Three colour vinyl releases june 14, 2019Name:  71p1mwyyZOL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  94.8 KBName:  71GB9DilI2L._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  83.3 KBName:  71WWABnIgpL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  86.7 KB

They look coooooool

I like these but wish the labels could have been Tamla, Gordy and Motown earlier designs.

I don't know...the packaging looks a bit "generic." The typography looks like what someone who wasn't alive back then, thinks has that 60's or 70's look. I also wish, like lockhartgary, these had the original Motown/Tamla/Gordy logos.

Michael Jackson "& The Jackson 5? A bit of revisionist group-naming? I'm amazed someone hasn't started in with David Ruffin & The Temptations.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    I don't know...the packaging looks a bit "generic." The typography looks like what someone who wasn't alive back then, thinks has that 60's or 70's look. I also wish, like lockhartgary, these had the original Motown/Tamla/Gordy logos.

Michael Jackson "& The Jackson 5? A bit of revisionist group-naming? I'm amazed someone hasn't started in with David Ruffin & The Temptations.
    Looks like they are treating them separately, spotlighting the group's career and Michael's solo career. That's the vibe I'm getting for the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    I like these but wish the labels could have been Tamla, Gordy and Motown earlier designs.
    I agree. What better way than to use the actual labels the music came out on. Oh well, maybe some millennial was in charge of the artwork.

It's a half solo half group best of hence the title being Michael Jackson & The Jackson Five. Here is the tracklisting...

Side A

1. ABC
    2. Never Can Say Goodbye
    3. Ready Or Not [[Here I Come)
    4. I’ll Be There
    5. Dancing Machine
    6. Hallelujah Day
    7. Ben

Side B

1. I Want You Back
    2. Ain’t No Sunshine
    3. Got To Be There
    4. Rockin’ Robin
    5. My Girl
    6. You’ve Got A Friend

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post

Is it really revisionist though to say Michael Jackson and The Jackson 5 if Diana Ross introduced them as such in 1969?

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Looks like they are treating them separately, spotlighting the group's career and Michael's solo career. That's the vibe I'm getting for the photo.
    I hadn't thought about it that way. I think you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    It's a half solo half group best of hence the title being Michael Jackson & The Jackson Five. Here is the tracklisting...

Side A

1. ABC
    2. Never Can Say Goodbye
    3. Ready Or Not [[Here I Come)
    4. I’ll Be There
    5. Dancing Machine
    6. Hallelujah Day
    7. Ben

Side B

1. I Want You Back
    2. Ain’t No Sunshine
    3. Got To Be There
    4. Rockin’ Robin
    5. My Girl
    6. You’ve Got A Friend
    O.K. that makes sense- thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Thatkliqkid View Post
    Is it really revisionist though to say Michael Jackson and The Jackson 5 if Diana Ross introduced them as such in 1969?
    I think the group was officially The Jackson Five. That's how all of us kids ever knew them. We never said Michael Jackson & The Jackson Five. Plus- it doesn't really make logical sense; if you say M.J. AND The Jackson Five, it sounds as if there were 5 other guys backing Michael.

Diana Ross's introduction aside, the albums, the press and, at least where I grew up, the fans always referred to the group as a group, The Jackson Five and not as a lead singer and others. In fact, the Jackson Five had a group logo that was sort of shorthand: J5 [[with a little heart on the tail end of the "5".) I never recall seeing "Michael Jackson J5"

But Michael was also a solo artist so it fits in with that. If they'd used a Jermaine solo too then it could be Michael Jackson, Jermaine Jackson and The Jackson 5.

It's not a problem to title it Michael Jackson & the Jackson Five when it has both Jackson Five and Michael solo tracks. I would have a major problem with it if it was all Jackson Five songs and they called it "Michael Jackson & the Jackson Five."

It's the same issue I had with Motown in the 80s when they took a revisionist approach by reissuing early Supremes albums under the Diana Ross & The Supremes moniker. If it was an album released prior to their 1967 Greatest Hits album it should be reissued as The Supremes as that's how it was originally released. Anthologies and Compilation Box Sets are totally different because you are using various recordings over the course of years.