[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Point taken, JerryOz! What I meant to say was the NAMES are similar. I stand corrected. No harm, no foul, Jerry.
    No offense taken. I kid, I kid...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Good question. I kind of wonder if the Atlanta sound of LaFace Records had any true musical distinction. The musicians didn't stand out. If you heard Babyface's first couple of albums, you pretty much heard most LaFace output that followed them. This is odd because the Deele stood out to me, as did Babyface's writing and production for Midnight Star.

You could hear a difference in New Jack [[and really, a lot of New York records in the '80s), Minneapolis, and LA [[Solar, most prominently). But in that decade and the next, LaFace made wonderful songs that were kind of indistinct from a composition standpoint IMO. Maybe Toni Braxton is the exception, but most of the voices could be swapped with something different without the songs suffering greatly. Maybe I should just avoid going there though...
    You can make the same argument about the Force MDs.

No offense taken. I kid, I kid...
    LOL! I was gettin' ready to fight, too, Jerry! Don't mess with De La!

You can make the same argument about the Force MDs.
    One of the saddest stories in a business full of them. I think Tommy Boy was out of its league with a genuine R&B act. With that said, Antoine Lundy genuinely had one of the best voices ever [[no hyperbole) in R&B music and that voice carried the group. But even though Jam & Lewis blew the top off of them with Tender Love, I always thought the Force MDs bore that '80s NYC sound. Lost opportunity to have done so much more in the short time they recorded.

All right, this one takes the cake for me. My dearly departed dog could write a better song than this...but it's such a damned earworm!

Good question. I kind of wonder if the Atlanta sound of LaFace Records had any true musical distinction. The musicians didn't stand out. If you heard Babyface's first couple of albums, you pretty much heard most LaFace output that followed them. This is odd because the Deele stood out to me, as did Babyface's writing and production for Midnight Star.

You could hear a difference in New Jack [[and really, a lot of New York records in the '80s), Minneapolis, and LA [[Solar, most prominently). But in that decade and the next, LaFace made wonderful songs that were kind of indistinct from a composition standpoint IMO. Maybe Toni Braxton is the exception, but most of the voices could be swapped with something different without the songs suffering greatly. Maybe I should just avoid going there though...
    I know what you mean. I didn't buy a lot of BabyFace's productions he did on others, but I loved his Babyface Unplugged CD with "When Can I See You Again, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    All right, this one takes the cake for me. My dearly departed dog could write a better song than this...but it's such a damned earworm!

Ok, yeah I remember this record. It sound like it should have been the music for soda commercial or some kind of gum. LOL!

I'm posting this one on behalf of dear, late grandmother. She could not stand this record here:

I liked some of their stuff, but not this one!

Mr. Roboto - Styx. Sounded like something from a Broadway play or something.

This...

the na na na na na coda gets on my last nerve.

And this

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post

Dennis DeYoung was such a butthole. Styx was a really good band but his ego led to this song and other crappy efforts. I saw a concert on TV and they did an elaborate production of Mr. Roboto and literally nobody in the crowd was either dancing, smiling or looking as if they were having a good time. Great choice for this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    This...

LOL. That was a good band too. This song was okay for me until the thousandth time I heard it. Now I can't stand it.

I liked some of their stuff, but not this one!

Duran Duran were such good musicians, I pretty much loved almost everything. Their biggest problem was how their handlers insisted on positioning them as pretty boys for MTV, which was thriving by then.

There was no excuse for this hideous train wreck. "Who that is" and "That's just my babby daddy" are easily the most unfortunate lyrics in history.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    This...

They played this to death my Junior year in college. I prefer "Flame thrower" by Peter Wolf much, much more.

Duran Duran were such good musicians, I pretty much loved almost everything. Their biggest problem was how their handlers insisted on positioning them as pretty boys for MTV, which was thriving by then.
    Now they're all in their early 60s and even though they are still performing, you hear nothing about them in the U.S.

There was no excuse for this hideous train wreck. "Who that is" and "That's just my babby daddy" are easily the most unfortunate lyrics in history.
    This is a complete rip off of " I Got A Man" by Positive-K. Remember that record?

I loved Cameo. Loved about 80% of their music, but like so many, in 1982 they pushed the envelope too far in trying to be trendy and came out with this awful record "Alligator Woman"!

Now they're all in their early 60s and even though they are still performing, you hear nothing about them in the U.S.
    Simon LeBon did an interview on the radio a few years ago and he sounded happier performing out of the limelight. Didn't suggest he regretted anything but I got the impression that the band learned the right lessons from their hey day and aren't stressing about reliving that era. Actually shocked me because I used to think he was like Peter Wolf and David Lee Roth since he was an '80s front man of a popular outfit, but that's because I'm quick to judge. Don't forget that John Taylor and Andy Taylor teamed up with Tony Thompson of Chic to form Power Station with Robert Palmer. Hope they're all doing well.

I loved Cameo. Loved about 80% of their music, but like so many, in 1982 they pushed the envelope too far in trying to be trendy and came out with this awful record "Alligator Woman"!

