[REMOVE ADS]

NYPOST review 2019/06/23 Diana Ross knows what her songs mean to the lgbtq community

Nice story for sure!
    Darin

Yes, just wonderful. And the picture. What a glorious talent. So nice that Diana honored my people in this important month of this important year.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Yes, just wonderful. And the picture. What a glorious talent. So nice that Diana honored my people in this important month of this important year.
    ???? Fake news. She opened this concert with the same song and in the same way she has for years, on any other day , at any other place.... ?

"The audience knew that they were in the presence of musical greatness. She is worth seeing in concert whenever she comes to each town. Her live set garnered an A rating."

At first, Diana was told not to release the song because of the pro-gay message by Frankie Crocker [[if I'm not mistaken). She cried about it to Nile Rodgers. I don't know who convinced her to keep it on there. Either Nile or Motown or maybe Diana knew she had a gay audience and decided "to hell with it". Whatever the case, it DID become a gay anthem [[and the second gay anthem associated with Motown after "I Was Born This Way" three years earlier).

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    At first, Diana was told not to release the song because of the pro-gay message by Frankie Crocker [[if I'm not mistaken). She cried about it to Nile Rodgers. I don't know who convinced her to keep it on there. Either Nile or Motown or maybe Diana knew she had a gay audience and decided "to hell with it". Whatever the case, it DID become a gay anthem [[and the second gay anthem associated with Motown after "I Was Born This Way" three years earlier).
    not sure it was second....second was probably TIE ME TO A TREE HANDCUFF ME lol!!

But is anybody arguing that I"M COMING OUT is or isn't a gay anthem? It was intended as such and received in the clubs as such from day one , I can testify as I was there amongst the dance crowds , watching the girls throw their hand up in the air!!
    Coming out [[of the closest) was not in any way a new concept by 1980, quite a common phrase actually, and with Diana's already established legions of gay followers there's no way she did not have an understanding of what she was inferencing, and since disco was already being hassled as being gay music, there's no way that Ashford and Simpson didn't know this dance record with this theme would play well in those targeted clubs and they were purposely doing just that, targeting them , because that's where hits can be launched.
    I"M COMING OUT is clever in that its lyrics are purposely vague enough as to be received from different angles and can be inclusive for all , certainly teenaged girls have had coming out parties since...?.....and what better song from her repertoire, should Diana choose to announce the start of her concert and that she's "coming out " on stage.
    And she's used this practice to start her shows for years [[every one of them perhaps?), meaning doing so this time has nothing to do with any coinciding gay festivities happening up the street , unless Diana said it somehow did, but I see no quotes from the NY Post article from her stating such , or that Diana somehow performed it differently emphasizing it as such, but then the writer takes the liberty of thinking on Diana's behalf more than once in the article ....thereby creating a fake news angle around what is really just a common occurrence at a Diana Ross show.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-25-2019 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    not sure it was second....second was probably TIE ME TO A TREE HANDCUFF ME lol!!

But is anybody arguing that I"M COMING OUT is or isn't a gay anthem? It was intended as such and received in the clubs as such from day one , I can testify as I was there amongst the dance crowds , watching the girls throw their hand up in the air!!
    Coming out [[of the closest) was not in any way a new concept by 1980, quite a common phrase actually, and with Diana's already established legions of gay followers there's no way she did not have an understanding of what she was inferencing, and since disco was already being hassled as being gay music, there's no way that Ashford and Simpson didn't know this dance record with this theme would play well in those targeted clubs and they were purposely doing just that, targeting them , because that's where hits can be launched.
    I"M COMING OUT is clever in that its lyrics are purposely vague enough as to be received from different angles and can be inclusive for all , certainly teenaged girls have had coming out parties since...?.....and what better song from her repertoire, should Diana choose to announce the start of her concert and that she's "coming out " on stage.
    And she's used this practice to start her shows for years [[every one of them perhaps?), meaning doing so this time has nothing to do with any coinciding gay festivities happening up the street , unless Diana said it somehow did, but I see no quotes from the NY Post article from her stating such , or that Diana somehow performed it differently emphasizing it as such, but then the writer takes the liberty of thinking on Diana's behalf more than once in the article ....thereby creating a fake news angle around what is really just a common occurrence at a Diana Ross show.
    Not in every show. I have seen her live a few times opening with “Ain’t no mountain” and also “ The Boss”. But you are correct the majority of the time it has been “I’m coming out”.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

So you're saying it was a fable? Hmm...

I do know Nile said he wrote it after seeing drag queens at the men's room of a L.A. disco.