Okay, here's one for all of you music historians. Every so often, a song is sung so well on the first take that the version that is pressed is the first one that was performed. An example of this would be Celine Dion's Emmy and Oscar winning My Heart Will Go On. She hated the song and had to be begged to record a demo. The demo was so strong that it was the vocal that was put on record and wound up being historically significant.

Can anyone recall other hit songs that resulted either from the first studio performance [[or first session)? I'm sure there are plenty but I think it's remarkable when someone can put their foot in it once and stand out. This is more incredible in light of the fact that many of today's singers record their songs line-by-line.
"When I recorded it, I didn’t think about a movie; I didn’t think about radio,” Dion told Billboard. "I thought, 'Sing the song, then get the heck out of there.'"

According to the people involved in the making of the song, there was a lot of pushback to not include it in the soundtrack, and, as Céline recalls, it took her late husband, René Angélil, and Tommy Mottola, then-head of Sony Music Entertainment, to convince her to even record the James Horner-penned tune. [[Horner died in a 2015 plane crash at age 61.)

Fortunately for all of us, Mottola convinced the singer to get in the studio after explaining the plot of the film. And even though she was suffering from, as Dion hilariously puts it, "belly pains" and "girly days," she agreed to record a demo.

"They’re all crying. And they said, 'We’re done.' I said, 'OK, well, I’m glad that you liked the demo," she said.
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/0..._16700430.html