I was upset when Cameo chopped down from an 11-member outfit [[as ridiculous as that sounds today) to just Larry Blackmon, Tomi Jenkins and Nathan Leftenant. But the records still sounded good to me and that era is almost as good as the previous one. I was not a fan of punk funk [[hated the Bar-Kays' Hit and Run change in sound) but I used to rock Alligator Woman, which I think is Cameo's only punk funk record.

Simon LeBon did an interview on the radio a few years ago and he sounded happier performing out of the limelight. Didn't suggest he regretted anything but I got the impression that the band learned the right lessons from their hey day and aren't stressing about reliving that era. Actually shocked me because I used to think he was like Peter Wolf and David Lee Roth since he was an '80s front man of a popular outfit, but that's because I'm quick to judge. Don't forget that John Taylor and Andy Taylor teamed up with Tony Thompson of Chic to form Power Station with Robert Palmer. Hope they're all doing well.
    I bought Power Stations' album. Robert Palmer was a bad boy!

I was upset when Cameo chopped down from an 11-member outfit [[as ridiculous as that sounds today) to just Larry Blackmon, Tomi Jenkins and Nathan Leftenant. But the records still sounded good to me and that era is almost as good as the previous one. I was not a fan of punk funk [[hated the Bar-Kays' Hit and Run change in sound) but I used to rock Alligator Woman, which I think is Cameo's only punk funk record.
    There was another step in there when Cameo went from having almost football team, down to 3 or 4 guys. They melted down to around 7 guys with a few new guys were added and then deleted to get to the final 3.

Aaron Mills is one of the most underrated funk/soul bassists. He was a huge part of their sound, as was their horn section, and they missed him when he left. I thought that Word Up was going to send them full pop after I heard it played in some top 40 nightclubs. It would have been a smart money-making move for Blackmon & Co. and many would have taken the bait. But then they released Skin I'm In and it cemented them as one of my favorite outfits forever. That song resonates to this day, even though it probably ran contrary to what the label was hoping they'd produce.

Aaron Mills is one of the most underrated funk/soul bassists. He was a huge part of their sound, as was their horn section, and they missed him when he left. I thought that Word Up was going to send them full pop after I heard it played in some top 40 nightclubs. It would have been a smart money-making move for Blackmon & Co. and many would have taken the bait. But then they released Skin I'm In and it cemented them as one of my favorite outfits forever. That song resonates to this day, even though it probably ran contrary to what the label was hoping they'd produce.
    "Word Up" was their big crossover Pop hit, although I liked "Candy" even better.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    LOL! I was gettin' ready to fight, too, Jerry! Don't mess with De La!
    That's why I gots to think before I post! Thanks guys.

One of the saddest stories in a business full of them. I think Tommy Boy was out of its league with a genuine R&B act. With that said, Antoine Lundy genuinely had one of the best voices ever [[no hyperbole) in R&B music and that voice carried the group. But even though Jam & Lewis blew the top off of them with Tender Love, I always thought the Force MDs bore that '80s NYC sound. Lost opportunity to have done so much more in the short time they recorded.
    Jerry, I Lurved Tender Love. That piano intro/ outro always brought tears to my eyes! Stellar ballad. They started as dancers. Excelled at everything they touched!! Worked at Sears [[Bronx) when it dropped. On my playlist to-date!!

For years, I thought it was Queen!!

Marv, you took the words right out of my mouth!!!

To quote Evelyn"Champagne" King: "a lowdown dirty shame"!!!

Marv, once again, you're right on point!!

There was another step in there when Cameo went from having almost football team, down to 3 or 4 guys. They melted down to around 7 guys with a few new guys were added and then deleted to get to the final 3.
    I still remember when the "team" was billed as Cameosis. Back then they did mostly forgettable ballads.

I agree 100%, Jerry!! You and Marv got it going on! True music historians, in my book. Robb_ k's in there too!!

"Word Up" was their big crossover Pop hit, although I liked "Candy" even better.
    " I can see it when you walk, it takes over me!"

The saddest part to me is that several of them have passed away now. They were a good group of guys that gave it a shot and won!

Jerry, I Lurved Tender Love. That piano intro/ outro always brought tears to my eyes! Stellar ballad. They started as dancers. Excelled at everything they touched!! Worked at Sears [[Bronx) when it dropped. On my playlist to-date!!
    My favorite song by them is Tears. It blew my mind when I saw on Unsung the story of how TCD nailed that song in his very first take. Wow!

I agree 100%, Jerry!! You and Marv got it going on! True music historians, in my book. Robb_ k's in there too!!
    All props to my man robb_k, who has forgotten more music history than any five board members ever knew. He's a living encyclopedia and one of the best things about SDF.

To quote Evelyn"Champagne" King: "a lowdown dirty shame"!!!
    Shame is an underrated classic, IMO. Of all the breakout hits by 16 year old girls [[and there have been a lot) that one might be the strongest performance. As soon as you mentioned it, the bass line started riffing in my head.

