange and black Roulette label. As usual, I bought it sight-unheard, based solely on the writer/producer credits. With Meco producing on a Tom Moulton Mix, I expected big things. I must confess, I never played it much because it was weak compared to Meco's other productions which are typically highly melodic and arranged beautifully by Harold Wheeler. "You Got The Power" by Simon Said is pretty much the same two chords over and over throughout the nearly 8:00-min. track from start to finish. I hope I haven't knocked the hell out of one of your favorites!
    Once again , we kind of have matching ears. YOU GOT THE POWER would go into my discard pile . we approach these records with the highest of hopes based on who's behind them ..........but EVERY artist , producer has hits and misses . Maybe this one is missing the Harold Wheeler touch , but the name Brad Baker on it gives me hope. YOU GOT THE POWER is weak overall like you said and its vocally sung too raw for my taste , and her interest in this gentleman comes across as nothing more than a desperate slut ....kind of like Cher ....TAKE ME HOME , TAKE ME HOME , TAKE ME HOOOOME !!! lol!!

    But back to Brad Baker , his name is never far from Gregg Diamonds (Andrea True etc.) like Kipps is never far from Mccoy.

    Do you know the works of Meco's Showdown? Brad Baker is involved there .



    Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-12-2019 at 02:06 PM.

  21. #21
    but I'm not thinking you'll particularly like that Showdown number Gary . Guess I was leading in to this same song by Andrea True. It's interesting how these producers , like Van McCoy, will reuse different songs with different acts hoping that by applying certain tweaks, it will gel into a hit.



    hmm that was never a favorite of mine, listening to it now after a few years , I like it even less. Not all these ditties survive the test of time !

    Maybe it's your turn at this !!

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Once again , we kind of have matching ears. YOU GOT THE POWER would go into my discard pile . we approach these records with the highest of hopes based on who's behind them ..........but EVERY artist , producer has hits and misses . Maybe this one is missing the Harold Wheeler touch , but the name Brad Baker on it gives me hope. YOU GOT THE POWER is weak overall like you said and its vocally sung too raw for my taste , and her interest in this gentleman comes across as nothing more than a desperate slut ....kind of like Cher ....TAKE ME HOME , TAKE ME HOME , TAKE ME HOOOOME !!! lol!!

    But back to Brad Baker , his name is never far from Gregg Diamonds (Andrea True etc.) like Kipps is never far from Mccoy.

    Do you know the works of Meco's Showdown?
    Hey John! "Matching ears"! Yeah, that sounds about right! We seem to have matching taste in just about everything.

    Showdown! I bought their LP back in the day. They're tracks are also present on the Camouflage "A Disco Symphony" CD. Can't say I was ever crazy about Showdown. They don't even sound like Meco. You're right -- they needed Harold Wheeler. He had the golden touch. There are four of their tracks which I found tolerable: "Walkin' In Music", "Keep Doin' It", "Come Down In Time", and "Let's Make A Deal" (the Gloria Gaynor song, although not nearly as good vocally as Gloria's version). When I got the CD, I marked the tracks I liked on a posted note for future reference, as I always do. I don't think I've ever played the Showdown tracks again since! They pale so in comparison to "A Disco Symphony's" beautiful medley.

    I have both Andrea True CDs, but I never paid much attention to the producers.

    Yeah, it's true that Van McCoy re-applied some of his earlier songs to newer productions which ended up on his mid-to-late '70s disco productions. That never bothered me because his newer duplicates always sounded ever better than the earlier versions! Faith, Hope & Charity's very early, pre-RCA version of "Wings Of Love" is even prettier on Van's own 1978 vocal version on which FH&C is also present.

    ""WINGS OF LOVE":

    Faith, Hope & Charity (early '70s):
    https://youtu.be/ZWgb3wVDIpw

    Van McCoy w/Faith, Hope & Charity (1978)
    https://youtu.be/RzKj9OtGHUw

    [I just love Van's voice on his 1978 solo album. (Sorry, Jack!) And, of course, the recording equipment was much improved by 1978 compared to the earlier production above which sounds primitive.]

    Another comparison is FH&C's "You're My Peace Of Mind" and David Ruffin's Motown version of which both are excellent:

    "YOU'RE MY PEACE OF MIND":

    Faith, Hope & Charity (1976)
    https://youtu.be/znRQk9u6sFM

    David Ruffin (1977)
    https://youtu.be/BCExw9dmkZs

    [Gotta go with FH&C's own version, as that's the one I knew and loved first.]


    One more example of Van's duplicate tune productions is the track:

    "LET'S GET INTO SOMETHING":

    Richmond Extension (1975)
    https://youtu.be/a25yq3HvWMo

    David Ruffin (1976)
    https://youtu.be/KPXZ--eQiXI

    And one more:

    "GOOD GOOD TIMES":

    David Ruffin (1976)
    https://youtu.be/mvU99g4T1eA

    Peaches & Herb (1977)
    https://youtu.be/9wmDn8a-waA

    All similar but a little different, yet all top-notch Van McCoy.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    but I'm not thinking you'll particularly like that Showdown number Gary . Guess I was leading in to this same song by Andrea True. It's interesting how these producers , like Van McCoy, will reuse different songs with different acts hoping that by applying certain tweaks, it will gel into a hit.



    hmm that was never a favorite of mine, listening to it now after a few years , I like it even less. Not all these ditties survive the test of time !

    Maybe it's your turn at this !!
    Once again, we agree, John! I don't like that Showdown song at all. Doesn't sound at all like Meco. And, you're right again, I like Andrea True's "More, More, More" album much better than that second one, although I do have both on CD. (I still swear you're my musical clone, God help ya!)

  24. #24
    You know, Boogie, we can't discuss Meco, Tony Bongiovi, and Harold Wheeler without mentioning their wonderful Marlena Shaw album, "Take A Bite"! With tracks like "Love Dancin' ", "I Thank You,", and an uptempo classic dance remake of Diana's "Touch Me In The Morning", I personally rate this right up there with Camouflage's "A Disco Symphony".

    I was hoping to find the entire Side 1 medley on YouTube, but no one has uploaded it intact. We'll have to settle for three of the tracks separately.

    "Love Dancin'':
    https://youtu.be/XWvyiOeE4jA

    "I Thank You':
    https://youtu.be/CbGoa--hZBM

    "Touch Me In The Morning"
    https://youtu.be/1CwmwsEcZck

    PS: Get well soon!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.