[REMOVE ADS]

Don't Take It Away...Faux QC Meeting

Here's one of the stronger outtakes from the WDOLG session. I'd say easily a great addition to the album, but I'd vote to release it as a single instead of "Run, Run, Run". Great lead by Diana, excellent backing by Flo and Mary. The sound of the record is very contemporary Motown at that point. Yea or nay??

I never paid much attention to this one but it is pretty good. The girls sound great on it, but it doesn't sound like a single to me. Actually, this sounds more like something Martha and the Vandellas would do.

i think had they NOT had Lovelight, this might have done ok. But Lovelight was such a new and different sound for the girls and it did well. So as was Motown policy, the follow up should be similar or build off that.

I wonder if Send Me No Flowers could have been tweaked a bit to be a follow up. I like the story and lyrics here better than Penny Pincher. I just don't think Don't Take has enough oomph to follow up Lovelight

Run Run Run is not a terrible song but they sort of picked the wrong elements to expand on. the additional voices and male singers don't add anything. And while the track to Lovelight is big and there's a lot going on, it'd not muddy. maybe the mixing on Run was too heavy. If you listen to it on the TAMI show, it's kind of a good song. Certainly not a #1 like WDOLG but i think it could have been cleaned up a bit and at least gone top 40.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i think had they NOT had Lovelight, this might have done ok. But Lovelight was such a new and different sound for the girls and it did well. So as was Motown policy, the follow up should be similar or build off that.

I wonder if Send Me No Flowers could have been tweaked a bit to be a follow up. I like the story and lyrics here better than Penny Pincher. I just don't think Don't Take has enough oomph to follow up Lovelight

Run Run Run is not a terrible song but they sort of picked the wrong elements to expand on. the additional voices and male singers don't add anything. And while the track to Lovelight is big and there's a lot going on, it'd not muddy. maybe the mixing on Run was too heavy. If you listen to it on the TAMI show, it's kind of a good song. Certainly not a #1 like WDOLG but i think it could have been cleaned up a bit and at least gone top 40.
    I've also wondered if Send Me No Flowers would have been a better follow-up to Lovelight. It sort of bridges the sounds and styles of Lovelight and Where Did Our Love Go? and, for me, Diana's vocal is more appealing than on Run, Run, Run.

"When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes" was a better record than "Baby Love" in my opinion.

Lovelight is really, IMO, a MRATV knock-off. seems that HDH took the big roaring sound of Heatwave and tried adapting to the sups. worked rather well at first. but i think it was more of a fluke than hitting on a sound for the sups. Where and the follow ups are clearly the "right" sound for the girls

Baby Love was really the song that blew the Supremes and Diana and Motown out of the water - it was a simple song that opened up the world to Motown and the key to it was that first "ooh" from Diana.

But it hasn't aged that well and done live it sounds simple; which is probably why Diana doesn't do it. And it's such a Diana song that it doesn't matter what other tribute artists try and do it in concert.

Lovelight is more interesting to me as well.

i think Baby Love has held up fine with the general population. while certainly a much simpler song and production than later Sup hits, it's still at as iconic of a level as Stop or other well know supremes songs.

most hardcore fans though are probably less excited about it because 1) it's been used to death on all of the compilations and 2) since we spend more time digging through their full recording output, we're more interested and have had more exposure to their more complex recordings

i think Baby Love has held up fine with the general population. while certainly a much simpler song and production than later Sup hits, it's still at as iconic of a level as Stop or other well know supremes songs.

most hardcore fans though are probably less excited about it because 1) it's been used to death on all of the compilations and 2) since we spend more time digging through their full recording output, we're more interested and have had more exposure to their more complex recordings
    On second thought, I agree with you

I love Baby Love. This is the record that caused me to fall in love with Diana Ross’ voice. Most everyone I know who are not die hard Supremes fans love Baby Love. Diana Ross used to always include it in her shows.

i agree, i was just making a playlist on my ipod and added this in place of Run. never cared for that one. like the harmony and i would have released it, at least on the lp.
    have to listen to Send Me No Flowers again. havent heard it in a while but i dont remember thinking much about it but my taste has changed over the years

Great post RanRan. I had forgotten how enjoyable 'Don't take it away' is. It's not a single to my ears, but I would have put it on the WDOLG album in place of Run Run Run. Which I think is painful.

If I were at the QC meeting, gotta say Nay to "Don't Take It Away" and a great big "Yay" to "Run", RanRan, although I would ditch the male back-up vocals. [[BTW, did I once read that those male vocals were actually HDH, or did I dream it somewhere along the line?) Does anyone remember?

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    i agree, i was just making a playlist on my ipod and added this in place of Run. never cared for that one. like the harmony and i would have released it, at least on the lp.
    have to listen to Send Me No Flowers again. havent heard it in a while but i dont remember thinking much about it but my taste has changed over the years
    I love "Send Me No Flowers". Would've made a great album cut but I don't hear it as a single.

