[REMOVE ADS]

David Ruffin -My Whole World Ended [[The Moment You Left Me) Thoughts?

This recording is one of the all time great Motown classics. I have always thought that maybe it was written with David's departure for the Temptations in mind. I know there have been songs released by Motown that appears to mirror what was happening at the time with the artists. What are thoughts about this?

1. Yes indeed; David Ruffin's "My Whole World Ended [[The Moment You Left Me)" is an all time classic. The song set the bar really high for David's solo career after he was forced to leave The Temptations [[and it would be another six years before he would another major hit with "Walk Away From Love").

2. I'm not sure if "My Whole World Ended" was written with David's leaving The Tempts in mind but it's surely a coincidence.

3. Another 'coincidental' song is The Temptations' "Superstar [[Remember How You Got Where You Are)" which over the years has been seen as a hint to both Eddie Kendricks & David Ruffin over their departures from the group.

I have no thoughts to share, other than I LOVE this song!
    Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    1. Yes indeed; David Ruffin's "My Whole World Ended [[The Moment You Left Me)" is an all time classic. The song set the bar really high for David's solo career after he was forced to leave The Temptations [[and it would be another six years before he would another major hit with "Walk Away From Love").

2. I'm not sure if "My Whole World Ended" was written with David's leaving The Tempts in mind but it's surely a coincidence.

3. Another 'coincidental' song is The Temptations' "Superstar [[Remember How You Got Where You Are)" which over the years has been seen as a hint to both Eddie Kendricks & David Ruffin over their departures from the group.
    Interesting Motown Eddie in regards to "Superstar". I always thought that if you change just a few of the words to "My World Ended the Moment You Left Me", it could easily about the Temptations and David's leaving.

Remember "Gladys Knight and the Pips" song "Neither One of Us" being released just as the group was leaving Motown?

Agreed. It is in my top 10 Motown songs, and Ruffin's performance set the bar so high that he was unable to ever surpass it despite some wonderful attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Interesting Motown Eddie in regards to "Superstar". I always thought that if you change just a few of the words to "My World Ended the Moment You Left Me", it could easily about the Temptations and David's leaving.

Remember "Gladys Knight and the Pips" song "Neither One of Us" being released just as the group was leaving Motown?
    Of course I remember Gladys Knight & the Pips' "Neither One Of Us" coming out just as their departure from Motown was announced in early 1973. Now that's a heck of a coincidence [[but we must remember that Gladys did not want go to Motown in the first place so I'll always picture her as the one who wanted to be "the first to say goodbye" when the group got a better deal at Buddah Records).

Of course I remember Gladys Knight & the Pips' "Neither One Of Us" coming out just as their departure from Motown was announced in early 1973. Now that's a heck of a coincidence [[but we must remember that Gladys did not want go to Motown in the first place so I'll always picture her as the one who wanted to be "the first to say goodbye" when the group got a better deal at Buddah Records).
    That's right. She was out voted by the guys.

Yep,you can hear the sadness in david's voice as though he's admitting that he made a big mistake,of course legend has it that the song was intended as the temps next song if david had stayed.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Yep,you can hear the sadness in david's voice as though he's admitting that he made a big mistake,of course legend has it that the song was intended as the temps next song if david had stayed.
    Ummm.....now that's interesting. If the Tempts had recorded it, you think it would have been as big of a hit?

don't know that its true but I heard that the song was actually written with the Four Tops in mind.David sure made it his own, I bought the follow-=up too, but it was not a hit. "Walk Away From Love" was a hell of a record.

ummm.....now that's interesting. If the tempts had recorded it, you think it would have been as big of a hit?
    now marv,you're as big a temps fan as me,you already know the answer!

Quite interesting you mention Neither one of us and My Whole World Ended..Arguably the two greatest performances by a male and female at Motown!

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    I have no thoughts to share, other than I LOVE this song!
    Darin
    Me too Darin, my thoughts exactly

I might add the word "heavenly" actually
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 04-30-2018 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Me too Darin, my thoughts exactly

I might add the word "heavenly" actually
    This is on my list as the 20 most "Motown" of Motown songs. It just has "it".

It's up there as one of my fave motown songs. Period.

Great song by David, as was much of his solo output, and whilst I'm glad to have heard said songs, was equally endeared with his Temptations Leads.....Legendary vocalist, and a very sad loss to his very appreciative audience......

I always loved that flute intro to the song.

I always liked "I've Lost Everything I've Ever Loved" slightly better than "My Whole World Ended" but then I probably liked "Walk Away From Love" best of all.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I always liked "I've Lost Everything I've Ever Loved" slightly better than "My Whole World Ended" but then I probably liked "Walk Away From Love" best of all.
    "Walk Away From Love" is in a class by itself. It is also one of the records from Motown's last great across the board period of 1975-76. In that time frame, they had multiple artists hit the Top 40 like they had done in the 1960s.

For me, this was David's last great solo recording. I bought the album to in 1979:

I love that flute intro also, however, it sure did get a little painful to my ears on that high note. LOL It reminds me of the introduction to "You Gave Me Love" as recorded by that famous female trio.

