[REMOVE ADS]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    I LOVE Stevie Wonder but I just don't see him doing justice to DR's voice. His track record as a producer for other talent is not the best: The Supremes, MR&TheVs, Syreeta. He's a great talent, but I don't think it transfer to other artists. Same with Luther V.
    I think Stevie did a good job with Diana on THE FORCE BEHIND THE POWER, but that was only one song. I would prefer that Diana do an album of his compositions as her voice just seems to fit them well.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    I think Luther did a good job with Diana, Dionne, and Aretha.
    Not sure about Dionne. Some of the tracks on that album were poor, but the pair of albums he did with Aretha were excellent. The album he did with Cheryl Lynn was pretty good too.

I'd be happy with Nile Rodgers, Barry Gibb, Stevie Wonder or Mark Ronson, as long as its good!!!!!!!!

I personally think this Luther-Dionne song is a bit of a TOON [[not a mindblowingly amazing or beautiful song, but enjoyable nonetheless )

Last edited by TomatoTom123; 11-25-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    You would be amazed at how many canned tracks she has got in the vault. I actually asked her to sanction an expanded edition of Guilty, but all she did was laugh and say "maybe one day". It is most frustrating!
    A few years ago, she issued an album of unreleased tracks, but it didn’t sell that well.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    A few years ago, she issued an album of unreleased tracks, but it didn’t sell that well.
    yes she did. I think it was called Release Me. It was merely a stop gap compilation between studio albums, but there were a few decent tunes on there. There may be others in the future, but i would prefer expanded editions of some of her classic albums.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I personally think this Luther-Dionne song is a bit of a TOON [[not a mindblowingly amazing or beautiful song, but enjoyable nonetheless )

I never cared much for this one but i concede there were worse songs on the album. My personal favourites on that album were "so amazing" and "what can a miracle do".
    Dionne was not at all happy with the album despite being good friends with Luther.

yes she did. I think it was called Release Me. It was merely a stop gap compilation between studio albums, but there were a few decent tunes on there. There may be others in the future, but i would prefer expanded editions of some of her classic albums.
    this was supposed to happen and it didn't.
    It's to late now, the market is lost and her fan base is rather old.

I believe she has at least 60 unreleased tracks. So many lost opportunities

I suspect there are probably more than that. I know of at least 3 outtakes from Guilty. I fear we may not get to hear these songs until she passes away.
    Hopefully she will have a change of heart.

I suspect there are probably more than that. I know of at least 3 outtakes from Guilty. I fear we may not get to hear these songs until she passes away.
    She recorded a lot, with a lot of different arrangements. I think Diana stopped working that way when she took responsibility of her career

She recorded a lot, with a lot of different arrangements. I think Diana stopped working that way when she took responsibility of her career
    Yes i think she did. There were way more outtakes from the Motown years [[both era's) than the rca years.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    What a great link; thanks so much for finding. Love my Barbra!

I don't think her catalog has a shelf life. People will be listening to Streisand's best recordings for as long as people listen to music. Her recording of "Being Good" on that recent collection is fantastic. It will never be too late to release her unreleased material -- if it's any good.

No one has mentioned it, so I must be alone in my wish for Ross to record a Motown album -- songs by other Motown artists [[Marvin, Stevie, Smokey, Rick James, DeBarge, etc.)

I don't really want to hear her sing new, unfamiliar songs. I hope she does covers but it would be nice to have a unifying theme.

I know of at least 3 outtakes from Guilty. I fear we may not get to hear these songs until she passes away.
    have you heard these outtakes?

have you heard these outtakes?
    Frustratingly no!

I would love her to do the new songs Barry Gibb wrote for her. I'd love for them to do a duet... Perhaps Islands in the Stream. Was that not written for her originally?

Quote Originally Posted by Koach View Post
    I would love her to do the new songs Barry Gibb wrote for her. I'd love for them to do a duet... Perhaps Islands in the Stream. Was that not written for her originally?
    I'd much rather her do a tribute album to the 70s Supremes. Once was a plenty with Barry Gibbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Koach View Post
    It was originally planned as a duet between Diana and Barry, but of course Diana rejected it along with several other tunes that ended up on Kenny Rodgers's Barry Gibb produced album.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I think Stevie did a good job with Diana on THE FORCE BEHIND THE POWER, but that was only one song. I would prefer that Diana do an album of his compositions as her voice just seems to fit them well.
    It could work...with someone else producing it lol

I love her version of Too Shy to Say on Baby It's Me [[I think it was on Baby It's Me anyway, correct me if I'm wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    It could work...with someone else producing it lol

I love her version of Too Shy to Say on Baby It's Me [[I think it was on Baby It's Me anyway, correct me if I'm wrong).
    It was indeed on Baby It's Me. She also did a fine version of Blame it on the sun. A Stevie written and produced album would be great, but i think if it was going to happen it would have happened by now.
    It was heartwarming to see Stevie out and about the other day. I hope he is soon back to full fitness.