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    Great post RanRan. I had forgotten how enjoyable 'Don't take it away' is. It's not a single to my ears, but I would have put it on the WDOLG album in place of Run Run Run. Which I think is painful.
    Lol Wow, painful? Part of me wishes that the original WDOLG album had been split up between the 63 tracks and the 64 tracks. To my ears songs like "He Means the World", "Kiss of Fire", "Crossroads", even "Lovelight" and especially "Run" already sound a bit dated being paired with the evolving Motown Sound of "Baby Love", "Come See About Me", "Ask Any Girl" and of course the title track. Once "Lovelight" hit, it might have been interesting to package an album around it, utilizing the 63 tracks. Then when "Where" hit, doing the same but with more 64 tracks. In the end I love the album because most of the songs on their own are good to great. But I do think the sound is a little uneven.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    If I were at the QC meeting, gotta say Nay to "Don't Take It Away" and a great big "Yay" to "Run", RanRan, although I would ditch the male back-up vocals. [[BTW, did I once read that those male vocals were actually HDH, or did I dream it somewhere along the line?) Does anyone remember?
    Gary, "Run" just sounds so dated to me at the point of it's release. Had Motown greenlit it for release upon it's recording [[May 63 I think) instead of "Breathtaking Guy" [[which should have been released in place of "My Heart Can't Take It"), I think it would have had a chance. But following "Lovelight"? Just didn't work. I'm neg on it as a single in 64 but as a song, it is a good song. Diana's lead is great. I believe I read that HDH are the male voices too. Someone in SD claims that the Andantes are on it in place of Flo and Mary, but to my ears I hear what sounds like the Andantes and Flo and Mary, so I'm assuming the Andantes were added. In any case, the entire song rocks from start to finish. The band is killing it. Just wrong time for release.

i like it as an album cut ,maybe as a single since I never cared for Run, my least fav supremes single, probably the worst,imo. have to pull out my WDOLG expanded and have a listen. Send Me No Flowers is a nice cut,kind of pop and I think it would have fit nicely on the WDOLG lp. some nice out takes here
    Last edited by daviddh; 07-06-2019 at 09:15 AM.

As much as I like many of the unreleased songs on the WDOLG Expanded Edition I can't imagine any of them being included on the original album or as singles. I love all the songs on the original album [[actually I'm not a fan of Ask Any Girl!).

Don't Take It Away is nice but I can pick a half dozen or so songs that I prefer over that song. Send Me No Flowers is one of my least favorites. Guess I'm in the minority in my preferences...maybe I'm The Exception to The Ru-uule!

I agree with you RanRan79 that Standing At The Crossroads Of Love and He Means The World To Me sound a bit dated and do not fit as comfortably in the mix as many of the other songs. From today's vantage point, it seems that the first two albums would be stronger if Standing At The Crossroads Of Love would have been included on Meet The Supremes and Always In My Heart had been included on Where Did Our Love Go.

I actually love Standing At The Crossroads.
    But for me I would have included songs from Sing Country.
    I like It Makes No Difference and Baby Doll.
    Ask Any Girl has grown on me and is now a favorite.
    I would replace Run....He Means The World...giving you your freedom and kiss of fire

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    I agree with you RanRan79 that Standing At The Crossroads Of Love and He Means The World To Me sound a bit dated and do not fit as comfortably in the mix as many of the other songs. From today's vantage point, it seems that the first two albums would be stronger if Standing At The Crossroads Of Love would have been included on Meet The Supremes and Always In My Heart had been included on Where Did Our Love Go.
    I agree that "Always In My Heart" would've been a better fit on WDOLG than on Sing HDH.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I actually love Standing At The Crossroads.
    But for me I would have included songs from Sing Country.
    I like It Makes No Difference and Baby Doll.
    Ask Any Girl has grown on me and is now a favorite.
    I would replace Run....He Means The World...giving you your freedom and kiss of fire
    Oh no, I would not have dared put any of those C&W album songs on WDOLG, except maybe "Baby Doll", and that's only because to me it was the one pop song on the CWP album to represent the term "pop". It's also a song I dislike a lot so while if I had to put one of the songs from CWP on WDOLG it would be "Baby Doll", I'd only do it because I had to.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I agree that "Always In My Heart" would've been a better fit on WDOLG than on Sing HDH.
    almost any track in the vault would have been better as the B side to Come See than Always. if ever motown wanted to venture into funeral dirge genre of music, this would be it. Love Is In Our Hearts would have been a better option. Send Me No Flowers. or Remove This Doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Oh no, I would not have dared put any of those C&W album songs on WDOLG, except maybe "Baby Doll", and that's only because to me it was the one pop song on the CWP album to represent the term "pop". It's also a song I dislike a lot so while if I had to put one of the songs from CWP on WDOLG it would be "Baby Doll", I'd only do it because I had to.
    i agree with you. none of the tunes on CWP would have fit with the mix of tunes on WDOLG, although i do like the album more than you do. While most certainly seeing the many faults of the collection, i love that we get such a big collection of DMF 3-part harmony songs. given that, i can overlook the other elements of the lp. of course i would be VERY selective with sharing any of these tunes with non-fans. lolol

If I could tweak the Where Did Our Love Go LP, I would have lost some of the earlier, slower tracks and replaced them with more upbeat tracks that matched side one.

Side One
    1.) Where Did Our Love Go
    2.) Send Me No Flowers
    3.) Baby Love
    4.) When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes
    5.) Come See About Me
    6.) Ask Any Girl

Side Two
    1.) I'm Giving You Your Freedom
    2.) A Breath Taking Guy
    3.) Penny Pincher
    4.) Don't Take It Away