[REMOVE ADS]

Canada: Diana Ross, her days with the Supremes

"You've recently lost one of your number and replaced her," Jackson said.

Ross described Ballard as "not really lost, she's decided that she wanted to go into something a little bit different."

Uh huh, ok Diane.........

Interesting vintage interviews. I'll play the interview with Diana and Mary later.

Love how she calls herself Diane, says how wonderful Cindy is and keeps warmly referring to Mary throughout.

Obviously the most warm and gracious Supreme!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Love how she calls herself Diane, says how wonderful Cindy is and keeps warmly referring to Mary throughout.

Yes. That's why Diana remains the megastar that she is.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Yes. That's why Diana remains the megastar that she is.
    She is an oldies act.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She is an oldies act.
    But not as old as your tired old act which is really played out here.

She is an oldies act.
    Diana has a life, kids, grandbabies, money, glory - you have your unhappiness. Mary bested you on that one too. Are you allowed at Mary's concerts?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

In the words of another Supreme: Honey, I don't know 'bout all that.

She is an oldies act.
    Aren't they all at that age? And if she's an oldies act, doesn't that make Mary Wilson one also? And the FLOS? And Martha Reeves? And Stevie Wonder? And...etc....

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Aren't they all at that age? And if she's an oldies act, doesn't that make Mary Wilson one also? And the FLOS? And Martha Reeves? And Stevie Wonder? And...etc....
    Shit, Mary's been on the oldies circuit for years. Ain't nobody deluding themselves over that fact. Diana Ross is an oldies act and has been one since the 90s whether she or her fans know or will acknowledge that. She should have gotten the hint when part of her audience would walk out right after she completed her Supremes medley of hits.

She is an oldies act.
    Of course she is an oldies act. So are Stevie, Smokey, Gladys, Dionne, Patti, Martha, The Four Tops, Temptations, and numerous other legendary 60's acts, so what is your point? She is also a megastar, and always will be. Deal with it.

She is what she is... Miss Ross, pure and simple. We are lucky to have such a woman in our lives.
    That some people can't stand that, makes me even happier

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Of course she is an oldies act. So are Stevie, Smokey, Gladys, Dionne, Patti, Martha, The Four Tops, Temptations, and numerous other legendary 60's acts, so what is your point? She is also a megastar, and always will be. Deal with it.
    I'm not sure about categorizing Diana and the other solo performers here as oldies acts. I think they have all reached a point in lifelong careers where they are today's iteration of Ella-Frank-Tony-Sarah etc. My interpretation of the term 'oldies act' is more limited, perhaps meaning a solo or group that had a hit [[or several) over a brief period of time and in one genre of music only.

Of course Diana Ross is not an oldies act. She is not a one-hit wonder, a has been or a never was. She was able to fill a 6000 seat Radio City Music Hall that sold seats a premium prices.

Bette Midler selling out a Broadway Show for over a year, Billy Joel filling MSG, Barbra about to return to MSG. Oldies acts? I think not

There is an oldies circuit. Oldies acts perform in venues in the Oldies circuit. Often they have to share billing with other acts, and tickets usually sell at a modest thirty-nine dollars or so. And often times the seats are only one third filled and the audience is asked to move up front to make the performers more comfortable and feel up close and personal.

The audiences go to these shows to try to capture their youth. Sometimes it works. Sometimes the performers are so past their prime that the audience is sad thinking they too are past their prime. I know. I went to a few of these shows .

But the oldies circuit is not the bottom ot the entertainment barrel. There is one more level. The nursing home venue. I visited someone in a nursing home once and saw an oldies act from the fifties entertaining the residents. But I saw joy on some of the faces of residents who still knew what was going on.

I hope that the entertainer also saw that joy and was still getting joy from entertaining audiences. Sadly, I have since forgotten who that entertainer was. I hope that does not mean that I, too, will soon be a nursing home resident.

Milven I like your definition of an oldies act. I think it does fit some acts of a certain time period but not others. I wouldn't think of Diana as an oldies act.

Once you've attained iconic status, you're not an oldies act.

^ So true!

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Of course Diana Ross is not an oldies act. She is not a one-hit wonder, a has been or a never was. She was able to fill a 6000 seat Radio City Music Hall that sold seats a premium prices.

Bette Midler selling out a Broadway Show for over a year, Billy Joel filling MSG, Barbra about to return to MSG. Oldies acts? I think not

There is an oldies circuit. Oldies acts perform in venues in the Oldies circuit. Often they have to share billing with other acts, and tickets usually sell at a modest thirty-nine dollars or so. And often times the seats are only one third filled and the audience is asked to move up front to make the performers more comfortable and feel up close and personal.

The audiences go to these shows to try to capture their youth. Sometimes it works. Sometimes the performers are so past their prime that the audience is sad thinking they too are past their prime. I know. I went to a few of these shows .

But the oldies circuit is not the bottom ot the entertainment barrel. There is one more level. The nursing home venue. I visited someone in a nursing home once and saw an oldies act from the fifties entertaining the residents. But I saw joy on some of the faces of residents who still knew what was going on.

I hope that the entertainer also saw that joy and was still getting joy from entertaining audiences. Sadly, I have since forgotten who that entertainer was. I hope that does not mean that I, too, will soon be a nursing home resident.
    Excellent, expanded description of oldies vs. superstar acts.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Once you've attained iconic status, you're not an oldies act.
    She is an old woman, singing old songs while wearing old dresses........Oldies Act!

I'm guessing most of us on this site are oldies...but goodies

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I'm guessing most of us on this site are oldies...but goodies
    Exactly! LOL!!!!!

So according to you if your biography is on this site you are considered an oldies act? Well I guess Stevie Wonder is also an oldies act!
    https://www.oldies.com/artist-view/Stevie-Wonder.html
    Most legendary acts have their biography listed on this site. I’m sorry Mary Wilson isn’t listed on this site!
    Last edited by vgalindo; 06-27-2019 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I'm not sure about categorizing Diana and the other solo performers here as oldies acts. I think they have all reached a point in lifelong careers where they are today's iteration of Ella-Frank-Tony-Sarah etc. My interpretation of the term 'oldies act' is more limited, perhaps meaning a solo or group that had a hit [[or several) over a brief period of time and in one genre of music only.
    When i describe Diana and those other great acts as oldies acts i am in no way taking a dig at them. I would also describe Tony Bennett, The Beach Boys and Streisand as oldies acts, but they are also legends who are still capable of filling concert halls and in some cases selling a decent amount of records.
    Perhaps our definition of an oldies act is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    When i describe Diana and those other great acts as oldies acts i am in no way taking a dig at them. I would also describe Tony Bennett, The Beach Boys and Streisand as oldies acts, but they are also legends who are still capable of filling concert halls and in some cases selling a decent amount of records.
    Perhaps our definition of an oldies act is different.
    Yes, it could be an 'across-the-pond' difference in interpretation; here in the USA 'oldies act' is a bit of a kindly pejorative! Hope you have something wonderful planned for this summer day!