[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Review ... Radio City Music Hall

Diana was in absolute top form at tonight's concert. She sang each song perfectly. There was not a wobble, nor flat note, nor sharp note to be heard. I was amazed at the clarity and quality of her voice. She sang each song like she did 20 and 30 years ago. Her vocals were loud and clear.

She looked youthful and invigorated. I was in the first row of the orchestra, and saw her unclose for 90 minutes. She looked fantastic. She was thin and was not overly made up. Twice our eyes met and she gave me a thumbs up both times.

She gave 110%. There was not a minute on stage where she was not looking at the audience to see if we were happy. She worked very hard to please the audience, and she did. There were 2 gowns I have not seen before. No new songs.

There was a Q&A, and she talked about the new album saying it was still in the talking stages. She said she only wants to sing positive songs, and will not record sad songs. I happen to love her vocals on sad songs. Someone else asked if she has any of the gowns from the Supremes' years, and she said no. She said she gave them to the new Supremes to wear.

My tickets were very expensive, and I got my money's worth.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 06-22-2019 at 10:46 PM.

I attended tonight's show as well and concur with your review. Diana was in top form, both looking and sounding great. I only wish the show was a bit longer. But she gave a solid 90 minutes.

I was in the tenth row, right in front of Rhonda, her husband, her son, and Bob Ellis.

Great review! Love that you loved the concert. Wished I was there, too.

Thank you for the review. The last time I saw her in Vegas I was also so amazed by her vocals and everyone around me was talking how good she sounded.

I have seen a clip of her singing The Boss tonight and it's a very strong performance

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Diana was in absolute top form at tonight's concert. She sang each song perfectly. There was not a wobble, nor flat note, nor sharp note to be heard. I was amazed at the clarity and quality of her voice. She sang each song like she did 20 and 30 years ago. Her vocals were loud and clear.

She looked youthful and invigorated. I was in the first row of the orchestra, and saw her unclose for 90 minutes. She looked fantastic. She was thin and was not overly made up. Twice our eyes met and she gave me a thumbs up both times.

She gave 110%. There was not a minute on stage where she was not looking at the audience to see if we were happy. She worked very hard to please the audience, and she did. There were 2 gowns I have not seen before. No new songs.

There was a Q&A, and she talked about the new album saying it was still in the talking stages. She said she only wants to sing positive songs, and will not record sad songs. I happen to love her vocals on sad songs. Someone else asked if she has any of the gowns from the Supremes' years, and she said no. She said she gave them to the new Supremes to wear.

My tickets were very expensive, and I got my money's worth.
    Lovely review circa. Glad you enjoyed the show. A friend of mine who also attended gave her a similarly positive review. He expressed his disappointment at the lack of new songs but otherwise came away elated.

How wonderful. Wish I could have been there. Our Miss Ross - a wonder for the ages!

Diana's voice sounds so crisp and clear at this concert 'tis a shame she is not recording now.
    It sounds like there is a long way to go before a new album reaches fruition, but at least she talking about the possibilty of one..

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Diana's voice sounds so crisp and clear at this concert 'tis a shame she is not recording now.
    It sounds like there is a long way to go before a new album reaches fruition, but at least she talking about the possibilty of one..
    If it all comes to fruition the new album should be ready for the fall of 2020. That is what i have been told by someone in the know. Fingers crossed.

I was there as well. She looked marvelous. We got five gowns. She even made reference to her weight loss which is very noticeable relative to about 7 years ago.

She seemed especially exuberant. Her voice was clear and strong. So much so, that it is a shame we didn't get "Home" or "Best Years of My Life." No cause for disappointment, she truly delivered. She is invigorated by her 75th year. I think she called it her "Diamond Jubilee." Loved it.

My pet peeve -- I have to say I was annoyed as hell the the crowd stood for the whole show. I was about 4 or 5 rows behind Rhonda and Bob -- front 3rd of orchestra on the aisle -- and I couldn't see sh*t unless I was standing. Tix were too much $$$$ to have to stand for the whole show. I don't begrudge the audience their enthusiasm but...

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I am keeping my expectations low. It sounds very iffy. I giggled when she said that she wanted Stevie to write her a song. I thought back a few decades when she cooed to Arsenio or Donnie Simpson that she was waiting on a song from Stevie to complete her album. That song was "Force Behind The Power" -- which today still sounds like a demo created on a Casio. So I take it all with a grain of salt.

That said, if Mark Ronson produces a Motown album for her -- songs by Marvin, Smokey, Rick James, Debarge, A&S, etc. -- it would be a huge hit. If he gave it the snap, crackle and pop of Amy Winehouse's album, it would be a career achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I was there as well. She looked marvelous. .... Her voice was clear and strong. So much so, that it is a shame we didn't get "Home" or "Best Years of My Life."...