Those 2 songs were great

But for a splash, Nile Rodgers and Stevie wonder are not the men for a new album

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    I'd much rather her do a tribute album to the 70s Supremes. Once was a plenty with Barry Gibbs.
    I think we can safely rule that option out!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    No one has mentioned it, so I must be alone in my wish for Ross to record a Motown album -- songs by other Motown artists [[Marvin, Stevie, Smokey, Rick James, DeBarge, etc.)

I don't really want to hear her sing new, unfamiliar songs. I hope she does covers but it would be nice to have a unifying theme.
    I think you must be alone in that wish! I don't think that would be a good idea at all. I cannot see what she could add to those classic tunes. Leave well enough alone.

I think you must be alone in that wish! I don't think that would be a good idea at all. I cannot see what she could add to those classic tunes. Leave well enough alone.
    I agree, new songs all the way.
    It would be interesting to know why Diana has had this sudden change of heart after all these years. Recording aside, the fact that she will be touring overseas and playing huge arenas again is a massive commitment. A decision that has taken myself and i'm sure many a fan by complete surprise.
    Does she consider it her last chance to make vast amounts of money or is it a combination of things??................Answers on a postcard lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    It would be interesting to know why Diana has had this sudden change of heart after all these years. Recording aside, the fact that she will be touring overseas and playing huge arenas again is a massive commitment. A decision that has taken myself and i'm sure many a fan by complete surprise.
    Does she consider it her last chance to make vast amounts of money or is it a combination of things??................Answers on a postcard lol.
    Where her UK tour is concerned, I'd like to think that Diana is "repaying" the respect her many fans here given her here and her enduring popularity which has never waned. I am really excited to be seeing her in concert in 2020 and to know that a new album with world class producers is on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Where her UK tour is concerned, I'd like to think that Diana is "repaying" the respect her many fans here given her here and her enduring popularity which has never waned. I am really excited to be seeing her in concert in 2020 and to know that a new album with world class producers is on the way.
    I think it fair to say that as regards the tour and album we are all as excited as can be. As nice a thought as it is, i seriously doubt the sole motivation for a UK tour was an inner need to pay her respects to the UK.
    I'm not suggesting for a moment that the motivation is purely pecuniary, but there may possibly be reasons that have not yet been revealed for this sudden change of heart..

I think it fair to say that as regards the tour and album we are all as excited as can be. As nice a thought as it is, i seriously doubt the sole motivation for a UK tour was an inner need to pay her respects to the UK.
    I'm not suggesting for a moment that the motivation is purely pecuniary, but there may possibly be reasons that have not yet been revealed for this sudden change of heart..
    It is not as sudden as you might imagine. It almost happened around 3 years ago. Obviously the financial aspect is most appealing, but she has been stalling on agreeing a new recording contract for the past few years. The main problem was that the record companies wanted her to commit to a world tour to promote the album. She was happy to tour the UK, but did not want to do a world tour. An agreement was finally reached where the world tour was taken off the menu. Once this was agreed she was happy to sign.
    It is a shame for her fans in other countries, but i totally understand and support her reasons.
    She is also doing numerous dates in the States next year. That is enough for a lady approaching 76. If the UK tour goes well she will do further dates here in 2021.
    She is aware of her undiminished popularity in the UK where she was supported when the USA stopped buying her music. It is not exactly payback time, but she is attempting to acknowledge her fans in the UK who have been more than patient in their wait for her to return to these shores.

It is not as sudden as you might imagine. It almost happened around 3 years ago. Obviously the financial aspect is most appealing, but she has been stalling on agreeing a new recording contract for the past few years. The main problem was that the record companies wanted her to commit to a world tour to promote the album. She was happy to tour the UK, but did not want to do a world tour. An agreement was finally reached where the world tour was taken off the menu. Once this was agreed she was happy to sign.
    It is a shame for her fans in other countries, but i totally understand and support her reasons.
    She is also doing numerous dates in the States next year. That is enough for a lady approaching 76. If the UK tour goes well she will do further dates here in 2021.
    She is aware of her undiminished popularity in the UK where she was supported when the USA stopped buying her music. It is not exactly payback time, but she is attempting to acknowledge her fans in the UK who have been more than patient in their wait for her to return to these shores.
    Many thanks for the info Bluebrock. Have you any idea at this stage which record company she has signed with?. Apologies if i have asked before.

Many thanks for the info Bluebrock. Have you any idea at this stage which record company she has signed with?. Apologies if i have asked before.
    I have been told unofficially, but until i have it from an official source i would rather not say.
    I am told all will be revealed shortly.

I agree. That would ... suck, to put it elegantly. Probs along the lines of what Clive Davis wanted.

I know the idea of her needing or wanting money is unpopular, and perhaps even hurtful to some Ross fans, but yes, she is doing it for the money.

Ross just wants to be a grandmother now, it is not her heart's desire to travel the globe performing. But she has no streams of income as significant as touring revenue. Her only wish is to secure the future of her whole family [[immediate and extended). So she's hitting the road to make money while she still can.

