[REMOVE ADS]

Levi Stubbs and The Vandellas - Oh! I've Been Blessed

Love, love, love this song. Levi backed here by the Vandellas:

I think the proper title would be Levi Stubbs and the Andantes. There's no Vandellas on this with the exception of Martha's lead vocal at the end.

I love this song, too. Bobby Taylor also recorded it on his "Taylor-Made Soul" album on Gordy. Strangely, the single version was released on VIP [[as can be seen on the record label in the attached video).

https://youtu.be/zaPgFQ_U4yQ

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I love this song, too. Bobby Taylor also recorded it on his "Taylor-Made Soul" album on Gordy. Strangely, the single version was released on VIP [[as can be seen on the record label in the attached video).

https://youtu.be/zaPgFQ_U4yQ
    Hey Gary, I remember Bobby's version too. It was very good too in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Hey Gary, I remember Bobby's version too. It was very good too in my opinion.
    Yeah, I loved that whole "Taylor Made Soul" album. I think I prefer Bobby's version of "Oh I've Been Blessed" over Levi's for two reasons -- Bobby's is the version I've known and loved since 1969, and the mix on Bobby's version is fuller-sounding with the Andantes up close and personal. Levi does a great job on his rendition, too [[the guy nails every note on every song he's EVER sung), but the back-up vocals on Levi's are too far back in the mix, leaving too many empty holes, making the mix sound weak. Apparently Motown agreed, since Bobby's version is the one that got released. It's interesting that, if Levi had gone solo, as Berry had reportedly wanted him to do, "Blessed" is an example of what his records would have sounded like. Gotta admit, as much as I love The Andantes, Levi sounds best with the Tops included in the mix.

Levi's is the only great version. Bobby was not in good vocal at all. Messy in fact. Martha's wasn't any better than Bobby's. Time for honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtopsbiggestfan View Post
    Levi's is the only great version. Bobby was not in good vocal at all. Messy in fact. Martha's wasn't any better than Bobby's. Time for honesty.
    I WAS being honest regarding my opinion.
    You're entitled to your opinion, as are the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I WAS being honest regarding my opinion.
    You're entitled to your opinion, as are the rest of us.
    Although I am a Tops fan, I enjoy both versions equally. I'm being honest. This is my opinion. I don't consider it to be sacrilegious that I can consider both equal as to my enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Although I am a Tops fan, I enjoy both versions equally. I'm being honest. This is my opinion. I don't consider it to be sacrilegious that I can consider both equal as to my enjoyment.
    I couldn't agree more, jobucats. I'm a Tops fan, too, as well as a fan of ALL of the Motown artists. It rubs me the wrong way when certain people can't express their devotion of the Tops without simultaneously trashing the other Motown groups [[which seems to happen any time somebody chooses another artist's version over the Tops' version. [[If he/she will re-read what I said, they'lI see that I stated that Levi's vocals are great on his version, as always. It's the MIX that I don't care for, which is why I prefer Bobby Taylor's version, plus the fact that I've loved Bobby's for at least 3 decades longer than I've known Levi's previously-inreleased version. I really wanted to love Martha's version, but, for whatever reason, she sang the entire track in falsetto which I don't care for at all. But that's just me.

Some people need to get the bugs out of their ass. Thinking they're slick by saying
    "Certain People".

Spare us the constant, obnoxious arrogance and show some respect to your fellow Motown enthusiasts for a change. Your opinions are not the be-all, end-all gospel!

I have to agree with Gary. ftbiggestfan, while I love your enthusiasm about everything Four Tops, I find it sad that this has to go hand in hand with negativity about other things. Someone's preference for Bobby Taylor's version doesn't, or shouldn't, take away from your enjoyment of Levi's version. We are all entitled to our opinions.

I like all versions, including the as-yet not mentioned, Jackson Five version!!!!

All honest opinions are honest even if they differ from one’s own. Does that really need to be stated here? Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    All honest opinions are honest even if they differ from one’s own. Does that really need to be stated here? Unbelievable.
    Hey Kenny! You're so right. Are you back from vacation?

Hey buddy! No I am still in Detroit. Having a great time.

Got your email and will fill you in there.

This thread is Bizzarre. I don’t usually step in when there’s tempers flared but I can’t believe anyone is attacked for having a different opinion than someone else.

K. Talk with you soon!