My pet peeve -- I have to say I was annoyed as hell the the crowd stood for the whole show.... I couldn't see sh*t unless I was standing. Tix were too much $$$$ to have to stand for the whole show. I don't begrudge the audience their enthusiasm but...
    I would have had the same complaint. I would hate to have to stand through the whole performance to enjoy a show. But the last few times that I saw her, I sat in second level seats that were almost over stage right. [[Almost like box seats at a Broadway Theatre) So Diana was up close and visible and I was also able to look down and enjoy watching the audience enjoying her.

Too bad she did not sing BEST YEARS. That is one of my favorites. A much better closing number than the tired Reach Out

I was there as well. She looked marvelous. We got five gowns. She even made reference to her weight loss which is very noticeable relative to about 7 years ago.

She seemed especially exuberant. Her voice was clear and strong. So much so, that it is a shame we didn't get "Home" or "Best Years of My Life." No cause for disappointment, she truly delivered. She is invigorated by her 75th year. I think she called it her "Diamond Jubilee." Loved it.

My pet peeve -- I have to say I was annoyed as hell the the crowd stood for the whole show. I was about 4 or 5 rows behind Rhonda and Bob -- front 3rd of orchestra on the aisle -- and I couldn't see sh*t unless I was standing. Tix were too much $$$$ to have to stand for the whole show. I don't begrudge the audience their enthusiasm but...
    I must admit that the standing thing bothers me as well. I love the audience enthusiasm but not everyone is able to stand for such an extended period of time. There was an older woman in the row in front of me and she didn't stand most of the time, so I'm sure the experience wasn't totally satisfying for her. At one point, a younger person helped her stand for a number or two. But for the most part, she stayed seated.

When I see this, it makes me think of my own mother. She took me to my first Diana concert in 1977 and we've gone to a couple of other shows in the following years. She would love to see Diana in concert again but she's older now and has a bad back. Unless I can get first row, I really don't see how it would work.

Another good thing about last night is that she actually had a proper "bow" at the end of the show rather than just walking off with a quick wave as she often does.

[[She said Stevie IS writing new songs for her. Ross is not one to claim things are going to happen in the future just to create a buzz.)

Now, the show's production itself was sparse, and not grand enough for a star of her stature. The production is inexpensive, and it shows. It also travels inexpensively. She added an extra singer for the NY show, but no strings which would have added a rich layer to the sound. When she is off stage changing, the energy level falls dramatically. Her singers and musicians don't cut it being in the spotlight without her.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 06-23-2019 at 11:48 AM.

I agree. I do love the crowds enthusiasm but at the last concert I attended at the Hollywood Bowl the people in front of me were standing for the entire show. Blocking my view. I wasn’t happy. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    [[She said Stevie IS writing new songs for her. Ross is not one to claim things are going to happen in the future just to create a buzz.)
    Then I guess we can look forward to seeing "Naked At The Feast" on the big screen one of these days. She probably has the best intentions but as she said last night the music industry has changed significantly. She cannot make Stevie write her a song -- unless 'Force Behind The Power' could be considered a song -- so we'll see. In September, Stevie came onstage at Anita Baker's show in September and said he'll be working with her to create new music. If it's true, given Anita's temperament and mercurial nature, he has got his hands full right now.

Now, the show's production itself was sparse, and not grand enough for a star of her stature. The production is inexpensive, and it shows. It also travels inexpensively. She added an extra singer for the NY show, but no strings which would have added a rich layer to the sound. When she is off stage changing, the energy level falls dramatically. Her singers and musicians don't cut it being in the spotlight without her.
    I've seen her several times in the last few years, I don't recall the big screen with video images since the "More Today Than Yesterday" tour. It has mostly been used for stills and montages. It actually seemed a bigger production that what she did at The Hollywood Bowl, Long Beach and other SoCal venues. Does she have the big screen in Vegas?

Then I guess we can look forward to seeing "Naked At The Feast" on the big screen one of these days.
    I think what Circa was saying Diana wasn’t saying she was going to be working on a new album to create a buzz. We all know Diana Ross worked really hard on trying to get that movie made and there were too many obstacles. She didn’t talk about the movie to create a buzz. In fact when she realized it wasn’t going to happen. She said it was a lost dream of hers. Same with this album it wasn’t mentioned to create a buzz. She mentioned it because she has every intention on recording a new album. I just hope it comes to fruition.

Then I guess we can look forward to seeing "Naked At The Feast" on the big screen one of these days. She probably has the best intentions but as she said last night the music industry has changed significantly. She cannot make Stevie write her a song -- unless 'Force Behind The Power' could be considered a song -- so we'll see. In September, Stevie came onstage at Anita Baker's show in September and said he'll be working with her to create new music. If it's true, given Anita's temperament and mercurial nature, he has got his hands full right now.

