[REMOVE ADS]

Jean Carne ...what happened?

She seems to be a great talent. I have one of her Philadelphia International albums which is very good. She had a number one record when she left Motown and apparently recorded another Motown album that wasn’t released. How was her Motown album? Was it promoted?

i never listened to any of her Motown recordings, but you are right Jean Carne is a very talented singer. The last time I saw her she sang at Levi Stubbs funeral.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    She seems to be a great talent. I have one of her Philadelphia International albums which is very good. She had a number one record when she left Motown and apparently recorded another Motown album that wasn’t released. How was her Motown album? Was it promoted?
    Jean still performs, albeit not quite as regularly as she once did. Her four Philly albums remain her crowning glory. They are all excellent and worth checking out.
    I am unaware of an unreleased Motown album, but i shall try to find out more. Her released Motown album was a disappointment to many people. There were only a couple of tracks that stood out for me. Jean was very unhappy with the lack of promotion it received and does not speak fondly of her short stint there.
    Closer than Close was a beautiful track, but the album was nothing special.

Luke, I was never particularly crazy about Jean Carne's "Trust Me" LP on Motown [[1982). If memory serves correctly, the only tracks I really liked were both cover versions -- Martha's "My Baby Loves Me" and Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes' "If You Don't Know Me By Now". To my ears, the rest of the album was pretty forgettable. [[Jean's performance was top-notch, as always, but the songs sucked.) Overall, the album paled miserably when compared to Jean's 4 Philly Soul albums which were, by far, superior.

However, Jean recorded one excellent Motown track on which she appeared as a guest vocalist on the 1982 LP "Rick James Presents Bobby M: Blow" [[Gordy). [[Bobby M is Bobby Militello who plays sax.) Again, the track is another cover -- this time of Al Green's "Let's Stay Together". Motown really dropped the ball on this one. If they had promoted it properly, it could have and should have become a sizable hit. The timing was ripe, as it had been 10 years since Al Green's original version topped the charts in 1972. And the new production sounded fresh and exciting -- especially with that sultry sax complimenting Jean's vocal throughout. For whatever reason, Motown didn't bother to include "Let's Stay Together" on Jean's "Trust Me" album. If they had, it would have been the best track on there.

JEAN CARNE w/BOBBY M - "Let's Stay Together"
    https://youtu.be/3RLNDCVIIVU

Hey Boogiedown - I know how much you love Al Green's orginal version of "Let's Stay Together". What do you think of Jean Carne's Motown rendition?

Hi!

The album discography: https://www.soulexpress.net/jeancarne_discography.htm

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    i never listened to any of her Motown recordings, but you are right Jean Carne is a very talented singer. The last time I saw her she sang at Levi Stubbs funeral.
    You attended Levi's funeral?

I think Jean's best work was with her then husband and music partner, Doug. I think their work together was a sort of music that suited Jean best.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    You attended Levi's funeral?
    Yes. I knew him.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I think Jean's best work was with her then husband and music partner, Doug. I think their work together was a sort of music that suited Jean best.
    I remember seeing a couple of their albums back in the 70's, but i don't think i ever heard any of the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I remember seeing a couple of their albums back in the 70's, but i don't think i ever heard any of the music.
    Those lps were quite the African-American intelligentsia soundtracks of their time here in the Newark/NYC/Philly geographic area and garnered good airplay on jazz and progressive type college radio. 'Infant Eyes', 'Spirit of a New Land' and 'Revelations' as I recall. Very beautiful and exciting work, but progressive jazz, not bound for hit-single type listening. Worth seeking out.

When Motown signed her, they tried to push her career...even to the point of asking Jean to sing a Vandellas song on a television special with Martha on the same show. Obviously, Martha didn't take well to it and reportedly stormed off the set [[I've gotten this directly from a person who was there) , only to be threatened by Berry Gordy to return to the taping, which she did...

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yes. I knew him.
    Thanks. This is shameful of me, but I did not even remember that Jean was signed to Motown.