Word Up was my jam until it was everywhere. Black clubs. White clubs. Block parties. Top 40 radio. Urban radio. MTV. BET. VH-1. I couldn't get away from it. I often load songs on mp3 CDs and listen to them in my car. There are two dozen Cameo songs that I'll format before Word Up. I don't hate it, but I just can't stand to hear it anymore.

Dennis DeYoung was such a butthole. Styx was a really good band but his ego led to this song and other crappy efforts. I saw a concert on TV and they did an elaborate production of Mr. Roboto and literally nobody in the crowd was either dancing, smiling or looking as if they were having a good time. Great choice for this thread.
    I've stayed clear of this thread because I wasn't able to readily put my finger on any certain record I 'hated', ... disliked many , but not to that degree. Until !! , this one got mentioned . I agree, it should be the headliner of this thread, such drudge.

I don't even know the words ....maybe, "no more avocados, Mr. Roboto!!!" ? ??

Oh it just reminded me of another throw away song by an often enjoyable group....WHO ARE YOU by the Who

"whooooooo are you ......who-who,who-who!!" yech...
    And does that growly vocal by Daltrey qualify as singing?

Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-18-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I've stayed clear of this thread because I wasn't able to readily put my finger on any certain record I 'hated', ... disliked many , but not to that degree. Until !! , this one got mentioned . I agree, it should be the headliner of this thread, such drudge.

I don't even know the words ....maybe, "no more avocados, Mr. Roboto!!!" ? ??

Oh it just reminded me of another throw away song by an often enjoyable group....WHO ARE YOU by the Who

"whooooooo are you ......who-who,who-who!!" yech...
    And does that growly vocal by Daltrey qualify as singing?
    I really like the Who and that song is one of my faves. When Pete Townshend went solo, he made a new wave song that I never liked. Like he was trying to stretch his horizons and made a song that anybody else could have done better.

Shame is an underrated classic, IMO. Of all the breakout hits by 16 year old girls [[and there have been a lot) that one might be the strongest performance. As soon as you mentioned it, the bass line started riffing in my head.
    Uh, not underrated, well at least not with me and all the people I partied with back then. "Shame" was the biggest record in the Summer of 1978 and that's really saying something!

Uh, not underrated, well at least not with me and all the people I partied with back then. "Shame" was the biggest record in the Summer of 1978 and that's really saying something!
    Yeah, my bad. When I called it overrated, I guess I was thinking that it's a song that young people would not be familiar with if it came on the radio. You know they'd know a bunch of Funkadelic, Jackson 5, Chic, Rick James and Heatwave from that era because [[to me) those groups and those records have become iconic. Shame was Evelyn King's first and probably her only truly great record, so she's not in their rarefied air. She did have other nice songs, but that one was fire.

Now, I definitely remember my brother coming home and turning up the console when it came on the radio after he had heard it the night before at some teen club. It was the jam for a long time. I'm remembering Sun's first album and Pocket's album from around the same time. Probably Rick James first record, too. Great music that stayed funky even as disco began to become a dominant sound for soul artists.

So, it's not overrated for us old heads at all.

Yeah, my bad. When I called it overrated, I guess I was thinking that it's a song that young people would not be familiar with if it came on the radio. You know they'd know a bunch of Funkadelic, Jackson 5, Chic, Rick James and Heatwave from that era because [[to me) those groups and those records have become iconic. Shame was Evelyn King's first and probably her only truly great record, so she's not in their rarefied air. She did have other nice songs, but that one was fire.

Now, I definitely remember my brother coming home and turning up the console when it came on the radio after he had heard it the night before at some teen club. It was the jam for a long time. I'm remembering Sun's first album and Pocket's album from around the same time. Probably Rick James first record, too. Great music that stayed funky even as disco began to become a dominant sound for soul artists.

So, it's not overrated for us old heads at all.
    Do you remember the car commercial where the family is sitting in their car in the garage and "Shame " is blasting over the car radio. The car and the family were bouncing up and down? LOL! I can't remember the auto company right now.

Oh Stuff! I was going to say "American Pie", but I did not want to get stoned to death. LOL! The longest, most aggravating song in the history of music!
    I have seen Don McLean live in concert and it was an absolutely brilliant performance.

"American Pie" contains some of the best lyrics ever written, unlike Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody", which is just pretentious drivel.

I didn't think Simon Le Bon's voice was as good as their competitors'. The only records of theirs I liked were "Girls On Film" and "Planet Earth".

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I have seen Don McLean live in concert and it was an absolutely brilliant performance.

"American Pie" contains some of the best lyrics ever written, unlike Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody", which is just pretentious drivel.
    I remember one time in college we sang the whole song at a talent night in the dorms. It was so long, we took a break to have beer! LOL!

I loved Denise Lasalle, but hated this song! It was covered several times by folks like Jean Knight, Rockin' Sidney, etc.

Very lightweight and bland songs:

Baby Come Back
    Pina Colada song