I've seen her several times in the last few years, I don't recall the big screen with video images since the "More Today Than Yesterday" tour. It has mostly been used for stills and montages. It actually seemed a bigger production that what she did at The Hollywood Bowl, Long Beach and other SoCal venues. Does she have the big screen in Vegas?
    Stevie and Anita have worked together previously and are capable of creating sweet music together. I just hope Anita has mellowed somewhat in the intervening years.

Nowadays, album sales are so low that this is probably not Diana's motivation. The money comes from intense touring and spin-off activities, and artists of her generation are not really concerned.
    I have the feeling that all the people who want to work with her do so to honour her and celebrate how she inspires them.

She is likely to put many obstacles and few compromises. Didn't she start by saying saturday night that if the album is made, she would only record "Happy songs"?

Anyway, I can't wait, even if I like mostly sad songs...

First post in a long while but here for a reason, I just returned home to UK after travelling to New York for this Radio City Show and I have to say that I was truly pleased to see how good Miss Ross looked and Sounded, she was confident and happy acknowledging fans she could see in the audience, Yes the content of the show has remained the same for almost 20years but you get a good cross section of a 60year career, No Where did our love go or Baby Love but still 4 Supremes number one hits, can't understand why More Today than Yesterday and I Will Survive are still in the Set but every song had the crowd on their feet and enjoying themselves, this is the 1st time I've seen the Q&S session but it all seems rehearsed as I just watched the Recent Las Vegas Q &A and it was too similar to be a coincidence, my opinion, but on the whole I enjoyed the show, the New York experience, and to see Miss Ross in such good shape physically and vocally was worth every penny I paid. We should all be grateful that we still have some of Motown legends able to perform to what ever audience can make it to see them, so it is up to us Motown Fans to make the effort to Support them ALL !!!!
    I was surprised to hear that Miss Ross voted Julio Ingleas as her favourite duet partner ???? Now that's an awful song in my opinion again !!

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    I was surprised to hear that Miss Ross voted Julio Ingleas as her favourite duet partner ???? Now that's an awful song in my opinion again !!
    aaahh, yes...

I tried to forget that part and then the "...and Lionel" part as well. The biggest chart hit of her career -- written, produced and sung with Lionel -- and it is SECOND to that unremarkable duet with Iglesias. I suppose she was saying she likes Julio more but I wasn't even aware they recorded that song together.

First off, glad to hear Diana delivered. Sounds like a good night was had!

Now,
    I apologize upfront for fixating on something here, but I might be eating crow over my comments in another thread about Diana Ross giving a nod to the LGBT community in this concert.
    I stand by my original assertion that Diana Ross singing I'm Coming Out as her opening song is nothing more than business as usual , but in rereading the NY Post column I see it is also stating that she has converted LOVE CHILD into some sort of a gay inclusionary messaged song by having the gay flag waving in the background behind her while she sings it.
    That to me , is a pretty notable reinterpretation of the song to be put into her show by her , [[& isn't she typically neutral in such areas of topic) and especially with this song --- I'm surprised she'd want to cast her messaged classic , which has always carried such a strong message of its own as originally intended, in a new light of any kind.

To add to my suspicions , I'm seeing nothing of this mentioned by those of you here who attended , which to me would be odd. Isn't this gesture kind of significant? Noteworthy? No one here that attended caught it , or was impressed by it?? Or did it not really happen ?

Luckily , I thought, I found the whole thing posted on youtube. Well unfortunately , the video was shot at an angle where the screen that is "waving the gay flag" is not part of the background , except partially, sort of briefly, at the beginning:

I can't draw a conclusion , is it the gay flag ? Is it psychedelic imagery from the LOVE CHILD era? simply waves of color, a part of other abstract background? ? how long was it on the screen? was it interspersed with other imagery?? if so, of what?

I hope someone who attended can clarify... I defer entirely to you ! And thank you!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-26-2019 at 12:46 AM.

I think it was more psychedelic colour swirls I can't remember there being a rainbow flag as part of the show, but as there were so many around New York ready for Pride I might not have taken it in

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    I think it was more psychedelic colour swirls I can't remember there being a rainbow flag as part of the show, but as there were so many around New York ready for Pride I might not have taken it in
    Thanks for that info, dickiemint ! It's about what I figured. From watching Diana's entire performance of LOVE CHILD on the video I supplied above , I see no deviance in the lyrics from its original version nor in the presentation in her performance of it , no comments , no wink or nod to anybody that "this one's for you". Standard fare, except, actually there is a variance from a completely different angle .... there's a samba infusion to close LOVE CHILD out by, .... hmmm, maybe there was also a Brazilian flag waving during that part ... lol!

So anyway , my sniffer remains pretty good at sorting out such stuff , no crow eating required, fake news created by a special interest person reporting what they wanted to have happen as if it did, ......
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-29-2019 at 05:18 AM.