I agree after the excellent TSOP albums, Trust Me album on Motown seriously missed the mark. I guess no amount of promotion would have saved that album.

I note Jean is credited as the arranger and as a co-produced, along with Norman Connors, so I imagine she played a major part in the selection and recording of the material.

I have that motown lp as well,and agree it's not too hot but jean's singing is always hot!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post

However, Jean recorded one excellent Motown track on which she appeared as a guest vocalist on the 1982 LP "Rick James Presents Bobby M: Blow" [[Gordy). [[Bobby M is Bobby Militello who plays sax.) Again, the track is another cover -- this time of Al Green's "Let's Stay Together". Motown really dropped the ball on this one. If they had promoted it properly, it could have and should have become a sizable hit. The timing was ripe, as it had been 10 years since Al Green's original version topped the charts in 1972. And the new production sounded fresh and exciting -- especially with that sultry sax complimenting Jean's vocal throughout. For whatever reason, Motown didn't bother to include "Let's Stay Together" on Jean's "Trust Me" album. If they had, it would have been the best track on there.

JEAN CARNE w/BOBBY M - "Let's Stay Together"
    https://youtu.be/3RLNDCVIIVU

Hey Boogiedown - I know how much you love Al Green's orginal version of "Let's Stay Together". What do you think of Jean Carne's Motown rendition?
    Welll, I thought "oh oh" when I heard the jarring edit when Jean first starts singing , and yes I miss the galloping pace of the original, the playful guitar accompaniment , the strings, BUT , this isn't meant to be a duplication , and ten years later the dominant sax is OK , and Jean is true enough to the original that she does it respectable justice. Her voice is superb here, well suited, and I feel like she's singing a song she genuinely likes. I only wish that when something starts really kicking in at about the four minute mark , instead of going with it, the cut fades out.
    Thumbs up.

Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-16-2019 at 03:12 AM.

She will always be remembered for that great dance classic:
    Was That All It Was [[ 12" Extended )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1WuLUkd-lI

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Welll, I thought "oh oh" when I heard the jarring edit when Jean first starts singing , and yes I miss the galloping pace of the original, the playful guitar accompaniment , the strings, BUT , this isn't meant to be a duplication , and ten years later the dominant sax is OK , and Jean is true enough to the original that she does it respectable justice. Her voice is superb here, well suited, and I feel like she's singing a song she genuinely likes. I only wish that when something starts really kicking in at about the four minute mark , instead of going with it, the cut fades out.
    Thumbs up.

Boogie, I had a feeling you might like Jean's version once you heard it all the way through. Never meant to replace Al Green's original, I think it compliments it nicely. You're right, it peters out right when it starts cookin'. Maybe we should get mosogotam to work his extended-remix magic on it! John?

BTW, Boogie, I didn't mean to drop the ball in the middle of our Rhodes Chalmers Rhodes conversation. A few days ago, my Smartphone died on me. The damned screen went on it. I had to buy a new one which, believe me, was an unexpected expense. Anyway, I hadn't forgotten about you. I've just been busy learning how to use the new phone and some other stuff. I'll get back to that conversation soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Boogie, I had a feeling you might like Jean's version once you heard it all the way through. Never meant to replace Al Green's original, I think it compliments it nicely. You're right, it peters out right when it starts cookin'. Maybe we should get mosogotam to work his extended-remix magic on it! John?

BTW, Boogie, I didn't mean to drop the ball in the middle of our Rhodes Chalmers Rhodes conversation. A few days ago, my Smartphone died on me. The damned screen went on it. I had to buy a new one which, believe me, was an unexpected expense. Anyway, I hadn't forgotten about you. I've just been busy learning how to use the new phone and some other stuff. I'll get back to that conversation soon.
    I getcha Gary. It's hard at times to maintain communications on sites like this. Takes time for starters and we've all got other things going on. Sorry about the phone ! I'll watch for your response on Rhodes Chalmers Rhodes - look forward to it.