The song, as a composition and production, is what I consider one of those Motown powerful masterpieces.

Norman Whitfield was still getting R&B chart top five hits and pop chart top 20 hits on the group just before David left, so I think it would have been unlikely to remove Whitfield from the driving seat, especially when Fuqua and Bristol had never had a single release on the group

Every time I hear that song, I always think it wasn't intentional towards Eddie & David. Doesn't make much sense to me. Definitely a coincidence more than anything. Especially since David HIMSELF covered it a couple years later!

Back to My Whole World Ended, definitely a high caliber song. I just wished Motown worked harder with David to make sure the hits continued. Despite his great talent, he was really stuck in a rut with a label that increasingly didn't know what to do with him especially when he began to do great tricks with his voice [[including occasionally hitting the whistle register).

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    don't know that its true but I heard that the song was actually written with the Four Tops in mind.David sure made it his own, I bought the follow-=up too, but it was not a hit. "Walk Away From Love" was a hell of a record.
    Would make sense. I think the story that went around that the Tempts were gonna record it was false since the record was written in late '68 and David was long gone by that point. Plus the Tempts were only working with Norman at this time.

This song was on the radio a lot when it came out. I use to hear it often on WKLR and of CKLW. Strange, but back then I had no idea that people all over the country, all over the World were listening to it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Every time I hear that song, I always think it wasn't intentional towards Eddie & David. Doesn't make much sense to me. Definitely a coincidence more than anything. Especially since David HIMSELF covered it a couple years later!

Back to My Whole World Ended, definitely a high caliber song. I just wished Motown worked harder with David to make sure the hits continued. Despite his great talent, he was really stuck in a rut with a label that increasingly didn't know what to do with him especially when he began to do great tricks with his voice [[including occasionally hitting the whistle register).
    According to Unsung's David Ruffin episode, Motown might've held on to him as a solo artist but they weren't going to bust their asses as to make him a star [[after being ousted by The Temptations, inquiring about the group's finances, seeking a release from Motown & an accounting of his money and missing gigs on the road). If I remember the quote correctly, one of the folks interviewed for Unsung stated that "they had a way of putting their foot on you until you do the right thing").

According to Unsung's David Ruffin episode, Motown might've held on to him as a solo artist but they weren't going to bust their asses as to make him a star [[after being ousted by The Temptations, inquiring about the group's finances, seeking a release from Motown & an accounting of his money and missing gigs on the road). If I remember the quote correctly, one of the folks interviewed for Unsung stated that "they had a way of putting their foot on you until you do the right thing").
    From my understanding, David Ruffin was "suspended" for not promoting this song!!!

It has been said that after Florence Ballard had been ousted from the Supremes, Motown was going to offer her a solo contract too.

It has been said that after Florence Ballard had been ousted from the Supremes, Motown was going to offer her a solo contract too.
    I did not know this. Is there any reason why she did not get it? All I heard is that she was blackballed by Motown and they tried to prevent her ABC recordings from happening.

As for David's solo career at Motown, I think he did pretty well, especially considering the way that he left the Tempts. One of my all time favorite songs was Walk Away From Love

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I did not know this. Is there any reason why she did not get it? All I heard is that she was blackballed by Motown and they tried to prevent her ABC recordings from happening.
    Both Gordy and Flo have confirmed that she was offered a solo contract upon her exit from the group. She wisely chose to turn it down, figuring, I suppose, that if she couldn't get support in the group, why would she get it as a solo at the same company headed by Gordy? Makes you think how different David's initial career would have been had he opted for somewhere else too.

I first heard “My Whole World Ended” on the UK album “16 Big Hits Volume 8” when I got a mono pressing for very little money from WH Smith at the time when EMI disposed of all of their mono stock. The album was a fold-down, so I got to hear the album mix, which I prefer. The string arrangement is so good and so achingly sad that it’s a shame to miss it out from the first verse of the single mix.

This track didn’t get airplay on Radio 1, so it bombed in the UK. There ain’t no justice!
    Last edited by Sotosound; 05-07-2018 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Accuracy

Okay... I don't know if anyone brought this up but David Ruffin actually was signed to Motown before he got with the Temptations. He and Jimmy joined the label the same year [[1963) but David was more interested in being a sixth Temptation than to be a solo artist at the time. Can't really compare it to Flo.

But when he did leave, he did wanna leave but Motown basically was like "you owe us". So he decided on a solo career to keep it moving. David was gonna initially sue Motown like Mary Wells did [[Flo didn't sue Motown until 1971 for the label failing to pay her royalties and then the money she did get, her lawyer RAN OFF with the monies!) immediately after they decided to leave but BG didn't want another Mary Wells situation.

Quote Originally Posted by dvus7 View Post
    From my understanding, David Ruffin was "suspended" for not promoting this song!!!
    That doesn't sound right. Unsung literally showed David performing the song on some TV show so if he didn't promote the song, explain that performance. And the song was a hit. I believe Ruff's drug addiction and absence from club gigs played a huge part in why Motown decided not to promote him. He wanted his way and if he didn't, he just didn't do that. People talk about Marvin Gaye rebelling but Ruff made Marvin look like Prince Charming lmao

Ruff was a NUT.

