[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Very lightweight and bland songs:

Baby Come Back
    Pina Colada song
    I actually liked "Baby Come Back" from 1978 by Player. "The Pina Colada Song" by Rupert what's his name from 1980 not so much.

Hey marv,you ain't gonna believe this,but i can't think of a darned song that i hate right now,but there are many!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hey marv,you ain't gonna believe this,but i can't think of a darned song that i hate right now,but there are many!!
    Come on JAI, I know there has got to be a few. Thinks about one from over the years where you just turned the dial as soon as you heard it come on.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Jerry, I Lurved Tender Love. That piano intro/ outro always brought tears to my eyes! Stellar ballad. They started as dancers. Excelled at everything they touched!! Worked at Sears [[Bronx) when it dropped. On my playlist to-date!!
    Me too. One of THE all time great ballads in my humble opinion, but it has to be the full length album version. That piano intro/outro is so moving and tear inducing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Me too. One of THE all time great ballads in my humble opinion, but it has to be the full length album version. That piano intro/outro is so moving and tear inducing.
    Correct me, if I'm wrong, Bluebrock. But I do believe TL was produced by Jam & Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    No offense taken. I kid, I kid...
    Like the Third Rock From the Sun "laff". Lurved that show!! Especially - " My God! I'm gorgeous!!" Whenever John Lithgow's character saw his reflection.

One of the saddest stories in a business full of them. I think Tommy Boy was out of its league with a genuine R&B act. With that said, Antoine Lundy genuinely had one of the best voices ever [[no hyperbole) in R&B music and that voice carried the group. But even though Jam & Lewis blew the top off of them with Tender Love, I always thought the Force MDs bore that '80s NYC sound. Lost opportunity to have done so much more in the short time they recorded.
    Thanks, Jerry for letting me know TL was a Jam & Lewis production.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I liked some of their stuff, but not this one!

I respectfully beg to differ on Rio! That cut was one of my favs from LeBon & co.

Here is one that I never liked from one of the best albums I own. Just never found its way to a mix tape. Sounded much too much like pop and never should have been on the soul stations. I feel the same way about Say, Say, Say and The Girl Is Mine, but I like both of those records.
    The only good came out
    Say, Say, Say was the video and the quote I still spout in 2019 - "... I'm a lover, not a fighter!" [[MJ to Sir Paul)

This song use to make me want to run out of the house, into the street and get hit by a bus! LOL!

Well, at least she has striking resemblance to Carly Simon!!!

The only good came out
    Say, Say, Say was the video and the quote I still spout in 2019 - "... I'm a lover, not a fighter!" [[MJ to Sir Paul)
    That line, along with Mr. McCartney's assertion that she calls him her 'super lover', is a hoot. I did get the impression that Michael's line was spoken more earnestly, though. Sir Paul was clearly camping it up.

I respectfully beg to differ on Rio! That cut was one of my favs from LeBon & co.
    This is what I was talking about early in the thread. Don't get mad, this is just for fun. Besides, how can you tell another people to like something just because you do? LOL!

she looks more like Vicki Lawrence to me. Mick Jagger and Carly Simon resemble one another more in my opinion.

No Cyndi, noooooo........

This is what I was talking about early in the thread. Don't get mad, this is just for fun. Besides, how can you tell another people to like something just because you do? LOL!
    You are right, Marv! We should call this thread - "or Those songs you love to hate!"

No Cyndi, noooooo........

What about the one where the era's wrestling champ plays her "O Daddy- dear, you still the fortunate one. But girls just wanna have fuh-un!" [[rinse, repeat)

..." or Hate to Love!!" Whatever greases your axle!

What about the one where the era's wrestling champ plays her "O Daddy- dear, you still the fortunate one. But girls just wanna have fuh-un!" [[rinse, repeat)
    That was with Captain Lou Albano. He was a wrestling manager. That was a good song.

