[REMOVE ADS]

Norman Whitefield's "My Girl" Moment

The other day I was watching part 1 of the Motown 40 TV special. There was a part where Norman Whitfield was talking about Smokey's song, "My Girl." He gave it much praise and said something along the lines of not being able to match it.

I, however, do not agree that he was unable to match it. "Just My Imagination", in my opinion, does match "My Girl." As a matter of fact, I prefer "Just My Imagination."

What would you consider Norman's "My Girl" production?

Interestingly, "My Girl" was David's 1st single release as lead singer and "Just My Imagination" was Eddie's last single release as lead singer, and both topped the Billboard pop and r&b charts.

^ I agree. "Just My Imagination" is Whitfield's "My Girl". I think Marvin's "How Sweet It Is [[To Be Loved By You" is HDH's "My Girl".

I consider Norman Whitfield's "Just My Imagination [[Runnin' Away With Me)" to be his equivalent to Smokey Robinson's "My Girl". Not only did it become The Tempts biggest selling single, it also helped to inspire Smokey's own "Cruisin" in 1979.

In terms of sheer beauty,i would have to say that indeed these two classics are neck and neck and still stand the test of time.

I prefer my girl but just my imagination is an exquisite song

I think Norman was more known for the funkier songs but he was definitely capable of songs of great beauty too

"You're My Everything" gives "Just My Imagination" a run for its money, but, in my opinion, "I Wish It Would Rain" beats it,

"Please Return Your Love to Me" is one I'd throw in the mix.

I love “My Girl”, but “Just My Imagination” gets the W in this round. The main reason is that it the latter isn’t played as much as much as the former. Not to mention Eddie’s flawless lead and I always look forward to hearing Paul Williams sing the first line of the bridge. As great as “My Girl” is, it’s almost always the go to Temptations song for Movies,TV, Karaoke, etc. Which makes it easier to go with “Just My Imagination”

It's just something about[my girl]that just makes it....it!!! Maybe it's just the way david sings it..the temps greatest song of all time.

"Just My Imagination" is one of the few songs that can match "My Girl" in my opinion

If i may,one song that gets little mention because it was a[b-side]but one of the most breath taking songs by the temps is their rendition of mary wells-what love has joined..eddie at his best!!