[REMOVE ADS]

non HDH recordings during DMF years

Once the girls hit with WDOLG, we all know that HDH became their primary production team. at least for the pop songs [[other producers did the early concept albums).

during 2nd half of 64, they only recorded a couple non HDH tracks [[again aside from the concept work)
    *Ooowee Baby with Smokey
    *Come into my palace with Mickey

in 65 they also only did a handful of tracks
    *Take me where you go with Smokey
    *Too much a little too soon with Smokey
    *Slow Down with Clarence Paul

But then in 66, they did a ton of work with other producers:

*Frank Wilson and Hal Davis - It's Not Unusual, Get Ready, This old heart, hang on sloopy, money, shake me, Satisfaction, Mickey's monkey, Uptight, These boots, Can i get a witness.

*smokey & frank they did Misery Makes Its Home

*William Weatherspoon - what becomes of broken hearted

*Slow down [[again) with Clareance Paul

*Just a little misunderstanding - clarence and mickey

*come on and see me with ivy jo hunter, harvey fuqua and johnny bristol

*with a child's heart with Hank Cosby

I find it surprising that during a peak period [[spring and summer 66) when the girls were still hot with HDH that they did so much work with others.

^ Do you think it was to give HDH a break? or were they busy with Four Tops and others? or was Motown/Berry Gordy being democratic and taking chances on the hit-making abilities of all his writers and producers? He did issue that edict about only #1s for the Supremes.

I think a lot of it had to do with giving HDH a break and allowing others an opportunity to do some work with them. HDH may have had a lock on them when it came to singles. A major team like HDH can’t possibly be the sole team for the Supremes, Four Tops, Vandellas, etc. on every thing or else they will get burnt out quickly. If there is a window to work with the girls, a producer will take it even if they know their song may up as filler on an album.

I also wondered if this was around the time of the infamous memo of "nothing but #1 on the sups." the non-HDH sessions came after the [[relative) chart failures of My World and Itching. maybe the decision was to open them up to other producers to see if something new emerged

Also another interesting point, while other producers were accessing the Sups for typical Motown material, HDH was venturing into the concept area with the Broadway to Hollywood sessions. whereas all of the other specialty material prior was non-HDH, it seems that after they first dabbled into this area with the IHAS project, HDH got a chance to go deeper

And BTW don't forget this one produced by Phil Spector.
    The girls were on point!

https://youtu.be/RQ4geGH9O4w

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Once the girls hit with WDOLG, we all know that HDH became their primary production team. at least for the pop songs [[other producers did the early concept albums).

during 2nd half of 64, they only recorded a couple non HDH tracks [[again aside from the concept work)
    *Ooowee Baby with Smokey
    *Come into my palace with Mickey

in 65 they also only did a handful of tracks
    *Take me where you go with Smokey
    *Too much a little too soon with Smokey
    *Slow Down with Clarence Paul

But then in 66, they did a ton of work with other producers:

*Frank Wilson and Hal Davis - It's Not Unusual, Get Ready, This old heart, hang on sloopy, money, shake me, Satisfaction, Mickey's monkey, Uptight, These boots, Can i get a witness.

*smokey & frank they did Misery Makes Its Home

*William Weatherspoon - what becomes of broken hearted

*Slow down [[again) with Clareance Paul

*Just a little misunderstanding - clarence and mickey

*come on and see me with ivy jo hunter, harvey fuqua and johnny bristol

*with a child's heart with Hank Cosby

I find it surprising that during a peak period [[spring and summer 66) when the girls were still hot with HDH that they did so much work with others.
    "Take me where you go" was an excellent record that should have had a release as a single.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvinDK View Post
    And BTW don't forget this one produced by Phil Spector.
    The girls were on point!

https://youtu.be/RQ4geGH9O4w
    Yes, this was a great collab. I always wondered what this session was like.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Yes, this was a great collab. I always wondered what this session was like.
    I don't think the girls were actually in the studio with Phil. I believe he produced the track [[which was also used for the Blossoms' version) and some guy named Jerry produced the girls' vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I don't think the girls were actually in the studio with Phil. I believe he produced the track [[which was also used for the Blossoms' version) and some guy named Jerry produced the girls' vocals.
    Also the version of Jay and the Americans used the same backing track. Both versions -- by Jay and the Americans and by the Blossoms--can be found here:

Some info re THINGS ARE CHANGING.

https://motownjunkies.co.uk/2013/08/07/633/

Thanks Reese and Jaap!