So right! Thanks, Marv. Senior moment!!

Watch it now! Girls Just Want To Have Fun is an all-time '80s happy jam. That song was emblematic of New York pop at the time that punk and new wave were starting to dominate. With that said, Cyndi lost me completely with this huge turd:

RE: Penny McLean LADY BUMP

or maybe a little like Helen Reddy??

Perhaps her German accent which makes her annunciations a little unclear is what is bothering you? it can't be the blood curdling "ahhhhhhh"s! Lol! It's quirky , I've always liked it .

We all know Penny's from Silver Convention right?
    "that's right !!

Get up and boo-gie!!!"

she's on the left .
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-21-2019 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

Perhaps her German accent which makes her annunciations a little unclear is what is bothering you? it can't be the blood curdling "ahhhhhhh"s! Lol! It's quirky , I've always liked it .

"that's right !!

Get up and boo-gie!!!"

she's on the left .
    Groan. Get Up and Boogie and Fly Robin, Fly both belong very prominently in this thread. I cosign to both.

Correct me, if I'm wrong, Bluebrock. But I do believe TL was produced by Jam & Lewis.
    I think you may well be right there. That is perhaps why i love it so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

"that's right !!

Get up and boo-gie!!!"

she's on the left .
    My father liked this song. I remember coming home from school one day and heard this blasting from the basement. It was a new record and a new sound at the time.

My father liked this song. I remember coming home from school one day and heard this blasting from the basement. It was a new record and a new sound at the time.
    You're right. First time a record placed the strings front and center and LOUD.Who'd ever heard of such a thing? In fact the strings dominate and in essence "sing" the record far more than the scant vocals.
    I can see how this would either grab someone or totally turn them off though. I love violins so .....

Most of the music of the-90's??

Most of the music of the-90's??
    Oh ok, but just give us at least one that comes to mind......

I'll do ya one better,i'll name a whole lp i hate...mercy,mercy-don covay...yep that don covay-it's a stinker!!!

I'll do ya one better,i'll name a whole lp i hate...mercy,mercy-don covay...yep that don covay-it's a stinker!!!
    Ok. I can't remember, but who made the hit version of "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy", the song? It sounded like it was done live at a Jazz club.
    Last edited by marv2; 06-22-2019 at 09:58 PM.

Ok, just answered my own question, Cannonball Adderley Quintet in 1966 they did "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy". I heard that so much because Dad use to play it a lot on weekends.
    Last edited by marv2; 06-22-2019 at 09:58 PM.

Oh ok, but just give us at least one that comes to mind......

That and this, ever since first listen on school bus radio, to almost everyday at the workplace radio for years, will absolutely grind the gears with its mindless pop-radio-crossover-friendly-dance-repetition, to even more mindless lyrics that I still do not understand its meanings:

Last edited by Ngroove; 06-23-2019 at 03:56 AM.

But this one, I have ALWAYS found to be the stinker of stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    That and this, ever since first listen on school bus radio, to almost everyday at the workplace radio for years, will absolutely grind the gears with its mindless pop-radio-crossover-friendly-dance-repetition, to even more mindless lyrics that I still do not understand its meanings:

I totally agree on this one!

I actually thought about this one too when starting this thread. This was played so much during the Summer of 1988, along with idiots in my office repeating it drove me up the wall! LOL!

Integrating a Holy traditional spiritual hymn sacrilegiously with rock Three Dog Night, with none of them having to do with each other, other than the coincidence of its title.

Last edited by Ngroove; 06-23-2019 at 12:09 PM.

I suppose, then, that you bookend Happy, Pharrell?

Didn't McPherrin throw this in to fill out the album? If I recall correctly, he totally unprepared for it to be the only pop hit of his career.

Didn't McPherrin throw this in to fill out the album? If I recall correctly, he totally unprepared for it to be the only pop hit of his career.
    I don't know, but I wanted to beat him up for making this record! LOL!