[REMOVE ADS]

Talking "There'll Never Be" another act like Switch

Switch is back!😀

After a long hiatus, the ballad-heavy Motown act is back, doing they're thing! Performing as group in their home town of Akron, Ohio.

Sweet soul at it's finest!

Very good. They were very popular when I was in college. There is also an upcoming movie on the life of their former lead singer, Bobby DeBarge.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Very good. They were very popular when I was in college. There is also an upcoming movie on the life of their former lead singer, Bobby DeBarge.
    Yes, it airs Saturday. It doesn’t look very good though.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Yes, it airs Saturday. It doesn’t look very good though.
    I was hoping that they'd do Bobby and the Debarges story justice. Oh well.

I was hoping that they'd do Bobby and the Debarges story justice. Oh well.
    I agree with you,jboy88. Unfortunately, though, early Switch and the DeBarges were always involved in self-destructive behavior! How could justice be done in that case! It's Injustice!! So much talent in that family! Probably remember when El resurfaced a few years ago. Even had a banging duet with Faith Evans. It made you think the cycle would finally be broken. Not so. The only other promise was Chico and then a daughter [[I believe) of Bobby, cut an album before El. I think I was perhaps the only person who heard of it! Let alone streamed it! So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    I agree with you,jboy88. Unfortunately, though, early Switch and the DeBarges were always involved in self-destructive behavior! How could justice be done in that case! It's Injustice!! So much talent in that family! Probably remember when El resurfaced a few years ago. Even had a banging duet with Faith Evans. It made you think the cycle would finally be broken. Not so. The only other promise was Chico and then a daughter [[I believe) of Bobby, cut an album before El. I think I was perhaps the only person who heard of it! Let alone streamed it! So sad.
    Are you referring to Kristinia DeBarge, James’ daughter? Her first single went to an impressive Top 20 pop in the U.S. and Canada, so don’t cry for her, Argentina! [[Although the test is...who really remembers it?)

I knew El, at least before he got famous. We use to like the same girl. We all use to go to happy hour at Nichols sometimes in Southfield. If you understood they way those guys had to grow up, you'd easily understand what you call their self-destructive behavior. I'm excusing it, but there is a clear reason for it in their case.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Are you referring to Kristinia DeBarge, James’ daughter? Her first single went to an impressive Top 20 pop in the U.S. and Canada, so don’t cry for her, Argentina! [[Although the test is...who really remembers it?)
    I never listened to anything by the younger DeBarge's after Chico. I saw him when he had his first record "Talk to Me Baby" at the legendary Copa, the original one on E. 60th in Manhattan.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    That's her, sansradio! Wow! Top 20! Thanks.

I knew El, at least before he got famous. We use to like the same girl. We all use to go to happy hour at Nichols sometimes in Southfield. If you understood they way those guys had to grow up, you'd easily understand what you call their self-destructive behavior. I'm excusing it, but there is a clear reason for it in their case.
    Thanks for the backstory, Marv! I only had the papers/ fan magazines to go by. You lived it.

That group is nothing without Bobby. I'm sorry.

The preview of Bobby's film didn't look good, I agree. He sure didn't talk like that either!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

The preview of Bobby's film didn't look good, I agree. He sure didn't talk like that either!
    Guys, check out Bobby jr.'s 2013 single, For You!
    Don't know if he has recorded anything else.

Guys, check out Bobby jr.'s 2013 single, For You!
    Don't know if he has recorded anything else.
    I think I heard it. I heard he sounds an awful lot like his legendary pops.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

I figure it would be tough to cast someone that can truly capture Bobby’s true essence. They probably could have sped up or raise the pitch in his voice, but he might have ended up sounding like a chipmunk. The same problem occurred casting his bass counterpart, Melvin Franklin.

Y’all I’m 45 minutes into this film. And so far, it’s even more underwhelming than I thought it would be. Who thought casting Big Boi as BG wasn’t a good idea? And that actor playing Jermaine Jackson, no just no.