[REMOVE ADS]

Four Tops -Tonight I'm Gonna Love You All Over[[acapella)

This is what singing and harmonizing is all about! There were none better in my opinion!!!

Was there another group that harmonies as tight as these?

None,not even the classic temps could out harmonize the four tops!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    None,not even the classic temps could out harmonize the four tops!
    I am so happy to hear you say that. You know how much I love the Temptations, but I have never heard a group that were not biologically related harmonize this well! The Four Tops were truly amazing! They deserve more honor than they have received.

The way Levi is able to take the lead and then step back into the harmony seamlessly is just incredible to me.

Marv,you know that i love the temps as much as you,and have seen both classic groups,but no the tops get the nod..now the only group that is perhaps as good on pure harmony is the mills brothers,and we're going a long way back!!

Marv,you know that i love the temps as much as you,and have seen both classic groups,but no the tops get the nod..now the only group that is perhaps as good on pure harmony is the mills brothers,and we're going a long way back!!
    Oh I remember the Mills Brothers in their original formation and when they would replace a brother with one of the sons or nephews. They were excellent. It's just that the Tops were closer to my era and I got the chance to know them as people after I got to know them as artists. They were REAL dudes that could SANG! I mean it was not even a little difficult for them. They would just break it down and sing whatever you could throw at them.

When this song and album came out, I had just been out of college a few months. I went about this and The Temptations "Back to Basics" and DeBarge's "Time Will Reveal" all at the same time in the Fall of 1983. I enjoyed each of the albums, but I kept coming back to the Four Tops. Maybe because their line up had been together for so long that they just knew how to sing together. I don't know how to describe it, but they were much greater than even they ever gave themselves credit for. They were fun loving guys that loved to sing. No pretentiousness or airs of "superiority" about them. Heck, I remember seeing Levi's wife drop him off curbside at Detroit Metro Airport and he was dragging his own luggage while I was waiting for my Dad to pick me up LOL!

The best pure harmonizing group in soul music history.

Another thing, this should be proof positive to any of those people that believe the Four Tops or other Motown groups needed the help of the Andantes or anyone else. They were only used when the producer wanted to achieved something he had in his head. These here are SINGERS! VOCALISTS of highest caliber in American and Soul Music!

Right on marv,right on.

Right on marv,right on.
    JAI if you [[and I am sure you do) understand how some of this, some of their music has gotten me through some of the toughest times, you will understand my great appreciation for these "untrained kids" that came from right off the corners of Detroit! Now they are legends and sadly, too many of them are also gone now. The Four Tops, as people would make laugh until my sides hurt. I can't even post some of things they would say in conversation on this forum because it would be viewed the wrong way. They were like your uncles at a family BBQ. I told Levi Jr recently how much his Dad and the guys music helped me and he understood.

Marv,you lucky to have known them personally.

Marv,you lucky to have known them personally.
    I know that now. Back in the day we took folks for granted like the day would never come........