I am sure she loves her UK fans but she's not taking herself all the way there strictly out of love. That shouldn't lessen the thrill for fans. Be happy you will get to see her while she still looks remarkably like Diana Ross.

Speaking of Nile Rodgers, I recall when this was released in 1985, it would have been an excellent track for Diana [[in my opinion). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSCN4WZYU9Y
    Last edited by jobucats; 11-30-2019 at 02:21 PM.

I know the idea of her needing or wanting money is unpopular, and perhaps even hurtful to some Ross fans, but yes, she is doing it for the money.

Ross just wants to be a grandmother now, it is not her heart's desire to travel the globe performing. But she has no streams of income as significant as touring revenue. Her only wish is to secure the future of her whole family [[immediate and extended). So she's hitting the road to make money while she still can.

I am sure she loves her UK fans but she's not taking herself all the way there strictly out of love. That shouldn't lessen the thrill for fans. Be happy you will get to see her while she still looks remarkably like Diana Ross.
    She sure as hell doesn't need the money, but who is going to turn down crazy money for a few weeks work?

Hasn't Bluebrock said that it wasn't Diana's wish to do the major concert venues but would have preferred smaller, more intimate ones?

Don't forget too that Evan and Ross are the sons of Arne Naess.

She sure as hell doesn't need the money, but who is going to turn down crazy money for a few weeks work?
    Bluebrock, Ross "needs" money to execute her legacy planning. She doesn't "need" money in the way that you mean. I know someone -- who knows her -- and they are familiar with her wish to provide for her extended family. The Naess boys are not her only concern.

Yes indeed, most would NOT turn down 'crazy' money. But it is no insult to state or suggest that she has planned an ambitious UK tour for financial reasons.

[[Islands in the steam) It was originally planned as a duet between Diana and Barry, but of course Diana rejected it along with several other tunes that ended up on Kenny Rodgers's Barry Gibb produced album.
    I will never understand why Diana turned this down. What was she thinking? You'd think after all her years in the business she would have an ear for a hit. I can't speak for the U.S market, but this would have been top 3 or even a number 1 in the U.K. What a wasted opportunity.

IMO she made the right choice. A duet with her and Barry would have been terrible. Besides this would have come right after Endless Love- the biggest duet of all time. It would not have measured up .

Bluebrock, Ross "needs" money to execute her legacy planning. She doesn't "need" money in the way that you mean. I know someone -- who knows her -- and they are familiar with her wish to provide for her extended family. The Naess boys are not her only concern.

Yes indeed, most would NOT turn down 'crazy' money. But it is no insult to state or suggest that she has planned an ambitious UK tour for financial reasons.
    The Naess boys as you put it are very very well provided for. Their father made sure if this long before he passed away.
    The Ross girls are also well provided for. They don't just rely on Diana for their inheritence.
    Of course her main objective is the financial aspect. There is no shame in admitting that,but she is looking forward to spending much of next summer in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Hasn't Bluebrock said that it wasn't Diana's wish to do the major concert venues but would have preferred smaller, more intimate ones?

Don't forget too that Evan and Ross are the sons of Arne Naess.
    Diana prefer's smaller intimate venues these days, but it was the promoters decision to book the larger venues. They hold all the power and it is they who take on all the risks involved with mega star tours.

The richest people in the world still go to work. It is the poor ones who prefer to sit all day and do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    The richest people in the world still go to work. It is the poor ones who prefer to sit all day and do nothing.
    Yes esp the the poor ones who are disabled and really want to work. You are insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    What classist claptrap.

That was a little harsh Circa; not sure you meant it totally; in Canada, even we have an understanding of what white man privilege means and it’s a much more gentle and mellow country than exists down south

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    IMO she made the right choice. A duet with her and Barry would have been terrible. Besides this would have come right after Endless Love- the biggest duet of all time. It would not have measured up .
    I agree khansperac. I think Diana made the right decision not to record IITS, at least with Barry.
    I really don't think the song would have suited her voice at all and the thought of it being a D & B duet sends me running for the hills.. I also believe she made the right decision to veto any thoughts of duets for the EA album.
    The song "Eaten Alive" provides a glimpse of what might have been had their voices been paired for a duet...................Yikes.

I have been told unofficially, but until i have it from an official source i would rather not say.
    I am told all will be revealed shortly.
    Is she signed with EMI internationally?

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    I will never understand why Diana turned this down. What was she thinking? You'd think after all her years in the business she would have an ear for a hit.
    I think Diana in the early 80s proved quite the opposite. All those poor choices on her RCA albums, let alone her worries about the Chic-produced 'diana' which became her biggest success of all-time. Of course, she wasn't alone with the other powers-that-be at Motown also doubting that album.

If only Motown had a proper promotional effort for 'diana' - video clips, an actual choice of single released before the album came out and some other marketing, it could have been even more of a massive hit all around the world.