Actually,david wasn't a group guy so much as he saw an opportunity and took it,the temps were a young group with no hits and a cancer in the group[al bryant]his cousin[melvin franklin]didn't want david in the group because he knew that david would use the group as a springboard for his own career,yes they both needed each other and became legends but in the long run david didn't care about the group.

Actually,david wasn't a group guy so much as he saw an opportunity and took it,the temps were a young group with no hits and a cancer in the group[al bryant]his cousin[melvin franklin]didn't want david in the group because he knew that david would use the group as a springboard for his own career,yes they both needed each other and became legends but in the long run david didn't care about the group.
    David was a solo artist for years before joining the Temptations.

With how many hits marv?

That's true. I'm surprised they didn't show that in the film. The film had it like Melvin just went along with it [[which was another complaint I had in the film; I'm sure Melvin was a Teddy Bear in real life but still, the film made him seem REAL docile). But yeah David wanted a quick springboard to be a star and he definitely had a huge ego. If it was up to him, he knocked most of them out of the way while he sang by himself only to bring Eddie with him lol

You're right, he was never a group player.

With how many hits marv?
    He didn't have any hits before joining the Temptations to my knowledge.

That's true. I'm surprised they didn't show that in the film. The film had it like Melvin just went along with it [[which was another complaint I had in the film; I'm sure Melvin was a Teddy Bear in real life but still, the film made him seem REAL docile). But yeah David wanted a quick springboard to be a star and he definitely had a huge ego. If it was up to him, he knocked most of them out of the way while he sang by himself only to bring Eddie with him lol

You're right, he was never a group player.
    "Ain't nobody coming to see you Otis" hehehehehehehehehe!

"ain't nobody coming to see you otis" hehehehehehehehehe!
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..you ain't right marv,haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

That became a huge meme, didn't it?

"Without me, The Temptations would just be a group IN SEARCH of a David Ruffin..."

"I MADE y'all a$$es" [[when The Tempts fired him lmao)

You could arguably make the same point about Johnny Gill. Both pre-NE and post-NE. It's only recently, his voice has caught up to his age, Soul of a Woman, for instance.

That became a huge meme, didn't it?

"Without me, The Temptations would just be a group IN SEARCH of a David Ruffin..."

"I MADE y'all a$$es" [[when The Tempts fired him lmao)
    I lurve the stark purple/blue backlighting on the "Without me..." scene. Makes the scene even more pivotal. Taking off his glasses, "Come on, Blue! Tell ''' I'm still in the group?!"

And the firing scene, at Hitsville, he shreds the pink slip. Then, mean mugs the fellas at the glass front. But the subtle change of expression, from anger to a smirk/smile is Oscar- worthy, in my book! Leon, you go boy!

Take another look at that scene,when he turns away from the window he damn near breaks down but recovers,as you say great acting from leon,and he darn near got an emmy for it too.

It's an incredible song. It veers dangerously close to being overproduced, but Fuqua and Bristol knew how to reign all those multiple elements in to craft an record that kicks you in your gut from the first second.

Unfortunately, to my mind, David caught an the tail of an unexpected comet. I don't believe Motown really had much intention of marketing David very much after all the tribulations they and David went through. "My Whole World" was a song that, like Gladys Knight & The Pips' "Grapevine" went over like gangbusters despite Motown not really giving it much push initially.

The other thing that hurt was when David went from top producers to the second-tier writers/producers. Motown wasn't promoting much by those writers, so no matter how good any of the songs may have been, David was going to end up like the Fantastic Four, Spinners and all those other B groups.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    It's an incredible song. It veers dangerously close to being overproduced, but Fuqua and Bristol knew how to reign all those multiple elements in to craft an record that kicks you in your gut from the first second.

Unfortunately, to my mind, David caught an the tail of an unexpected comet. I don't believe Motown really had much intention of marketing David very much after all the tribulations they and David went through. "My Whole World" was a song that, like Gladys Knight & The Pips' "Grapevine" went over like gangbusters despite Motown not really giving it much push initially.

The other thing that hurt was when David went from top producers to the second-tier writers/producers. Motown wasn't promoting much by those writers, so no matter how good any of the songs may have been, David was going to end up like the Fantastic Four, Spinners and all those other B groups.
    Right! If with all the soul/structure/foundation that The Funk Bros & Andantes brought to BG's "sound"and still only got a modicum of love/respect/recognition & appreciation; what hope did the "B groups" have?

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Right! If with all the soul/structure/foundation that The Funk Bros & Andantes brought to BG's "sound"and still only got a modicum of love/respect/recognition & appreciation; what hope did the "B groups" have?
    And that's the shame of it. A lot of those B groups did some pretty good tunes at Motown, but with nobody out there to call attention to those records and sell them, nobody ever knew about them. Adam White's West Grand blog has a fantastic article that really explains a bit of what had to happen behind the scenes just to get those records some public attention. https://www.adampwhite.com/westgrandblog/soulful-gordon